✟26,728.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
From the Catholic Encyclopedia article.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Baptism
The baptism of blood

The baptism of blood (baptismus sanquinis) is the obtaining of the grace of justification by suffering martyrdom for the faith of Christ. The term "washing of blood" (lavacrum sanguinis) is used by Tertullian (On Baptism 16) to distinguish this species of regeneration from the "washing of water" (lavacrum aquæ). "We have a second washing", he says "which is one and the same [with the first], namely the washing of blood." St. Cyprian (Epistle 73) speaks of "the most glorious and greatest baptism of blood" (sanguinis baptismus). St. Augustine (City of God 13.7) says: "When any die for the confession of Christ without having received the washing of regeneration, it avails as much for the remission of their sins as if they had been washed in the sacred font of baptism."
The Church grounds her belief in the efficacy of the baptism of blood on the fact that Christ makes a general statement of the saving power of martyrdom in the tenth chapter of St. Matthew: "Every one therefore that shall confess me before men, I will also confess him before my Father who is in heaven" (verse 32); and: "He that shall lose his life for me shall find it" (verse 39). It is pointed out that these texts are so broadly worded as to include even infants, especially the latter text. That the former text also applies to them, has been constantly maintained by the Fathers, who declare that if infants can not confess Christ with the mouth, they can by act. Tertullian (Against the Valentinians 2) speaks of the infants slaughtered by Herod as martyrs, and this has been the constant teaching of the Church.
Another evidence of the mind of the Church as to the efficacy of the baptism of blood is found in the fact that she never prays for martyrs. Her opinion is well voiced by St. Augustine (Tractate 74 on the Gospel of John): "He does an injury to a martyr who prays for him." This shows that martyrdom is believed to remit all sin and all punishment due to sin. Later theologians commonly maintain that the baptism of blood justifies adult martyrs independently of an act of charity or perfect contrition, and, as it were, ex opere operato, though, of course, they must have attrition for past sins. The reason is that if perfect charity, or contrition, were required in martyrdom, the distinction between the baptism of blood and the baptism of desire would be a useless one. Moreover, as it must be conceded that infant martyrs are justified without an act of charity, of which they are incapable, there is no solid reason for denying the same privilege to adults. (Cf. Francisco Suárez, De Bapt., disp. xxxix.)

B

Basil the Great

The baptism of blood doctrine would appear to apply only to those who have a desire to become Christians, but have not yet been baptized, and then die while professing the Christian faith. However, I do not believe that the baptism by desire and the baptism by blood doctrines have ever been taught with the stamp of Papal infallibility. Hence, some Ultra-Traditional Catholics still cling to a strict interpretation of the EENS salvation doctrine and insist that Catholic water Baptism is necessary for salvation.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
However, I do not believe that the baptism by desire and the baptism by blood doctrines have ever been taught with the stamp of Papal infallibility. Hence, some Ultra-Traditional Catholics still cling to a strict interpretation of the EENS salvation doctrine and insist that Catholic water Baptism is necessary for salvation.

Would you elaborate please? I mean, Jesus said that Baptism is necessary for salvation, but as we know, while we are bound to observe the Sacraments that God gave us, God can do whatever He wants.

I learned about the Baptism of Blood teaching long before Vatican II (usually any teaching held before Vatican II is considered "strict interpretation and ultra-traditional) so I fail to see how a "stamp of Papal infallibility" has anything to do with this teaching. And as far as "Baptism of Desire" is concerned, I thought that it came into play only when the person is studying to become a Catholic, but dies before he/she can be Baptized.

Upvote 0
B

Basil the Great

I suppose that a case can be made that the Baptism by Blood and Baptism by Desire doctrines are protected by the Infallibility of the Ordinary Magisterium, since they have been taught now for many centuries? I was only pointing out that those who claim that water Baptism is necessary to salvation and there are not many of such folks left in this day and age, would remind us that no Pope has ever issed an infallible decree defining the two Baptism doctrines as Dogma.

Upvote 0
D

Deleteriousnonsense

I imagine that the doctrines of the Baptism of Blood and the Baptism of Desire were especially important in the early Church. In those days persecution of the Church was rampant and bloody, while at the same time so many chose to remain catechumens until their deathbeads based on the misconception that their sins would be less likely to be forgiven after Baptism of Water.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
[SIZE=+3]Baptism and the Baptism of Desire [/SIZE]</SPAN>

By Raymond Taouk

What is the Church's teaching on the Necessity of Baptism?

