Visit site
✟15,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have a teaching on baptism with the Holy Spirit, but it's sort of long (6 pages in Word). Are there character/word count limits I should be aware of? I can break it up into smaller chunks if need be. I generally post at CARM, but I just found this place and it looks very nice. I was happy to see we're not referred to as "Campbellite's" or some such.

coCTruth

church of Christ
Feb 21, 2009
Lakewood, Colorado
Visit site
✟15,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Baptism en Holy Spirit

Acts 17:11 Now these were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of the mind, examining the Scriptures daily, whether these things were so.

In examining scripture, I have found more than a few discrepancies with the commonly held view of the body toward “Baptism of the Holy Spirit”. I think we know the study of the Holy Spirit can be tedious, but I’ve always found it to be rewarding. I seek first to point out the discrepancies, but I also offer a solution. The solution is not 100% iron-clad, but I believe falls more in line with scripture in many different areas than the traditional view. Though my premise is decidedly a paradigm shift of some magnitude, the premise does nothing to current church of Christ thought but refine and further define it. A similar view was held by Robert Milligan and Moses Lard, but not in quite the same manner. My premise came about largely by “accident” as I was doing some word analysis using various lexicographic tools. I do not claim to be a Greek grammarian by any stretch of the imagination, though if this premise sprouts some legs, I may take up a more serious study. I offer this work to the refining fire of my brethren and trust that if there is any legitimacy to the premise, someone of a higher caliber than I will help with any fine tuning. The search here is for truth, not accolades.

Let me begin by saying that if what I found is actually true, the immediate and potential ramifications are staggering, to say the least. With that in mind, I’ll try to keep this as readable and easy to understand as possible with a prayerful mind bound in the divinely inspired and infallible word of God. I believe I have done what (at least in my mind) is a thorough study, but this isn’t the type of thing one takes to the masses on a whim. With that said, and again, with prayerful and humble minds, let us begin.

I will first offer up the discrepancies, a summary of the premise, and then the scriptural proofs. All translations are ASV unless otherwise noted.

DISCREPANCIES WITH THE CURRENT DOCTRINE OF THE BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT:

The phrase “baptism of the Holy Spirit” is foreign to scripture.

John spoke of Jesus baptizing “you” (humas) en pneumati hagioi

The future Apostles were most likely not present when John made his announcement in Mat 3:11, Mar 1:8, Luk 3:16, and Joh 1:33. “…He shall baptize you…” is not limited to the Apostles.

Joh 14:16-17 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may be with you for ever, 17 even the Spirit of truth: whom the world cannot receive; for it beholdeth him not, neither knoweth him: ye know him; for he abideth with you, and shall be in you.

** The Spirit of truth came from the Father and would abide with and actually be in the Apostles. Below, we see He was given to bear witness of Jesus. The giving was limited to the Apostles. No mention of a baptism with the Holy Spirit. Of special note (as we’ll see below with the definition of “en” - en pneumati hagioi), is the fact that there is no “the” in any of the passages concerning the baptism ‘en’ Holy Spirit, and the en is specifically translated in context to mean “with the”, “through the”, “in the power of”, or “by means of”.. in other words, the Holy Spirit as the instrument or means by which we’re baptized. The KJV/NASB renders “with the” for ‘en’, but the ASV renders “in the”, suggesting immersion in the Holy Spirit, which is incorrect. Now note that John 14:17 says (again, for the Apostles) that He (the Holy Spirit) “shall be in you”. We also see many passages speaking of the Spirit dwelling in Christians, but the point is, we do not see anyone being immersed (Gr. baptized) in the Holy Spirit… not even the Apostles.

Joh 14:25-26 These things have I spoken unto you, while yet abiding with you. 26 But the Comforter, even the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said unto you.

** The ‘teaching’/‘bringing to remembrance…’ was limited to the Apostles. Here, the Comforter, even the Holy Spirit, was whom the “Father will send” in Jesus’ name. No mention of a baptism with the Holy Spirit.

Joh 15:26-27 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall bear witness of me: 27 and ye also bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

** Limited to Apostles. Note that in v16, the Father “shall give” another Comforter, and in v26, Jesus “will send” the Comforter “from the Father”, even the Spirit of truth which “proceedeth from the Father”. No mention of a baptism with the Holy Spirit.

Joh 16:7-14 Nevertheless I tell you the truth: It is expedient for you that I go away; for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I go, I will send him unto you. 8 And he, when he is come, will convict the world in respect of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 of righteousness, because I go to the Father, and ye behold me no more; 11 of judgment, because the prince of this world hath been judged. 12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. 13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he shall guide you into all the truth: for he shall not speak from himself; but what things soever he shall hear, these shall he speak: and he shall declare unto you the things that are to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall take of mine, and shall declare it unto you.

** No mention of a baptism with the Holy Spirit. The Comforter that Jesus shall send will “convict the world in respect of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment”. The Spirit of truth “shall guide you (speaking here only to the Apostles) into all the truth”

Act 1:6-8 They therefore, when they were come together, asked him, saying, Lord, dost thou at this time restore the kingdom to Israel? 7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know times or seasons, which the Father hath set within His own authority. 8 But ye shall receive power, when the Holy Spirit is come upon you: and ye shall be my witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea and Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

** The same type (though for the Apostles, a much higher degree) of power that was received by Cornelius, his house, and those disciples the Apostles would later lay their hands upon. The language is “receive”, “Holy Spirit”, and “come upon”, the same type of language used in Acts 19:6; 10:47; and 8:15,17,19.

Mat 10:19 But when they deliver you up, be not anxious how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that hour what ye shall speak.

** The same “bringing to remembrance” of John 14:26.

Mar 13:11 And when they lead you to judgment, and deliver you up, be not anxious beforehand what ye shall speak: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye; for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Spirit.

** Neither passage speaks of a baptism with the Holy Spirit.

When the Acts 19:2 question by Paul, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when ye believed” was answered with not merely a “Nay”, but also, “we did not so much as hear whether the Holy Spirit was given.”, Paul immediately knew to ask about their baptism. I stipulate Paul knew the Ephesus disciples were not only unaware of the gift of the Holy Spirit received upon being baptized in Christ’s name, but also were not aware that in Christ’s baptism, John’s prophecy is fulfilled. Jesus baptizes en (with the) Holy Spirit.

John 14, 15, 16, and Acts 1:6-8 do not speak of a “baptism en Holy Spirit” performed by Jesus, but of the Comforter, Spirit of Truth, and the Holy Spirit that proceeds from/is given by the Father and is sent by the Son.

John 16:7-14 speaks of the Comforter that Jesus will send that convicts the world, and the Spirit of Truth that guides the Apostles into all the truth, but still no “baptism en HS”.

Acts 1:6-8 speaks of the Holy Spirit coming upon them so they receive power (to bear witness). No “baptism en Holy Spirit”.

