Baptism and Fundamentalists

Is Baptism:

• Necessary to salvation because through Baptism is offered the grace of God.

• Necessary and effectual to salvation.

• We must be baptized or we cannot be saved

• The believer is not saved because he is baptized; but, baptized because he is saved.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nova Scotian Boy

Grand Sasquatch
Jan 19, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
✟20,180.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
You mean to tell me that Presbyterians don't believe in baptize the saved?

I do not believe that because my Grandfather was a ruling elder in Glenwood ASRP in Charlotte N.C.

And this thread isn't about the mode of baptism as it is why one is baptized.

Several denominations teach that baptism is necessary for salvation, and even go so far as to write into thier confessions that without it, you cannot be saved.

So basically, your telling me Presbyterians do not baptize because one is saved.

Nice information.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Its only half of what Presbyterians believe. Presbyterians believe Baptism is for those who have been saved and there children. Mode refers to how they are baptized, not who is baptized.

Baptism is not necessarily for salvation, but i do not see why any unbaptized believer would not want to be baptized.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Presbyterians believe Baptism is for those who have been saved

So what is your problem?

I have no problem with children being baptized as long as they old enough to understand what they are doing.

Nothing was said about the mode of baptism, rather, is baptism necessary for salvation.

Suppose one confesses, repents, and believes on a Sunday morning. Then on the way home they are in a car wreck and die. Because thy were not baptized, according to the confession I quoted on the opening post, one would not be saved because they had not met the necessary requirement of being baptized.

So here we are back at square one.

Is baptism necessary for salvation as some teach, and is it a belief of Fundamentals.

FYI: I studied for 20 years in eschatology under a ruling elder of the Presbyterian church. My Grandfather John Franklin Sanders Sr.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Nova Scotian Boy

Grand Sasquatch
Jan 19, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
✟20,180.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Suppose one confesses, repents, and believes on a Sunday morning. Then on the way home they are in a car wreck and die. Because thy were not baptized, according to the confession I quoted on the opening post, one would not be saved because they had not met the necessary requirement of being baptized.

In this case I believe they would be saved. However this is an extraordinary circumstance and I think we need to beware of making the extraordinary circumstances, ordinary .

I would never say "Baptism is a requirement of salvation." however on the flip side i would never say encourage someone to not be baptized. Baptism is a sacrament instituted by Christ in which we receive the sign and seal. I would question anyone who called themselves Christian yet did not want to receive Gods sign and seal.

Upvote 0

VCViking

Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel...
Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The believer is not saved because he is baptized; but, baptized because he is saved. Baptism is not a condition for salvation but as Christians we are followers of Christ and He was baptized.

Thank you! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

VCViking

Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Its only half of what Presbyterians believe. Presbyterians believe Baptism is for those who have been saved and there children. Mode refers to how they are baptized, not who is baptized.

Baptism is not necessarily for salvation, but i do not see why any unbaptized believer would not want to be baptized.

Thank you also! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

VCViking

Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Right. That was the question, and the poll give us three nearly identical choices for anyone wanting to say "Yes, it is necessary" and one only that says it is not.

Doesn't that explain the problem right there?

Yeah but you never answered the question. If you do not see one of your views in the poll, then answer it in a post. That is easy enough. This has nothing to do with being a Baptist for this is not the Baptist forum.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yeah but you never answered the question. If you do not see one of your views in the poll, then answer it in a post. That is easy enough. This has nothing to do with being a Baptist for this is not the Baptist forum.

I was just thinking of my answer to you when I saw your post. Now I'm not so sure I want to be talked down to like this.

Upvote 0

VCViking

Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I was just thinking of my answer to you when I saw your post. Now I'm not so sure I want to be talked down to like this.

You mean like this:

The poll has three answers that are more or less identical plus one that describes the position held by Baptists? Shall we just declare the intended winner to have won and be done with it? :doh::D

And this,

You've created a poll that is virtually guaranteed to produce a smashing victory for the Baptist view of baptism, even though and as you have noted here, in no way is it the case that all fundamentalists are Baptists.