It is by baptism that we are incorporated into the mystical body of Christ. However, what makes a member of the Church primarily in a certain sense is our faith, since even amongst the damned souls in hell there are those who have the baptismal character and yet are not members of the Church in any sense of the term. While the sacraments give a visible dimension to the faith, as an external profession of the Church, it is nevertheless true to state that faith then is a more fundamental requirement for Church membership.[1] For that reason the Church teaches that, &#8220;Baptism of water is really necessary by necessity of means, but extrinsically only, according to the positive will of God. But what is necessary only extrinsically can be supplied through something else; it was altogether fitting that this would be supplied through charity or perfect contrition, which are the best depositions". [2]

While for infants, baptism is the sole means of salvation, (as they cannot make an act of faith, which requires the use of reason), yet it may be rightly affirmed ask if &#8220;regardless of the absolute necessity of baptism for salvation, are there not other means [than that of water] of providing for it? The Fathers [of the Church] admit to baptism of blood or martyrdom, and in a certain measure the baptism of desire, as a means of replacing the baptism of water."[3]

Fr. Marin-Sola states in his theological treaties on the sacraments: &#8220;Certain heretics have affirmed that no adult can be saved without receiving baptism itself before he dies, however much he would burn with desire for it, and that it would do him no good unless he were washed with water. Baius (in a proposition condemned by Pope V) also taught that charity was not always joined to the remission of sins.&#8221; He continues on to state &#8220;Against the second part (baptism of blood) there are hardly any adversaries, save for a few theologians who disagree over the manner in which martyrdom achieves its effect.&#8221; [4]

Is this the constant teaching of the Church?

This doctrine has been taught by doctors of the Church throughout her history from the earliest days down to recent times: "the Doctrine that Baptism of Water may be replaced by the Baptism of desire or by Baptism of Blood is not, as is some times supposed, a recent development of doctrine, it is taught for instance by St. Gregory Nazianzen in a sermon preached in 381,[5] where mention is made of the Baptism of water, of Martyrdom and of tears. It must be observed that we do not hold that there are three kinds of Baptism, for in the creed read in the Mass, we confess one Baptism for the remission of sins, the actual reception of which, however, may be replaced in either of the two ways mentioned." [6]

Baptism of desire is not the sacrament of baptism and yet applying the term &#8220;baptism&#8221; to the baptism of blood and baptism of desire has been a practice of the Church for centuries. Even if it is not a baptism in the strict sense, it nevertheless is a baptism in the analogical sense. Just as receiving the Eucharist by making a spiritual &#8220;Communion&#8221; is not a true Communion, but given the name &#8220;Spiritual Communion&#8221; in the analogical sense. In both cases, no one is denying the primary term. On the same point, St. Albert the Great says that the baptism of blood and the baptism of desire can only be called baptism when water baptism is lacking.[7]

In this sense, "Baptisms of desire" and "Baptism of blood" are not sacraments, but simply fulfill the requirements when the sacrament cannot be received due to extraordinary circumstances. Thus, one speaks metaphorically of "different Baptisms" yet they all obtain the same sanctifying grace. In fact, Our Lord Himself spoke of different Baptisms during His public ministry. There was "the Baptism wherewith I am to be baptized" (Lk. 12:50), referring to a Baptism of blood, which was His crucifixion. Describing the descent of the Holy Ghost on Pentecost, he says "For John indeed baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost, not many days hence" (Act. 1:5).

Concerning the necessity of the sacraments for salvation Peter Lombard (1160 AD) points out that, &#8220;God did not bind his power by the Sacraments.&#8221;[8] In other words, God is not bound by the sacraments to draw men to heaven (Cf. Job 33:15-18). St. Thomas Aquinas affirms the same as he points out &#8220;It belongs to the excellence of Christ power, that He (Christ) could bestow the sacramental effect without conferring the exterior sacrament.&#8221;[9]

In fact if we turn to the authority of the Church Fathers we also find that their unanimity on the point gives us a sure certitude for this teaching since &#8220;the unanimity of the Fathers (Consensus Patrum), in matters of faith and morals, begets complete certainty and commands assent, because they, as a body, bear witness to the teaching and belief of the infallible Church, representing the Church herself. So the authority of the Fathers is binding only when they all agree upon a question of faith and morals. The consensus, however, need not be absolute; a moral agreement suffices, as, for instance, when some of the greatest Fathers testify to a doctrine of the Church, and the rest, though quite aware of it, do not positively oppose it.&#8221; [10]

What does it mean to belong to the Church by desire&#8217; or &#8216;longing&#8217;?....
The Catholic Teaching on the Baptism of Desire

Very complete article. :thumbsup:

Great read for anyone interested in the correct teaching on baptism of desire.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums