The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So, reading the akathist to our Mother, I came upon a thought, that I wanted to run by you all: The Church is our Mother, and our Mother is the Church. We are born (baptized) in Church. Could it be said that the waters of baptism is like the waters of our Mother who gives birth to us as new Christians? Is this an Orthodox thought? If not, where did my thought go wrong?

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, reading the akathist to our Mother, I came upon a thought, that I wanted to run by you all: The Church is our Mother, and our Mother is the Church. We are born (baptized) in Church. Could it be said that the waters of baptism is like the waters of our Mother who gives birth to us as new Christians? Is this an Orthodox thought? If not, where did my thought go wrong?

Justin,

The church is not our mother but we are the church.

This is what apostle Paul have said:

So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with God’s people and members of the household of God, -Ephesians 2:19

built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, -Ephesians 2:20

in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. -Ephesians 2:21

In sum, we the Gentiles who are brought near Christ’s blood are now longer strangers and aliens but are fellow citizens with God’s people, the Jews in what God has promised.

In union with Christ Jesus, we both Gentiles and Jews being joined together and grows into a holy temple ( the holy church ).

Also, we are Not baptized in church !

As apostle Paul have said :

Do you not know that ALL OF US who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? -Romans 6:3

We were buried therefore with Him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life. -Romans 6:4

Therefore, we are baptized into Christ Jesus !

Regarding the water, this is what apostle John have said :

This is he who came by water and blood'Jesus Christ; not by the water only but by the water and the blood. And the Spirit is the one who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. -1 John 5:6

the Spirit and the water and the blood; and these three agree. -1 John 5:8

If we receive the testimony of men, the testimony of God is greater, for this is the testimony of God that he has borne concerning his Son. -1 John 5:9

So, Jesus Christ came not by the water only but by the water and blood. This is what the Spirit of God testifies !

May you receive the testimony of the Spirit of God and be blessed.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I have never heard of that, but it still sounds like a good thought.

Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Justin,

The church is not our mother but we are the church.

This is what apostle Paul have said:

So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with God’s people and members of the household of God, -Ephesians 2:19

built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, -Ephesians 2:20

in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. -Ephesians 2:21

In sum, we the Gentiles who are brought near Christ’s blood are now longer strangers and aliens but are fellow citizens with God’s people, the Jews in what God has promised.

In union with Christ Jesus, we both Gentiles and Jews being joined together and grows into a holy temple ( the holy church ).

Also, we are Not baptized in church !

As apostle Paul have said :

Do you not know that ALL OF US who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? -Romans 6:3

We were buried therefore with Him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life. -Romans 6:4

Therefore, we are baptized into Christ Jesus !

Regarding the water, this is what apostle John have said :

This is he who came by water and blood'Jesus Christ; not by the water only but by the water and the blood. And the Spirit is the one who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. -1 John 5:6

If we receive the testimony of men, the testimony of God is greater, for this is the testimony of God that he has borne concerning his Son. -1 John 5:9

So, Jesus Christ came not by the water only but by the water and blood. This is what the Spirit of God testifies !

May you receive the testimony of the Spirit of God and be blessed.

Santoso, God bless. We are speaking different languages as I asked this question in the Eastern Orthodox forum.

Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟277,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
From Entering the Orthodox Church by Metropolitan Hierotheos of Nafpaktos:

"According to Nicholas Cabasilas, there are three basic sacraments that make up spiritual life. The first is Baptism, the second, Chrismation and the third, is the Divine Eucharist. Through Baptism, man is born spiritually, since the baptismal font is the spiritual womb of the Church. Just as we acquire biological life within our mother's womb, likewise, we acquire spiritual life in the Church's womb, the sacred font. Chrism is the movement that activates the grace, which we received with Holy Baptism. It is not only necessary for someone to be born; he must also live after the birth. This takes place with Holy Chrism."

This is me talking now. In catechism, or at baptisms, I have described it as the font being the womb, Chrismation being the breath of life, and the Eucharist as the way we are nursed and nourished into this new life.

Upvote 0