And this,

Of course. What is your point?

But it's your poll, go ahead if you are upset that anyone should offer constructive criticism. Then tell us what you learned after everyone who answers chooses the same selection.

If you wish.

OK.

And this,

That's the opinion of a few fundamentalists you agree with. It's certainly not the standard of this forum.[/left]

As I said at the beginning, if you want a poll that doesn't tell you anything because it's so poorly constructed, go right ahead. Why you'd become hostile just because a few people suggested that it might be improved frankly surprises me.

Sorry, but I was not talking down to you or anyone else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You mean like this

If you think calling attention to how the poll could be made more effective is somehow an impertinence, you and I have quite different standards. And as to the accuracy of my comment, just look at the poll results.

Upvote 0

Minister John

Mar 28, 2012
Ohio
✟7,646.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, Fred, it's not a work merely because we show up to be baptised. In theology, a "work" is (allegedly) a good deed--an act of charity or mercy, etc.--that is supposed to earn God's favor. Of course, I agree with you that such is an incorrect POV, but being baptised is no more a "work" than breathing in and out when listening to the sermon. That requires some motion, too, but there's no concept of it earning our salvation.

I of course agree with you that the poll didn't provide a choice for a number of very common views that are held by Christians, which is why most people feel they can't answer anything.

Albion are you a Fundamentalist? I've never met an Anglican Fundamentalist.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Albion are you a Fundamentalist? I've never met an Anglican Fundamentalist.

I think we're a dying breed, but once were very much the norm. But yes, I believe I match up with all the points used on the forum's list and have been a member here for some time. I am sure that I differ from other fundamentalists on matters that are NOT part of the definition of fundamentalism, but the nature of fundamentalism is to agree on the fundamentals, of course, not the non-essentials.

Upvote 0

Minister John

Mar 28, 2012
Ohio
✟7,646.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think we're a dying breed, but once were very much the norm. But yes, I believe I match up with all the points used on the forum's list and have been a member here for some time. I am sure that I differ from other fundamentalists on matters that are NOT part of the definition of fundamentalism, but the nature of fundamentalism is to agree on the fundamentals, of course, not the non-essentials.

That would make you the only Anglican I have ever met, and I have met many, who believed that the Bible was Verbally Inspired and also believed Sola Scriptura.

Reactions: VCViking
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In this case I believe they would be saved. However this is an extraordinary circumstance and I think we need to beware of making the extraordinary circumstances, ordinary .

I would never say "Baptism is a requirement of salvation." however on the flip side i would never say encourage someone to not be baptized. Baptism is a sacrament instituted by Christ in which we receive the sign and seal. I would question anyone who called themselves Christian yet did not want to receive Gods sign and seal.

Here again, you totally missed the point.

I would never tell somebody that they don't have to be baptized.

If it is all possible, they should.

But there are cases where some have extreme phobias with water and can't be baptized.

But that is besides the point.

Read the OP again:

Question: Is baptism as a necessay requirement for salvation a Fundamentalist belief?​

What is so hard about answering the question about wether or not Baptism is a requirement for salvation for Fundamentalists?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Read the OP again:

What is so hard about answering the question about wether or not Baptism is a requirement for salvation for Fundamentalists?

It seems that the question posed for the poll is not hard to answer, but an adequate answer that is biblical is not given as a choice. Some are saved even if never getting baptized, that is not saying believers are not supposed to be baptized if they can be, but the physical baptism does not cause or bring salvation or the lack of it affect salvation. And it is not just saved individuals getting baptized, it is a wider practice.

To answer further for a previous comment in this thread, baptism does not rank among what would be thought as meritous works done for good of others, but it is still not the work of Yahweh, which salvation is, but physical baptism is commanded for redeemed among humanity, and should be obeyed in so far as possible, so it is a work for men to do.

Upvote 0

ptomwebster

Jul 10, 2011
MN
Visit site
✟1,922.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The answer is "NO." Baptism is not a requirement for salvation for anyone; it is an act of obedience.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.