Baptism in the Spirit and Infilling of the Spirit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always thought that thru baptism one receavs the Holy Spirit. due to the fact the passage when Jesus gets baptised he receaved the Holy Spirit.

the elders at my congrigation say that the baptisim is a public affirmation of your beliefe in Christ as it symbolises the death,resurection, and life of Christ.

Upvote 0

Josephus

<b>Co-Founder Christian Forums</b>
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
yes there is a difference!

baptism of the Spirit is being given the gifts of the Spirit.
infilling of the Spirit is the power to operate supernaturally with those gifts.

Baptism of the Spirit is the birth of your Spirit man, and I believe it follows conversion. But it is something you have to ask for since it is the equipping of oneself with the gifts of the Spirit. "the Spirit gives as he wills"

The infilling of His power however, is something we are asked to have daily and be walking in continually. "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will."

This is the "renewing of your mind" - the daily renewal of the gifts with which the Holy Spirit gives you for His purpose... in short, it is the supernatural power to operate in His WILL for His glory.

Miracles can only happen when it is His will, and he will only give you supernatural power to do things when the conditions are right for him to be the one recieving the glory. You can be gifted, but still lack the power. The power comes when we are walking in His will.

Upvote 0

Debbie

Dec 11, 2001
Visit site
✟1,142.00
I agree that public baptism is an affirmation of our acceptance of recieving Jesus. I agree that when one INITIALLY RECIEVES/ACCEPTS Jesus as their Saviour they are immediately INDWELT with the Holy Spirit. All of us who are saved have the Holy Spirit dwelling in us, whether or not we have been baptized with water yet. Agreed.
The question I pose is referring to scripture which indicates a "filling" of the Holy SPirit.Acts 4:24 speaks of those who were already indwelt with the Holy Spirit being "filled".

Upvote 0
You need to look at some definitions .

The verse that states. Be not drunk with wine wherein is excess but be filled with the Spirit.

A literal translation of this is " But be being filled with the Spirit" It is not a one time thing but a continual filling. It should be noted that if one can be filled then one may be emptyed of something. We are instructed to remain in a position of being filled with the spirit.

Z

Upvote 0
Being "filled" with the Holy Spirit and being "empowered" by the Holy Spirit are two different and distinct things.

When you believe and are baptised into Christ you are "filled" with the Holy Spirit - this is a one time continual thing that happened at one distinct point in history - Pentecost. The gift of the Holy Spirit has been available to everyone since Pentecost - we just have to believe and be baptised in order to receive this free gift.

The "empowering" of the Holy Spirit does not necessarily mean that one is filled with the Holy Spirit - this is evident in some of the people from the Old Testament. Empowering of the Holy Spirit is the gifts of the Holy Spirit rather than the gift of the Holy Spirit. Two different things.

When you are baptised you are filled with the Holy Spirit.

Does this make it clear or not?

shawn

Upvote 0

Debbie

Dec 11, 2001
Visit site
✟1,142.00
Looks like we are in accord thus far. lol. So are we agreeing that there is only one Baptism of the Holy Spirit, occuring at conversion.
THe infilling then. Can anyone describe this? Does a physical manifestation occur? Can we physically feel this occuring ?
If it is as "He wills" then some folks on Tv must be able to command the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Debbie

Dec 11, 2001
Visit site
✟1,142.00
The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is not indicated by the gift of tongues as many tell me. They confuse the gift of tongues with the baptism. Since I don't speak in tongues, then to them I havn't been baptized in the Spirit.
Can they be confusing the "infilling" with the BAptism?
Josephus, are you saying that the infilling is identified by the supernatural power to use the gift of tongues?
What if your gift is not tongues?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Josephus

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
I was trying to lay a distinction between being given the gifts (asked for after one has recieved Jesus and thus the Spirit in their 'temple'), and the empowerment..or the infilling of the Spirit to operate in those gifts as He wills.

The infilling is identified by whatever gift the Spirit has given you in which you are supernaturally employed to do the will of God. This could mean, giving a prophecy that edifies the whole church, giving an interpretation of a tongue, healing someone, etc.

