Visit site
✟1,021,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lately I've been reading a lot about the Charisma in the Orthodox Church. I read that St. Symeon, the New Theologian wrote "When someone suddenly lifts up his gaze and contemplates the nature of existing things in a way that he had never done before, then he is filled with amazement and sheds spontaneous tears without any sense of anguish. These tears purify him and wash him in a second baptism, that baptism of which our Lord speaks in the Gospels when He says, 'if someone is not born through water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of heaven.' Again He says, 'if someone is not born from above' (cf. John 3:5,7). When he said 'from above', He signified being born from the Spirit......The second baptism is no longer a type of the truth, but it is the truth itself.'

Is this typical of the Eastern Orthodox/and or Greek Orthodox church? I'm not Orthodox (I'm Pentecostal at this time) but I am very interested in learning about the Orthodox Church.

Reactions: archer75

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Upvote 0

Gideon4God

Jan 12, 2003
✟8,009.00
Faith
Other Religion
Upvote 0
This is an explanation of the The Baptismal Font. A key element of the Orthodox service.

-----------------------------------
The baptismal font in the language of the Church Fathers is the Divine Womb whence we receive the second birth as children of God. Baptism is truly a birth.

"But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God; who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God" (John 1:12-13).
When a person is Baptised, they descend into the baptismal font. As the water closes over the head, it is like being buried in a grave. When the newly baptised emerges from the water, it is like rising from the grave. Baptism represents our old, sinful nature dying and then being resurrected again by Christ in a new and cleansed form. As St. Paul says, "Do you not know that all of us who have been baptised into Christ Jesus were baptised into his death. We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father we, too, might walk in newness of life" (Romans 6:3-4).

http://home.it.net.au/~jgrapsas/pages/Baptism.htm

Upvote 0

CopticOrthodox

Mar 16, 2003
Visit site
✟515.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
I believe the normal understanding of "of water and the Spirit" is the two Sacraments of Baptism, and Confirmation, which Orthodox receive together, as is the ancient practice. When reading the Fathers it's a good idea to keep in mind that sometimes we shouldn't take one quote apart from the rest and read it as we'd normally read stuff. A lot of the fathers would sometimes go to extremes to make a point, eg. today salvation is by fasting, the next day it's by repentance, the next day it's by Communion, the next by Baptism... It's not that they were contridicting themselves or changing their minds, it's just a style of writting that's not much used today where you go to an extreme to make a point, trusting that your listeners/readers have some background knowledge and that that's not all they're going to take. I don't know if that's the case here, I don't know much about this saint.

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It seems funny to think of St. Symian as a "charismatic". One understanding I have (though I'm not well versed on the subject at all) is that the filioque subordinated the Holy Spirit, so that an eventual revival in the Holy Spirit, as in charismatic, seemed necessary to some in the West. The East had never let go of it though, and this revival was not necessary.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.