Gr en (en 1722) ~ 2. with: in; then, it is used of what accompanies or characterizes, with, in the power of (not marking the origin or source of the power, but only the character of it). When it refers to an action, it is not (like d?? (dia 1223)) the effective instrument of it, but that which characterizes it.

5. used of that with which a person is surrounded, equipped, furnished, assisted, or acts, [W. § 48, a. 1 b.];

d. of the instrument or means by or with which anything is accomplished, owing to the influence of the Hebr. prep. ?? much more common in the sacred writ. than in prof. auth. (cf. W. § 48, a. 3 d.; B. 181 (157) and 329 (283) sq.), where we say with, by means of, by (through); Bullinger, E. W. A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel Publications, 1999

**Of the approximately 74 definitions of “en”, this is the one specifically used for the “baptism en Holy Spirit” passages.. all of them (Mat 3:11, Mar 1:8, Luk 3:16, Joh 1:33, Acts 1:5 and 11:16).

Lk 24:49 And behold, I send forth the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city, until ye be clothed with power from on high.

** Jesus would be sending the promise of the Father, but they were to tarry until they were clothed with power from on high. The beginning of Jesus baptizing en (by/through/with/in the power of) the Holy Spirit is implied upon Jesus sending forth the promise of the Father (Acts 1:4-5). The Comforter and Spirit of truth (as we saw in the passages of John) are equated with the Apostles being clothed with power from on high.. thus we see two results from what most likely was a single occurrence ..the pouring forth on all nations the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:33; 10:45). Receipt of the Comforter/Spirit of truth in full measure directly by God was limited to the Apostles, but never the promise of the Father or baptism en Holy Spirit

Act 1:4-5 and, being assembled together with them, he charged them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, said he, ye heard from me: 5 for John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized en Holy Spirit not many days hence.

** Here, the promise of the Father is equated directly to “baptism en HS”. No language to limit baptism en Holy Spirit only to the Apostles. This is the same prophecy made by John that was spoken to his crowds. The Apostles would be included, but there is no language here or in John’s prophecy that limits being baptized en Holy Spirit to the Apostles (such as the “whom the world cannot receive; for it beholdeth him not, neither knoweth him: ye know him; for he abideth with you”, “These things have I spoken unto you, while yet abiding with you”, “bring to your remembrance all that I said unto you”, “because ye have been with me from the beginning”, “he shall guide you into all the truth: for he shall not speak from himself; but what things soever he shall hear, these shall he speak: and he shall declare unto you the things that are to come” (alluding to Mat 10:19 and Mar 13:11)-type language we find in the John 14, 15, and 17 passages for the giving and sending of the Comforter and Spirit of truth).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

coCTruth

church of Christ
Feb 21, 2009
Lakewood, Colorado
Visit site
✟15,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
...cont

Act 2:32-33 This Jesus did God raise up, whereof we all are witnesses. 33 Being therefore by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he hath poured forth this, which ye see and hear.

** Jesus received the promise of the Holy Spirit from the Father and poured forth the Holy Spirit (which my premise holds is the gift of the Holy Spirit that was poured out to all that are afar off (and on the Gentiles also - Acts 10:45), which is the promise to Abraham and his seed (Acts 2:39) that is received by as many as will believe (that ‘the Lord our God shall call unto Him’). “The Spirit's work in revelation and confirmation of the Word was temporary. The Spirit's work in regeneration and sanctification is age-lasting.” - Executable Outlines, Copyright © Mark A. Copeland, 2006

Jesus had already baptized by proxy through His disciples..

Joh 4:1-2 When therefore the Lord knew that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus was making and baptizing more disciples than John 2 (although Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples),

..and in the future, would be baptizing through (‘in the power of’ or ‘with’) the Holy Spirit;

Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you in water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Spirit and in fire: ~ KJV

John indeed baptized with water, but we must be born of water and the Spirit..

Mar 1:8 I baptized you in water; But he shall baptize you in the Holy Spirit. ~ ASV (en pneumati hagioi)

Act 19:4 And Paul said, John baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people that they should believe on him that should come after him, that is, on Jesus. 5 And when they heard this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus.

** Neither we nor the Apostles are/were “immersed in the Spirit”, a denominational concept that is foreign to scripture. Romans 6 clearly shows that we are baptized into Christ, and thus baptized into His death. Please note that believers are spoken of as being “filled” with the Spirit both before and after receiving the miraculous gifts of the Holy Spirit through the direct operation of God (as in the case of the Apostles, Cornelius, and his house), the laying on of hands by the Apostles, or even being baptized into Christ:

Luk 1:15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and he shall drink no wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb.

Luk 1:41 And it came to pass, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit;

Luk 1:67 And his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Spirit, and prophesied, saying,

Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Act 4:31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken wherein they were gathered together; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spake the word of God with boldness.

Act 6:3-8 Look ye out therefore, brethren, from among you seven men of good report, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business. 4 But we will continue stedfastly in prayer, and in the ministry of the word. 5 And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolaus a proselyte of Antioch; 6 whom they set before the apostles: and when they had prayed, they laid their hands upon them. 7 And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem exceedingly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith. 8 And Stephen, full of grace and power, wrought great wonders and signs among the people.

Eph 5:18-21 And be not drunken with wine, wherein is riot, but be filled with the Spirit; 19 speaking one to another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; 20 giving thanks always for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father; 21 subjecting yourselves one to another in the fear of Christ.

Luk 3:16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but there cometh he that is mightier than I, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you in the Holy Spirit and in fire: ** The fire of course speaks of a future baptism administered after the day of judgment.

1Co 12:13 For in (by) one Spirit were we all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether bond or free; and were all made to drink of one Spirit.

Joh 1:26-34 John answered them, saying, I baptize in water: in the midst of you standeth one whom ye know not, 27 even he that cometh after me, the latchet of whose shoe I am not worthy to unloose. 28 These things were done in Bethany beyond the Jordan, where John was baptizing. 29 On the morrow he seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold, the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world! 30 This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man who is become before me: for he was before me. 31 And I knew him not; but that he should be made manifest to Israel, for this cause came I baptizing in water. 32 And John bare witness, saying, I have beheld the Spirit descending as a dove out of heaven; and it abode upon him. 33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize in water, he said unto me, Upon whomsoever thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and abiding upon him, the same is he that baptizeth in (‘with’ or ‘in the power of’ the ~ en) Holy Spirit. 34 And I have seen, and have borne witness that this is the Son of God.

** Did you catch in vss 31,33 & 34 that John apparently didn’t realize Jesus was the Son of God until he saw the Spirit descend upon Him as a dove out of heaven? (not a point of the premise, but I thought it was interesting)

Act 1:4-5 and, being assembled together with them, he charged them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, said he, ye heard from me: 5 for John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized in the Holy Spirit not many days hence.

