1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptism Question

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Dietrich Johnson, Mar 26, 2022.

1. Dietrich Johnson

Dietrich Johnson Member

+31
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Today I was reading in the Orthodox Study Bible lectionary, which had a reference to Hebrews 6:4. When I turned to Hebrews 6:4, I found a note which said "one is once enlightened in baptism which is unrepeatable". Can this enlightenment happen if one is baptized outside the Orthodox Church?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+18,010
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    sort of. even when folks are received in other ways, it’s always with the notion that whatever was lacking in the heterodox baptism is being corrected.

3. ArmyMatt

+18,010
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I mean, if we truly and officially viewed certain heterodox baptisms as valid, no one could ever enter into Orthodoxy from those confessions by baptism ever.

and some of the more conservative receive everyone by baptism.

4. Dietrich Johnson

Dietrich Johnson Member

+31
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    At what point someone is enlightened seems to be an essential question. Do you mean to say that the perspective of the Church is that baptism outside the church is partially (but not fully) enlightening?

5. ArmyMatt

+18,010
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    it’s at least not fully enlightening. at most, it’s not enlightening at all. if it was fully enlightening, there wouldn’t be a need to receive folks sacramentally into the Church.