Tongues are a gift meant for edification (all gifts are). They are not necessarily a sign you are "indwelt" with the Spirit nor a sign you are "infilled" with the Spirit. What is proof of being "filled" with the Spirit is the fruit of your actions via the spiritual gifts God has given you for the moment to use to build the Kingdom. Which could be any one of the gifts mentioned in Corinthians. Tongues is mentioned though in many pentecostal circles as being a requirement; yet I do not see this is so. I instead see tongues as one of the EASIEST gifts to practice since the first time you allow God to use it, it will always be in a setting of praise, worship, or prayer - and we can do that alone with no one watching or thinking we're weird. Speaking in tongues is certianly "fleshly/pridefully" easier than interpreting them, giving a word of prophecy, or word of knowledge in which others can hear and check what you are saying with the word of God.

Since God originally created our bodies, we still can sometimes feel the empowerment through a physical sensation, though I know from experience this isn't always the case...but if our minds are resonating with God's will, then MOST of the time when God DOES use you supernaturally, you will feel several things, all of which are testible fruits of the spirit, and sometimes followed with or is actively a part of a physical/mental sensation of heightened spirituality (since after all God engineered our bodies and thus we aren't just automatons operating in blind 'magic' he wants us to know it's Him and not us that doing what we see Him doing through us).

I've given words of prophecy in that, spoken and interpreted tongues, healed, seen miracles happen ... all because I humbled myself to the point of just letting God do what He wanted to do.

Upvote 0

Debbie

Dec 11, 2001
Visit site
✟1,142.00
Thanks. Very well explained. SO we are in agreement that the baptism of the Holy Spirit/filling/dwelling occurs at conversion.
The Infilling/empowerment occurs when we humble ourselves to allow God to do with us as He wills, to glorify Him thru us, with HIs gifts. Agreed?
HOw is it then that the healing ministries we see on tv are in man's time? Is this when He wills?
Someone told me that they only read the Bible when they are "in the Spirit". Am I to understand that people can command the Holy Spirit to infill them as they wish? I thought it was as He wills?
Now what about the method used to obtain this initial infilling to use or obtain a gift? What if someone has prayed for a certain gift,fasted, etc, then nothing happens til they go to sleep.Wouldnt you think that God would infill you while you were awake? It tends to make me think of a counterfeit gift instead. ANy ideas?

Upvote 0

Josephus

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
Yes we are in agreement.

The stuff on TV many times is someone operating in the gift God has given them...but not the power. And it is evident. When someone operates a gift in His power it is God getting the glory not the person. You can always test the source of power by the fruit it produces.

We can't command, but we are encouraged to ask Him to fill us daily, to always be ready, but we can't do it in pride or else we're cutting off our feet. This is what is most sad when people prophecy on TV or something. Are they doing it for themselves out of obligation to their position (pride), or for the Holy Spirit who wishes to do something Himself, regardless of who he uses?

Your second question about "how to" if you're not 'getting anything': I would answer, check your motives. Then find out what God wants YOU to do, rather than the otherway around. There's a big-word term for this... lemme think... ah yes, paradigm shift. I think it fits. Get God's perspective, not yours. He already KNOWS your perspective. *g :)

I've often found I've gotten my passion from God's perspective of things. And when that happens, God does things! Incredible things! Thinking about maybe writing a book "Passion through Perspective." Kinda see how Jesus walked, "had compassion" and "did something." It's because He always had the Father's heart, the Father's mind, and the Father's will. We should too. Think of Him using you as an instrument. Not the other way around. Sometimes instruments are just put on the shelf for a moment while God uses another. It's how He works. It's how he works to get the glory. :) I just like to think of myself as a glory mirror. I shine it back on him. :) I'm just the baseball, he's the one who hit the home run. When it's my turn, I just sail through the sky. He's the one running the bases. *g

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Josephus

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
"infilling" is simply the power and Spirit of God comming upon you. He can come upon you when you are asleep too, giving you dreams, or visions, or whatever he's wanting to do to prepare you as His instrument of glory.

Counterfiets are determined by the fruit they leave behind. Go to Galations to find out what the fruit of the Spirit is. Everything opposite of those fruits should be an indication that what produced them was not of the Spirit.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.