** The Apostles had already been water baptized and/or pronounced clean by Jesus, thus they received the gift of the Holy Spirit when the Spirit was poured out upon all flesh (through Jesus Christ our Saviour), and also (as seen by the tongues parting asunder, like as of fire; that sat upon each one of them) received the promise of the Comforter, the Spirit of Truth, that filled them with the Holy Spirit, giving them all (the remainder that they had not yet received) of the miraculous gifts (and the authority and power to pass on those gifts by the laying on of their hands), enabling them to bear witness and bring in the kingdom of God with power. That day, only the Apostles were clothed with power from on high. The only speculation that remains (where scripture would be silent if this premise is true) is the point in time that the Apostles and the 120 disciples received the gift of the Holy Spirit (that believers receive today upon being baptized in the name of Jesus – Acts 2:38). That same speculation remains under the traditional way of thinking, however.. most in the body of Christ do not claim to know exactly when the Apostles and the 120 disciples received forgiveness of their sins, much less the gift of the Holy Spirit (which the bulk of the cofC labels merely as the “indwelling Spirit”, but which I and many others see as the great promise to Abraham and to his seed, Christ, that we are blessed with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places IN Christ). If the premise is correct, then the language in Acts 1:5 .. “not many days hence”, suggests that the Apostles (and most likely the 120) received the gift of the Holy Spirit the moment the Spirit was poured out upon all flesh. They had believed and were baptized (and the Apostles had already baptized many besides the 120), so needed to be sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise (Eph 1:13).. the (ongoing) renewing of the Holy Spirit. Whether this would mean that the Apostles, the 120, and all that had been baptized by the Apostles under the authority of Christ would need to be re-baptized is (I believe) more accurately answered under this premise; that answer being, most likely not. Still, some speculation remains, as in the traditional view.

Tit 3:5-6 not by works done in righteousness, which we did ourselves, but according to his mercy he saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, 6 which he poured out upon us richly, through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

** When the Holy Spirit was poured out, it was not just for the miraculous gifts to bring in the kingdom with power, but was a gift of the Holy Spirit received by all those who believe and obey Christ, which is the renewing of the Holy Spirit, and every other spiritual blessing we receive IN Christ. Jesus has always baptized us by means of the Holy Spirit, He will continue to do so, and He will be with us "even unto the end of the world."

Act 11:14-18 who shall speak unto thee words, whereby thou shalt be saved, thou and all thy house. 15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell on them, even as on us at the beginning. 16 And I remembered the word of the Lord, how he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized in the Holy Spirit. 17 If then God gave unto them the like gift as he did also unto us, when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I, that I could withstand God? 18 And when they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then to the Gentiles also hath God granted repentance unto life.

** Note it’s the like gift “when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ”. We know that the gift of the Holy Spirit (for those who believed) was not available until Christ was glorified (Joh 7:37-39 Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me and drink. 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, from within him shall flow rivers of living water. 39 But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believed on him were to receive: for the Spirit was not yet given; because Jesus was not yet glorified. cp. Isa 44:3; 58:11, Joe 3:18, Zec 14:8) The Apostles also believed well before Jesus was glorified. I see three possibilities for the meaning of “the like gift”:

1) The ability to speak in tongues – but the Apostles weren’t given that until Pentecost.

2) The gift of the Holy Spirit received upon belief and baptism into Christ, in the sense of being blessed with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places IN Christ [similar, but more comprehensive than what most refer to as the ‘indwelling Spirit’]. This also could only have happened to the Apostles on the day of Pentecost when the Spirit was poured out on all flesh, thus well after they believed.

3) One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit [the spiritual blessings we are blessed with] is eternal life IN Christ. For anyone after the cross, this could only come about after having believed in God [because they believed and obeyed the gospel] by hearing the word, believing it, repenting, confessing Christ, and being baptized in the name of Jesus – (see John 12:44; Acts 16:31,33-34). Jesus had the authority to directly forgive sins while He was on earth. The like gift of eternal life in Christ was given to both the Apostles and Cornelius (and his house) when they believed on the Lord Jesus. To the Apostles, way back when they first believed Jesus in the gospels, and to Cornelius and his house, when they believed on the Lord Jesus through hearing Peter speak those words by which they should be saved.. i.e., when they believed, repented, confessed Jesus as the Son of God, and were baptized (BY Jesus, with the Holy Spirit) through submersion in water (the water of regeneration) in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of their sins (see Acts 2:38).

The Apostles, on the day of Pentecost, already had the power to heal the sick, cleanse lepers, cast out demons, and raise the dead. (Mat 10:5-8; Luk 9:1-5) This is relevant in light of what we’ve seen in John 14, 15, 16, Luk 24, and Acts 1, which is receiving the Spirit of Truth/Comforter/Holy Spirit that would guide them into all the truth.

The Apostles were to be equipped with the mind of Christ (1 Cor 2:16) so they could speak infallibly the word of the Lord. When John was speaking to his crowds, he would say, “I indeed baptize you with water, but He will baptize YOU (everyone) en Holy Spirit. Never was the baptism en Holy Spirit spoken of as being for miraculous gifts. John’s was a baptism of repentance (with water) for the remission of sins. Jesus baptizes us with the Holy Spirit when we’re baptized by Christ’s authority (in the name of Jesus Christ) for the remission of sins.

We are immersed into the name of the Lord Jesus (Acts 8:16; 19:5), into one body (1 Cor 12:13), into Christ (Rom 6:3, Gal 3:27), into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit (Mat 28:19), and into Christ’s death (Rom 6:3) in the name [by the authority of] Jesus Christ (Acts 2:38, Acts 10:48, cp. Acts 8:12).

We are born of water and of the Spirit (John 3:5), immersed after going down into the water (Acts 8:38), come up out of the water after having been immersed (Acts 8:39, Mat 3:16, Mk 1:10), and are taught that Christian baptism uses the element of water (Acts 8:36, Acts 10:47, Heb 10:22, 1 Pet 3:20f, cp. Rev 21:6; 22:1; 22:17)

(cont...)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

coCTruth

church of Christ
Feb 21, 2009
Lakewood, Colorado
Visit site
✟15,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Our sins are remitted, washed, and cleansed by the blood of Jesus (Mat 26:28, Rom 3:25, Rom 5:9, Eph 1:7, Eph 2:13, Heb 9:12,14,22; Heb 10:19, Heb 13:12, 1 Pet 1:18f, 1 Jn 1:7, Rev 1:5 Rev 5:9, Rev 7:14, cp. Rev 19:13)

The water is joined with the Spirit (Gen 1:2, Isa 44:3, Jn 3:5, Acts 10:47, cp. Mat 3:16, Mar 1:10, Acts 8:39) and the blood (Exo 4:9, Exo 7:17-20, Lev 14:51f, Deu 12:16, Deu 15:23, Psa 105:29, Eze 16:9, Jn 19:34, Heb 9:19, 1 Jn 5:6), and the three bear witness and agree in one (1 Jn 5:8).

