sparkle123

Site Supporter
May 1, 2015
✟64,572.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all. It's been a while since I've posted here, so a short introduction: I converted about 2 years ago from a western form of Buddhism/agnosticism. My husband did not convert and has no apparent interest but has been supportive. I've had trouble connecting with people at my church my own age. It's a big church and I am new to church culture, don't feel like I fit in easy due to background, I'm introverted, etc.

Anyway. I had my first child, my daughter, a few weeks ago. Hooray! She's such a blessing and I am overjoyed to get to be her mother, sleepless nights and all. I want her to be baptized and I plan to do my best to raise her in the faith. I only speak to a few people in my church with any regularity. The couple I asked to sponsor/godparent declined due to their age, which makes sense but leaves me with no one else I actually speak to or know. The other person I know is more nominal with her faith and not really practicing. Then there's my godparent. So... I have two options, I suppose. Ask someone I don't really know or talk to my priest about the situation. It's really humbling and difficult. I do "know" one family down the street that invite my husband and I over when I converted but we didn't keep in touch after. They are very pious seeming, active in church, etc... but I don't know them and haven't spoke at all during this pregnancy. And this seems like a big thing to ask (godparents).

I've been pretty sad over this I don't know what to do. There are several women from the church bringing meals over as part of a church hospitality thing postpartum but many of them I don't even recognize the names. I am very grateful for the generosity but again, I just don't have friendships with these folks. Any suggestions or experiences you share would be helpful. And of course, I know I can talk to my priest, I'm just wondering if I should reach out to others instead/as well..

• Prayers
Reactions: HereIStand

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi all. It's been a while since I've posted here, so a short introduction: I converted about 2 years ago from a western form of Buddhism/agnosticism. My husband did not convert and has no apparent interest but has been supportive. I've had trouble connecting with people at my church my own age. It's a big church and I am new to church culture, don't feel like I fit in easy due to background, I'm introverted, etc.

Anyway. I had my first child, my daughter, a few weeks ago. Hooray! She's such a blessing and I am overjoyed to get to be her mother, sleepless nights and all. I want her to be baptized and I plan to do my best to raise her in the faith. I only speak to a few people in my church with any regularity. The couple I asked to sponsor/godparent declined due to their age, which makes sense but leaves me with no one else I actually speak to or know. The other person I know is more nominal with her faith and not really practicing. Then there's my godparent. So... I have two options, I suppose. Ask someone I don't really know or talk to my priest about the situation. It's really humbling and difficult. I do "know" one family down the street that invite my husband and I over when I converted but we didn't keep in touch after. They are very pious seeming, active in church, etc... but I don't know them and haven't spoke at all during this pregnancy. And this seems like a big thing to ask (godparents).

I've been pretty sad over this I don't know what to do. There are several women from the church bringing meals over as part of a church hospitality thing postpartum but many of them I don't even recognize the names. I am very grateful for the generosity but again, I just don't have friendships with these folks. Any suggestions or experiences you share would be helpful. And of course, I know I can talk to my priest, I'm just wondering if I should reach out to others instead/as well..
I will pray Jesus will guide your steps so that you know what to do to have these struggles resolved.

Reactions: sparkle123
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome back and congratulations on the birth of your daughter!!! :) What a blessing. :)

If I were in your position, I would talk to the priest, or someone who knows the piety and connectedness of various persons. I don't think your sponsor can sponsor your child btw. But I'm not absolutely positive.

Part of the sponsorship role is to increase ties between families. If you can identify a person who is pious and serious about their faith, and connected to others in the parish, such a person would be ideal for a godparent relationship. Even if you don't know them well, that can grow. There are certain things it would be best to discover in advance, to make sure they won't be too imposing on matters that aren't theirs to decide or that they won't abandon their relationship, but if they interact well with the faith those extremes are less likely.

Perhaps you can find the names of some who have brought you meals, and so on, and take those names to your priest to discuss? Or perhaps the couple you wished to ask can make suggestions?

But it is a wonderful opportunity to cultivate a relationship, and since you seem to desire that, I would not lose that opportunity. :)

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟488,558.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

I probably should not be posting here as I follow a different tradition; I thought you may be interested in other positions. I found my Baptism certificate recently when going through some of my mother's old papers, no mention of godparents. I was seven months old and are now 78 years old; I was baptised again when I was around 50.

The baptism by John the Baptist was an antitype or continuation from the sanctuary service where the Priests washed the sin from their hand before performing their duties in the temple. I have no idea how infant baptism is reconciled with scripture. In the new covenant there is one sacrifice that is Jesus, one priesthood which is us with Jesus, one sanctuary service and one baptism before the service.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I probably should not be posting here as I follow a different tradition; I thought you may be interested in other positions. I found my Baptism certificate recently when going through some of my mother's old papers, no mention of godparents. I was seven months old and are now 78 years old; I was baptised again when I was around 50.

The baptism by John the Baptist was an antitype or continuation from the sanctuary service where the Priests was the sin from their hand before performing their duties in the temple. I have no idea how infant baptism is reconciled with scripture. In the new covenant there is one sacrifice that is Jesus, one priesthood which is us with Jesus, one sanctuary service and one baptism before the service.

Hello, and welcome to TAW.

You are right - CF rules for every congregational forum prevent people who do not hold that faith from posting anything that teaches against it in that forum. If you would like to discuss the issue, please post in our St. Justin Martyr's subforum, where debate is allowed.

We can there explain why we baptize infants, what the Scripture teaches (and does not teach) and so on, and you may discuss/debate if you wish.

There is no point in turning a member's thread about joy in the birth of her child and her desire to welcome that child into the faith and bring them up as Christians have been doing for millennia into a debate.

Thank you for understanding. :)

God be with you.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you feel like the couple who visited first would make good Godparents, then talk to your priest about them. He will have to approve Godparents anyway. We met with the priest prior to our baptism with a list of possible names. We weren't really all that close to anyone in the church prior. Recently a young man was baptized and he shared with me that he didn't know who to ask. I think the priest made a good suggestion to him.
There are other things to consider rather than being a sponsor. Your child becomes part of the Godparents' family. My children cannot marry the children of my Godfather. It really does make a connection.

Upvote 0

sparkle123

Site Supporter
May 1, 2015
✟64,572.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I talked to my priest and he gave some suggestions including him finding someone. I decided to ask a couple he suggested on my own. She was the one who organized food for us. I hope they say yes, but we'll see.

Upvote 0