Both the Father and the Holy Spirit are spoken of as living water (Jer 2:13, John 4:10, John 7:38)

Jesus baptizes us by means of the Holy Spirit (Mat 3:11, Mar 1:8, Luk 3:16, Joh 1:33, Acts 1:5 and 11:16)

We find water baptism and its sin remitting effects by command, authorized example, and necessary inference (Mat. 3:6, 7, 11, 13, 14, 16; 21:25; 28:19; Mark 1:4, 5, 8, 9; 6:14, 24; 10:38, 39; 11:30; 16:16; Luke 3:3, 7, 12, 16, 21; 7:29, 30; 12:50; 20:4; John 1:25, 26, 28, 31, 33; 3:5, 22, 23, 26; 4:1, 2; 10:40; Acts 1:5, 22; 2:38, 41; 8:12, 13, 16, 36, 38; 9:18; 10:37, 47, 48; 11:16; 13:24; 16:15, 33; 18:8, 25; 19:3, 4, 5; 22:16; Rom. 6:3, 4; 1Co. 1:13, 14, 15, 16, 17; 10:2; 12:13; 15:29; Gal. 3:27; Eph. 4:5; Col. 2:12; Tit 3:5; 1Pe. 3:21; Mat. 23:25, 26; John 9:7, 11, 15; 13:8 Acts 22:16; 1Co. 6:11; Eph. 5:26; Tit. 3:5; Heb. 9:14, 22, 23; 10:2, 22; 2Pe. 2:22; 1Jn. 1:7, 9; Rev. 7:14; Rev 21:6; 22:1; 22:14,17)

Here’s the premise: The baptism en (‘in the power of’ or ‘with’) the Holy Spirit is simply stating the means by which Jesus Himself (our creator and our savior) administers the baptism of the Great Commission (“…He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit”). Most already know or agree that we’re baptized in (by) one Spirit.

1Co 12:13 For in one Spirit were we all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether bond or free; and were all made to drink of one Spirit.

Before commenting on 1Co 12:13 (above), let’s follow the promise of the Father and see where it leads..

Act 13:22-23 And when he had removed him, he raised up David to be their king; to whom also he bare witness and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after My heart, who shall do all My will. 23 Of this man's seed hath God according to promise brought unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus;

Act 13:32 And we bring you good tidings of the promise made unto the fathers,

Act 26:6-7 And now I stand here to be judged for the hope of the promise made of God unto our fathers; 7 unto which promise our twelve tribes, earnestly serving God night and day, hope to attain. And concerning this hope I am accused by the Jews, O king!

Rom 1:1-3 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, 2 which he promised afore through his prophets in the holy scriptures, 3 concerning his Son, who was born of the seed of David according to the flesh,

Rom 4:13 For not through the law was the promise to Abraham or to his seed that he should be heir of the world, but through the righteousness of faith.

Rom 4:19-22 And without being weakened in faith he considered his own body now as good as dead (he being about a hundred years old), and the deadness of Sarah's womb; 20 yet, looking unto the promise of God, he wavered not through unbelief, but waxed strong through faith, giving glory to God, 21 and being fully assured that what he had promised, he was able also to perform. 22 Wherefore also it was reckoned unto him for righteousness.

Rom 9:8 That is, it is not the children of the flesh that are children of God; but the children of the promise are reckoned for a seed.

2Co 1:20-22 For how many soever be the promises of God, in him is the yea: wherefore also through him is the Amen, unto the glory of God through us. 21 Now he that establisheth us with you in Christ, and anointed us, is God; 22 who also sealed us, and gave us the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

Gal 3:13-14 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us; for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: 14 that upon the Gentiles might come the blessing of Abraham in Christ Jesus; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Gal 3:16 Now to Abraham were the promises spoken, and to his seed. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

Gal 3:18-19 For if the inheritance is of the law, it is no more of promise: but God hath granted it to Abraham by promise. 19 What then is the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise hath been made; and it was ordained through angels by the hand of a mediator.

Gal 3:22 But the scriptures shut up all things under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

Gal 3:26-29 For ye are all sons of God, through faith, in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ did put on Christ. 28 There can be neither Jew nor Greek, there can be neither bond nor free, there can be no male and female; for ye all are one man in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ye are Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, heirs according to promise.

Act 2:38 And Peter said unto them, Repent ye, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ unto the remission of your sins; and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Act 2:39 For to you is the promise, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call unto him.

The “en” of 1 Cor 12:13 is the Gr., “by”. I submit that Jesus baptized us in the power of (with) the Holy Spirit. On Pentecost, the Apostles were already clean (Jn 15:3; 13:10), and most likely had been baptized by Christ’s authority. For them, the baptism with the Spirit was a filling up of the Father’s promises when the gift of the Spirit was poured out to all nations. Because we’ve seen that the Comforter, Spirit of Truth, Holy Spirit, and being clothed with power from on high is what endowed the Apostles with their divine gifts to bring in the kingdom with power, and because John the Baptist spoke specifically of Jesus baptizing you (us) in the power of the Holy Spirit, I submit that when we are (were) baptized in the name (by the authority of) Jesus Christ into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, Jesus Himself was our baptizer, in the power of (with) the Holy Spirit. What are we baptized into? The body of Christ. This leaves us the one baptism of the Great Commission, a more powerful and personal baptism than we had ever before imagined. We simply have to believe John the baptist’s prophecy was for US, all of us, including the Apostles. With our savior as our baptizer, we, in as real a sense as possible, died with, were buried with, and were raised with Him to walk in newness of life. We died WITH Him as He baptized us into His death. Watch the word of God come alive when we read afresh the power of our savior not only dying for, but actually baptizing us with Him into His death, to be raised with Him through faith in the working of God.

Col 2:8-15 Take heed lest there shall be any one that maketh spoil of you through his philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ: 9 for in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily, 10 and in him ye are made full, who is the head of all principality and power: 11 in whom ye were also circumcised with a circumcision not made with hands, in the putting off of the body of the flesh, in the circumcision of Christ; 12 having been buried with him in baptism, wherein ye were also raised with him through faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead through your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, you, I say, did he make alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses; 14 having blotted out the bond written in ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us: and he hath taken it out that way, nailing it to the cross; 15 having despoiled the principalities and the powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Rom 6:3-13 Or are ye ignorant that all we who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were buried therefore with him through baptism unto death: that like as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we also might walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have become united with him in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection; 6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with him, that the body of sin might be done away, that so we should no longer be in bondage to sin; 7 for he that hath died is justified from sin. 8 But if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him; 9 knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death no more hath dominion over him. 10 For the death that he died, he died unto sin once: but the life that he liveth, he liveth unto God. 11 Even so reckon ye also yourselves to be dead unto sin, but alive unto God in Christ Jesus. 12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey the lusts thereof: 13 neither present your members unto sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves unto God, as alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

1Pe 3:18-22 Because Christ also suffered for sins once, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God; being put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; 19 in which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison, 20 that aforetime were disobedient, when the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water: 21 which also after a true likeness doth now save you, even baptism, not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the interrogation of a good conscience toward God, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ; 22 who is on the right hand of God, having gone into heaven; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.

Eph 4:1-6 I therefore, the prisoner in the Lord, beseech you to walk worthily of the calling wherewith ye were called, 2 with all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; 3 giving diligence to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. 4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as also ye were called in one hope of your calling; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all, and through all, and in all.

1Co 12:12-14 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of the body, being many, are one body; so also is Christ. 13 For in one Spirit were we all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether bond or free; and were all made to drink of one Spirit. 14 For the body is not one member, but many.

Gal 4:3-9 So we also, when we were children, were held in bondage under the rudiments of the world: 4 but when the fulness of the time came, God sent forth his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 5 that he might redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. 6 And because ye are sons, God sent forth the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, Abba, Father. 7 So that thou art no longer a bondservant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God. 8 Howbeit at that time, not knowing God, ye were in bondage to them that by nature are no gods: 9 but now that ye have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how turn ye back again to the weak and beggarly rudiments, whereunto ye desire to be in bondage over again?

Joh 7:37-39 Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me and drink. 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, from within him shall flow rivers of living water. 39 But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believed on him were to receive: for the Spirit was not yet given; because Jesus was not yet glorified.

Eph 5:26 that he might sanctify it, having cleansed it by the washing of water with the word,

Isa 58:11 and Jehovah will guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in dry places, and make strong thy bones; and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not.

Isa 44:3 For I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and streams upon the dry ground; I will pour my Spirit upon thy seed, and my blessing upon thine offspring:

Joe 3:18 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the mountains shall drop down sweet wine, and the hills shall flow with milk, and all the brooks of Judah shall flow with waters; and a fountain shall come forth from the house of Jehovah, and shall water the valley of [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]tim.

Zec 14:8 And it shall come to pass in that day, that living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the eastern sea, and half of them toward the western sea: in summer and in winter shall it be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

coCTruth

church of Christ
Feb 21, 2009
Lakewood, Colorado
Visit site
✟15,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Act 10:43 To him bear all the prophets witness, that through his name every one that believeth on him shall receive remission of sins.

Mat 26:28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many unto remission of sins.

1Jn 5:8 For there are three who bear witness, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and the three agree in one.

Act 2:38-39 And Peter said unto them, Repent ye, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ unto the remission of your sins; and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For to you is the promise, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call unto him.

Joh 3:5-6 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except one be born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God! 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Mat 28:18-20 And Jesus came to them and spake unto them, saying, All authority hath been given unto me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit: 20 teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I commanded you: and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.

Mar 16:15-16 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to the whole creation. 16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that disbelieveth shall be condemned.

Eph 1:3-13 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ: 4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blemish before him in love: 5 having foreordained us unto adoption as sons through Jesus Christ unto himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, 6 to the praise of the glory of his grace, which he freely bestowed on us in the Beloved: 7 in whom we have our redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, 8 which he made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence, 9 making known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he purposed in him 10 unto a dispensation of the fulness of the times, to sum up all things in Christ, the things in the heavens, and the things upon the earth; in him, I say, 11 in whom also we were made a heritage, having been foreordained according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his will; 12 to the end that we should be unto the praise of his glory, we who had before hoped in Christ: 13 in whom ye also, having heard the word of the truth, the gospel of your salvation, - in whom, having also believed, ye were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,

1Co 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye were washed, but ye were sanctified, but ye were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and in the Spirit of our God.

1Co 6:19 Or know ye not that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit which is in you, which ye have from God? and ye are not your own;

Eph 3:16-19 that he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, that ye may be strengthened with power through his Spirit in the inward man; 17 that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; to the end that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 may be strong to apprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, 19 and to know the love of Christ which passeth knowledge, that ye may be filled unto all the fulness of God.

Mar 1:8 I baptized you in water; But he shall baptize you with (en) the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RefrusRevlis

May 25, 2007
Western Australia
✟8,084.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi cofCtruth, a brother taught on the baptism with the Holy Spirit a few weeks ago. He had previously hinted at a position in previous lessons but it was only in his last lesson that he really demonstrated it. It was a great lesson and confirmed what I had already come to conclude. In short:

The baptism in the Holy Spirit is equatable with 1 Cor 12:13 (it highlights the Spirit's part in the baptism into Christ) as does John 3.

It is pure assumption to say the fire resting on the heads of the apostles, the wind and the speaking in tongues was the Baptism.

Filled with the Holy Spirit does not equal Baptised in the Holy Spirit

The apostles would have been baptised on the day of pentecost after Peter's "unlocking the doors of the kingdom". Thus, they spoke in other tongues and were then baptised (same as Cornelius).

In Acts 11 some people see an argument for the baptism with the Holy Spirit as equalling the miraculous bestowal of tongues etc. They make verse 16 refer back to verse 15, i.e. to paraphrase " I saw the Holy spirit fall and I remembered that this, which is the baptism with the Holy Spirit, was promised". I think this is wrong. Consider another way of looking at it (text in blue, my comments/paraphrase in red):

15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them, as upon us at the beginning. As I was speaking the Holy Spirit filled the Gentiles as on us at the beginning.

16 Then I remembered the word of the Lord, how He said, ‘John indeed baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’

I remembered the promise, of the baptism with the Holy Spirit, which we received after being filled in the same manner as these gentiles.

17 If therefore God gave them the same gift as He gave us when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could withstand God?”

Since the gentiles received the same gift of being filled with the Holy Spirit, that we received prior to being baptised, who was I that I could withstand God and refuse to baptise them into Christ.

This makes verse 16 refer not back to what is uder discussion in verse 15, rather to what is under discussion in verse 17 namely "who was I that I could withstand God?" (i.e. to baptise them)

Anyhow, I will have to print off your post in full as it's long and a bit hard to follow on the screen - it appears 1 line of writing then one word, then one line etc. I'm not entirely sure what your position is, but I was going to post on the baptism with the Holy Spirit soon anyway.

Refrus

Upvote 0

coCTruth

church of Christ
Feb 21, 2009
Lakewood, Colorado
Visit site
✟15,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi cofCtruth, a brother taught on the baptism with the Holy Spirit a few weeks ago. He had previously hinted at a position in previous lessons but it was only in his last lesson that he really demonstrated it. It was a great lesson and confirmed what I had already come to conclude. In short:

The baptism in the Holy Spirit is equatable with 1 Cor 12:13 (it highlights the Spirit's part in the baptism into Christ) as does John 3.

It is pure assumption to say the fire resting on the heads of the apostles, the wind and the speaking in tongues was the Baptism.

Filled with the Holy Spirit does not equal Baptised in the Holy Spirit

The apostles would have been baptised on the day of pentecost after Peter's "unlocking the doors of the kingdom". Thus, they spoke in other tongues and were then baptised (same as Cornelius).

In Acts 11 some people see an argument for the baptism with the Holy Spirit as equalling the miraculous bestowal of tongues etc. They make verse 16 refer back to verse 15, i.e. to paraphrase " I saw the Holy spirit fall and I remembered that this, which is the baptism with the Holy Spirit, was promised". I think this is wrong. Consider another way of looking at it (text in blue, my comments/paraphrase in red):

15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them, as upon us at the beginning. As I was speaking the Holy Spirit filled the Gentiles as on us at the beginning.

16 Then I remembered the word of the Lord, how He said, ‘John indeed baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’

I remembered the promise, of the baptism with the Holy Spirit, which we received after being filled in the same manner as these gentiles.

17 If therefore God gave them the same gift as He gave us when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could withstand God?”

Since the gentiles received the same gift of being filled with the Holy Spirit, that we received prior to being baptised, who was I that I could withstand God and refuse to baptise them into Christ.

This makes verse 16 refer not back to what is uder discussion in verse 15, rather to what is under discussion in verse 17 namely "who was I that I could withstand God?" (i.e. to baptise them)

Anyhow, I will have to print off your post in full as it's long and a bit hard to follow on the screen - it appears 1 line of writing then one word, then one line etc. I'm not entirely sure what your position is, but I was going to post on the baptism with the Holy Spirit soon anyway.

Refrus
Absolutely amazing! Please print it out! You just summarized EXACTLY what it says (albeit longwindedly on my behalf). YES.. the baptism with the Holy Spirit did NOT convey the miraculous! There is separation between Acts 1:4-5 and 6-8. The Apostles were given the Comforter and Spirit of truth.. clothed with power from on high.

Please let me know what you think, and if there's anything I might have missed. ^_^

Upvote 0

coCTruth

church of Christ
Feb 21, 2009
Lakewood, Colorado
Visit site
✟15,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
BTW.. I love your summary of the position. Simple and cuts straight to the heart of the matter. I would be very much interested in seeing this other post you speak of. I'm sure that there are good nuggets for both of us. Very exciting and, what a coincidence! As I point out in my post, we're not the only ones in the cofC to see this. Robert Milligan and Moses Lard (who were right there with Campbell and Stone) saw something very similar. They saw the baptism with the Spirit for what it is (another to describe 1 Cor 12:13, as you pointed out), but Robert didn't quite make the separation in Acts 1:4-8 and Acts 11. (as well as the prophecy of Joel, the gift of Acts 2:38, etc..) which I explain in some detail. Looking forward to your replies..

Upvote 0

coCTruth

church of Christ
Feb 21, 2009
Lakewood, Colorado
Visit site
✟15,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Also BTW.. I have this in a much easier to read format with some subtle bolding to point to emphasis on a number of things. It makes for an easier read, as well. I can send in Word '97/'03 zipped .doc, or Word '07 zipped .docx (I believe you have to have Word '07 to open, though I could be wrong). I use a throw away e-mail addy (>nos(dot)max(dot)d(at)gmail(dot)com<) if you'd like me to send it to you. Just tell me what the subject line of your e-mail is so I can find it in all the spam. :)

I have less that 50 posts, so I couldn't post the e-mail normally.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RefrusRevlis

May 25, 2007
Western Australia
✟8,084.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']The Apostles had already been water baptized and/or pronounced clean by Jesus, thus they received the gift of the Holy Spirit when the Spirit was poured out upon all flesh... [/font]

Just one point to consider...

When were the apostles baptised? I don't think it is necessary for them to have been baptised before the day of pentecost. It would to my way of thinking to be more likely that they were baptised with everyone else after the miraculous bestowal of gifts (same as with Cornelius). The reason being the body of Christ (the church/kingdom) only came into being on the day of pentecost. If the church did not exist, what then were the apostles added to?

Refrus

Upvote 0

coCTruth

church of Christ
Feb 21, 2009
Lakewood, Colorado
Visit site
✟15,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Just one point to consider...

When were the apostles baptised? I don't think it is necessary for them to have been baptised before the day of pentecost. It would to my way of thinking to be more likely that they were baptised with everyone else after the miraculous bestowal of gifts (same as with Cornelius). The reason being the body of Christ (the church/kingdom) only came into being on the day of pentecost. If the church did not exist, what then were the apostles added to?

Refrus
That seems to be the most often asked question and I believe your answer is sound. I left the 'possibilty' open with the "most likely they were baptized by Christ's authority before the cross" language, but your assessment shows the necessity of them being added, along with everyone else. Here's some other questions I've been receiving and my answers (in red). See if you agree with my answers.

I still don't quite understand how the apostles could be baptized with the Spirit per your definition in "Here's the premise" without being baptized again. Otherwise, you have their baptism with the Spirit different from others and have to find places to define two different baptisms with the Spirit.

The Apostles a) were most likely already baptized under Christ's authority b) were pronounced "clean" by Jesus c) already had been given the power to heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, and cast out demons d) had the Holy Spirit 'breathed' on them and 'received' from Jesus, all before Pentecost. If their baptism under Christ's authority before Pentecost (assuming they did such) remitted their past sins (Jesus proclaimed them clean), then we have a scenario that scripture simply doesn't address. The same question can rightly be asked from the traditional viewpoint. My best answer is that scripture is silent unless we want to apply the "ye" of Acts 1:5 to the Apostles as well, in which case, that would necessitate their baptism into Christ along with all others. Seeing that scripture is silent about the effects of Christ's pre-cross baptism (performed by proxy through the disciples), then it's hard to accurately determine what was lacking. We know that the Spirit had not yet been given because Jesus was not yet glorified, and we also know that unless one is born of water and the Spirit, they can not enter the kingdom of God. Jesus breathed the Holy Spirit on the (then disciples) after His resurrection, and Jesus already had all authority. We also can't forget that the Apostles were baptized with the same baptism Jesus was baptized with, which was death. Considering the complexity of the Apostle's situation, establishing or confirming doctrine based on their special circumstances is, I believe, fruitless. I believe we must believe what was promised and obey what was prescribed to us. John said that Jesus would be baptizing you (us) with the Holy Spirit. Jesus said that he who believes and is baptized will be saved. Do we have to be aware that we were baptized by Jesus in the power of the Holy Spirit when we're obedient to the gospel? I don't think that such is the case because we are baptized by His authority and not believing His baptism to be "symbolic". [I would add now that the fact the Apostles had to be added to the church/body of Christ just as Cornelius and everyone else lends much weight to the view that they simply had to be baptized into Christ sometime during or after Pentecost.. most likely that same day]

And concerning "I baptized you with water but He will baptize you with the Spirit and with fire" - Contextually, it has to be the same with water, Spirit, and fire. All three have to be the element in which one is immersed - figuratively on the last two.

In John's baptism, the immersion is said to be into repentance. Christian baptism (in the power of the Holy Spirit) is where we're immersed into Christ, Christ's death, and His body. I don't believe that Christ's baptism with fire is going to be a figurative immersion. Context stays the same because John baptized them with water into repentance, Jesus baptizes us with the Holy Spirit into His death, and Jesus will also be baptizing with fire into judgement/eternal death.

Being filled with the Spirit has nothing to do with indwelling, but means to be influenced by the Spirit, under His control. When one is full of anger, he is influenced, controlled by that anger and acts accordingly. When one is full of jealousy, same thing. Those who had the indwelling Spirit in Ephesus were commanded to be filled with the Spirit (5:19). Thus, it was something under their control. They could choose to put themselves under the influence of the Spirit in the specific manner Paul was speaking about.

My comments on that were sort of hidden in what seemed like the verse above (I didn't separate them when I broke everything apart for easier reading). Here:

Neither we nor the Apostles are/were &#8220;immersed in the Spirit&#8221;, a denominational concept that is foreign to scripture. Romans 6 clearly shows that we are baptized into Christ, and thus baptized into His death. Please note that believers are spoken of as being &#8220;filled&#8221; with the Spirit both before and after receiving the miraculous gifts of the Holy Spirit through the direct operation of God (as in the case of the Apostles, Cornelius, and his house), the laying on of hands by the Apostles, or even being baptized into Christ:

My point was essentially trying to say what you said, but you said it more clearly. I agree that we have control over our being [the degree to which we're] filled with the Spirit.

I'm still pondering the significance of what you said about Peter saying "the like gift...when we believed...."

I'm trying to anticipate objections by both Protestants and cofCers, so I'm probably overexplaining stuff. Let me se if I can break it down..

Acts 11:17 If then God gave unto them the like gift as he did also unto us, when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I, that I could withstand God?

I see three possibilities for the meaning of &#8220;the like gift&#8221;: [blue= from my premise]

1) The ability to speak in tongues &#8211; but the Apostles weren&#8217;t given that until Pentecost.

I don't think the like gift was tongues. Again, the qualifier is "when we believed on the Lord Jesus Christ", and they had believed long before Pentecost.

2) The gift of the Holy Spirit received upon belief and baptism into Christ, in the sense of being blessed with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places IN Christ [similar, but more comprehensive than what most refer to as the &#8216;indwelling Spirit&#8217;]. This also could only have happened to the Apostles on the day of Pentecost when the Spirit was poured out on all flesh, thus well after they believed.

This goes back to your initial question about how the Apostles received the gift of the Holy Spirit.. whether they'd have to be re-baptized. The Spirit was not poured out until Pentecost, so the "gift of the Holy Spirit" could not have been the "like gift" unless the Apostles were re-baptized into Christ (as the Ephesian disciples had to be). Again, speculation about the Apostles' situation is almost impossible.

3) One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit [the spiritual blessings we are blessed with] is eternal life IN Christ. For anyone after the cross, this could only come about after having believed in God [because they believed and obeyed the gospel] by hearing the word, believing it, repenting, confessing Christ, and being baptized in the name of Jesus &#8211; (see John 12:44; Acts 16:31,33-34). Jesus had the authority to directly forgive sins while He was on earth. The like gift of eternal life in Christ was given to both the Apostles and Cornelius (and his house) when they believed on the Lord Jesus. To the Apostles, way back when they first believed Jesus in the gospels, and to Cornelius and his house, when they believed on the Lord Jesus through hearing Peter speak those words by which they should be saved.. i.e., when they believed, repented, confessed Jesus as the Son of God, and were baptized (BY Jesus, with the Holy Spirit) through submersion in water (the water of regeneration) in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of their sins (see Acts 2:38).

The one thing we don't have to speculate about is the fact that Jesus pronounced the Apostles clean, meaning direct forgiveness by Jesus (like the thief, the paralytic, etc..) when they had believed. Cornelius and house were given the like gift when they believed and obeyed the gospel.

I disagree that the water is the agency of regeneration. I would say it's just the place or that baptism is the moment.

I believe "en" is more than "agency". "En" used in the contextual environment of all the passages referring to John's baptism and Jesus' baptism is most precisely defined with, "in the power of". The water used in John's baptism, for those who believed, immersed them in the power of water into repentance for remission of sin (looking forward to the cross). The water used in Jesus' baptism immerses us in the power of the Holy Spirit into Christ's death. Our righteousness is through faith in Jesus. When we believed on the Lord Jesus we obeyed Him, and having done so, we're said to have believed in God. That's the same righteousness by faith that was accounted to Abraham. The water for believers is regenerative in the sense that our sins are remitted when we believe and obey Christ as our Lord and Savior. The act of faithful obedience where we, point in time, contact the blood of Jesus, is in the water of our baptism into His death. In that sense, the water for believers is regenerative, because it's the point and place in time where we appropriate His blood for the remission of our sins.

As for the power of water in John's baptism, one need only look at Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy for the power that was inherent in bathing their flesh in water.. [see Lev 14:8-9; 15:5-13; 16:23-26; Lev 17:14-16, Num 19:7-8, and Deu 23:10-11]

I'm still convinced that the pouring forth of the Spirit on Pentecost refers to the sending of the Spirit that was spoken about in John 14,15,16. The figure fits the sending very well. And the baptism with the Spirit refers to the extent of that pouring, upon all mankind in an abundant way. It is the event that rocked the world, resulting in the apostles being guided into all truth, in their empowerment, in scripture being written, in the indwelling, and every other thing that the Spirit has done since that time. That pouring forth (sending) resulted in a tsunami that has washed and continues to wash over the world, changing it and changing lives. I view it as second only to the cross in its greatness.

You and I are in perfect agreement on this pouring out. The pouring out included the Comforter, the Spirit of truth, the gift of the Holy Spirit, the clothing of the Apostles with power from on high, the promise of the Father to Abraham and his seed, Christ, fulfilled.. all of that. But the whole premise about how we're baptized with/in the power of/by means of the Holy Spirit is nothing more than simply affirming John's prophecy that Jesus would be baptizing you (us) through the Holy Spirit when we submit to being water baptized in His name (by His authority). To say that was only for the Apostles (and some include the 120 disciples) is going against the text. The premise affirms one baptism without having to juggle away a second "baptism of the Holy Spirit" only for the Apostles. The premise leaves Protestants with no alternative but to submit to Christ's baptism, and certainly not in any kind of "symbolic" sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RefrusRevlis

May 25, 2007
Western Australia
✟8,084.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have tried to attached a study I have on the baptism with the Holy Spirit, however it is a Word doc and as such is the wrong type of file. I will gladly email anyone a copy - it is a little under 5700 words so it is really too long to post.
Refrus

Upvote 0

RefrusRevlis

May 25, 2007
Western Australia
✟8,084.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
believe "en" is more than "agency". "En" used in the contextual environment of all the passages referring to John's baptism and Jesus' baptism is most precisely defined with, "in the power of".

Here is excerpts from a section of my own study on the Baptism with the Holy Spirit. I hope it is helpful.

Nigel Turner says in his Grammar of the Greek New Testament volume 3 Syntax p252:

“There is a relatively frequent instrumental use, in the stricter sense; e.g. nineteen times in Mt 1-14…it is not very common in the Koine where many apparent instances, as in NT, may be accepted satisfactorily in the strictly locative sense. We cannot rule out the possibility of in water Mt 311…Our own idiom is often in in these phrases: in God’s will (Ro 110), in the likeness (83), to sum up in one word (139), but usually we shall employ with”.

Turner classifies the usage of “en” in Matthew 3:11 where it is applied to water, to be an instrumental usage, though he doesn’t rule out the locative sense applying. However, A.T. Robertson says in relation to “en” (Grammar of the Greek New Testament in the Light of Historical Research p 590):

Maximilian Zerwick in his Biblical Greek Illustrated by Examples p39 section 117 under the heading “sociative use” of “en” (in relation to the word “Spirit” though not specifically mentioning any of the baptism in the Holy Spirit passages), has the following to say:

Thus evn (not without Semitic influence) is practically reduced to the expression of a general notion of association or accompaniment, which would be rendered in English by “with”…

Later, in section 119 in discussion about the preposition (p40) Zerwick says:

The instrumental use. As is well known, the NT uses evvn with almost Semitic frequency instead of the instrumental dative…

Zerwick does not deal with the word evvn in Matthew 3:11 butin Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16, Acts 1:5 and Acts 11:16 considers there is an instrumental usage: this is seen in his co-authored A Grammatical Analysis of the Greek New Testament (Zerwick and Mary Grosvenor), he links the verse with his Biblical Greek Illustrated by Examples:

evvn instr[umental]. with §119 [section 119 of his Biblical Greek Illustrated by Examples]

In Blass-Debrunner-Funk’s A Greek Grammar of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature
In the section on the syntax of the cases, p 104-5, section 195 titled “In the genuinely instrumental case”, we read:

The following take evn besides the simple dative: (a) ‘with the sword (kill, die etc.)’, (b) ‘to season with something’, (c) ‘burn with fire’ (evvn puri literally ‘in the fire’ as it means even in the chance phrase evvn puri kaiein Hom., Il 24.38), (d) ‘baptise with’, (e) ‘vindicate by’…

Daniel Wallace in his Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics p 373-4 gives the most thorough and recent treatment of the use of “en” in relation to the “baptized in/with the (Holy) Spirit passages:
As varied as the uses of evn are, sometimes it is considered even more elastic than it really is. The following discussion focuses on a few passages in which the preposition has been viewed as expressing agency or content.
Some have suggested that either the naked dative or evn + the dative can express personal agency in the NT. However, once a clear definition is given for personal agency, this will be seen to be a rare or nonexistent category. Williams defines the dative of agency as denoting “the agent (personal) by whom something is done. The only difference between means and agency is that means is impersonal, agency is personal.”

This definition is a little too general. It would be better to say that when evn + the dative expresses the idea of means (a different category), the instrument is used by an agent. When agency is indicated, the agent so named is not used by another, but is the one who uses an instrument. (It may be noted here that an intermediate agent, usually expressed by diav + the genitive, is an agent who acts on behalf of another or in the place of another. This agent is not, strictly speaking, used by another as an instrument would be.) Thus, evn + dative to express means can be (and often is) used of persons, though they are conceived of as impersonal (i.e., used as an instrument by someone else). For example, in the sentence “God disciplined me by means of my parents,”“God” is the agent who used the “parents” as the means by which he accomplished something. The parents are, of course, persons. But they are conceived of as impersonal in that they are the instruments used by another.

According to our definition, if evn + dative is used to express agency, the noun in the dative must not only be personal, but must also be the agent who performs the action. BDF accurately assess the NT situation of the naked dative used for personal agency: “Dative of agency is perhaps represented by only one genuine example in the NT and this with the perfect: Luke 23:15.” In summary, we can say that there are very few clear examples of the dative of agency in the NT, and all of them involve a perfect passive verb.

The slightly different phenomenon of evn + the dative is also considered by many to express agency on a rare occasion. Yet no unambiguous examples are forthcoming. Thus what can be said about the dative of agency can also be said of evn + the dative to express agent: it is rare, at best.

Mark 1:8 auJto;" de; baptivsei uJma'"evn pneuvmati aJgivw/ but he shall baptize you with the Holy Spirit
Here it is obvious that Christ is the agent (since auJtov" is the subject), and the Holy Spirit is the means (and perhaps sphere) that the Lord uses to baptize.

1 Cor 12:13 ga;r evn eJni; pneuvmati hJmei'" pavnte" eiv"evn sw'ma evbaptivsqhmen
for by one Spirit we all were baptized into one body Our contention is that this is an illustration of evn used for means . By calling “Spirit” means here does not deny the personality of the Holy Spirit. Rather, the Holy Spirit is the instrument that Christ uses to baptize, even though he is a person. Since pneuvmati aJgivw/ clearly indicated means in Mark 1:8 (as in several other passages dealing with Spirit-baptism), it is surely not unreasonable to see “Spirit” as the means here. Furthermore, if the Holy Spirit is the agent in this text, there is a theological problem: When is the prophecy of Mark 1:8 fulfilled? When would Christ baptize with the Holy Spirit? Because of the grammatical improbability of pneuvmati expressing agent in 1 Cor 12:13, it is better to see it as means and as the fulfillment of Mark 1:8. Thus, Christ is the unnamed agent. This also renders highly improbable one popular interpretation, viz., that there are two Spirit baptisms in the NT, one at salvation and one later .

Consider Wallace’s illustration:

For example, in the sentence “God disciplined me by means of my parents,”“God” is the agent who used the “parents” as the means by which he accomplished something. The parents are, of course, persons. But they are conceived of as impersonal in that they are the instruments used by another.

In the above illustration, we have God doing the disciplining by the parents. This does not mean that God picked up the child’s parents and used them to smack the child or something such like. It means God used a second party (the parents) to achieve His aim.

According to what we have just seen in the previous quotes, in Matthew 3 etc: in the phrase “I baptise by means of water but He will baptise you by means of the Holy Spirit”, the Holy Spirit is not the medium. The comparison between “water” and “Spirit” is that John himself used water to accomplish baptism, whereas Jesus was to use the Holy Spirit as an instrument to achieve the baptism. Thus the power and authority of Jesus is shown in that he used the Holy Spirit as an instrument to achieve His will. The Holy Spirit was Jesus’ helper.

McClintock and Strong
McClintock and Strong’s Cyclopedia of Biblical Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature (electronic version Vol 1 p 178) on baptism:

“Not being a verb implying motion, bapti>zwis properly followed in Greek by the preposition en, denoting the means or method (with the “instrumental dative”), which has unfortunately, in the Auth.
Engl. Vers., often been rendered by the ambiguous particle “in,” whereas it really (in this connection) signifies only with or by, or at most merely designates the locality where the act is performed.”

Refrus

Upvote 0