Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What happened to thinking for ourselves? Don’t we as humans have the right to determine what we read and think? These books are banned for depicting how live ACTUALLY was for people. What, are we supposed to pretend those things never happened in the name of political correctness? Newsflash: they did. People said and did those things. These books were written to show the problem, to call others to be part of the solution. To shut down anything that depicts the way people are really treated is degrading and intolerance in and of itself.
During Banned Books Week, Readers Explore What It Means To Challenge Texts — NPR

Reactions: Ligurian

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What happened to thinking for ourselves? Don’t we as humans have the right to determine what we read and think? These books are banned for depicting how live ACTUALLY was for people. What, are we supposed to pretend those things never happened in the name of political correctness? Newsflash: they did. People said and did those things. These books were written to show the problem, to call others to be part of the solution. To shut down anything that depicts the way people are really treated is degrading and intolerance in and of itself.
During Banned Books Week, Readers Explore What It Means To Challenge Texts — NPR

"Banned" is one thing, "challenged" another. Are any of these texts made unavailable for purchase? Should art of any kind escape "challenge"?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Banned" is one thing, "challenged" another. Are any of these texts made unavailable for purchase? Should art of any kind escape "challenge"?

Apparently, they have only been successful in banning the books from libraries.

So far.

But we're next. That's how it always works.

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I never really understood banning books. But then again, I’m a librarian.
"Banned" is one thing, "challenged" another. Are any of these texts made unavailable for purchase? Should art of any kind escape "challenge"?
Yup. Yup. Yup.

I understand why some books aren’t in school libraries; The Joy of Sex shouldn’t be in a K-12 school library.
But public libraries are fair game.

And while librarians are human and prone to error; shame on the librarian who refuses to purchase books based on personal bias.

I understand witchcraft and sorcery are evil; I understand there are things you shouldn’t read. That doesn’t mean that I can pick and choose what you can read. God gave you free will. The dark part of the library will always be there, doesn’t mean that you should go there, but it will always be there.

We cannot undo the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Like the Library that part will always be there, its up to us individuals to decide to not go there.
Librarians cannot pick and choose though.

Upvote 0

TheFlagen430297

Nevermind, I found it :P
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2021
Missouri USA
Visit site
✟30,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's only a matter of time (and a short time of that) when they will claim that the Bible is Sexiest and Racist. We need to be very careful when books are so evil that we must ban them yet The Communist Manifesto gets to be mainstream :/
The Joy of Sex shouldn’t be in a K-12 school library.
Yet sadly books like that (Or worst) are allowed :(

It is really sad and just weird

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It's only a matter of time (and a short time of that) when they will claim that the Bible is Sexiest and Racist. We need to be very careful when books are so evil that we must ban them yet The Communist Manifesto gets to be mainstream :/

Yet sadly books like that (Or worst) are allowed :(

It is really sad and just weird
No. The Bible will be next to the Quran and other religious texts.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Apparently, they have only been successful in banning the books from libraries.

So far.

But we're next. That's how it always works.

I honestly think at some point, the Bible will banned from public display, and not for sale. We will be able to have them in our homes, and churches only.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
They are being made unavailable in school and public libraries

I do think some books shouldn't be taught from at the k-12 levels if they are controversial either in history or ideology.

But I don't think banning them from public libraries should be done... many people depend on public libraries even today for reading material, I know I certainly do and I always find it frustrating to no end to find books I have to actually purchase in order to read.

So I agree people can go too far in order to stand against various ideological or historical books, and taking them out of public libraries is likely too far... even those books I may disagree with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I honestly think we will soon see the Bible banned from public display, and no longer forsale. We will be able to have them in our homes, and churches only.

The Trump insurrection failed. Freedom will be coming back, I think. What Trump and followers didn't think about was that religious oppression can easily be turned on the oppressors.

Who does not see that the same authority which can establish Christianity, in exclusion of all other Religions, may establish with the same ease any particular sect of Christians, in exclusion of all other Sects?
James Madison, Memorial and Remonstrance Against Religious Assessments

Upvote 0

Will Joseph

Jul 10, 2020
Bronx
✟26,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The Joy of Sex shouldn’t be in a K-12 school library.
But public libraries are fair game.

I would prefer "The Joy of Sex" to not be in my public library, especially if a kid accidentally reads it. Or if that book is accepted, then "The STIs of Sex" should be in public libraries too.

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I would prefer "The Joy of Sex" to not be in my public library, especially if a kid accidentally reads it. Or if that book is accepted, then "The STIs of Sex" should be in public libraries too.
Libraries function based on requests.
If it’s highly requested enough, it doesn’t matter what it is, we (technically should) purchase it for patrons.
From The Joy of Sex to The Lord of the Rings to The Anarchist’s Cookbook, it doesn’t matter. We purchase it for the public.
Now that being said, all libraries generally do have sexual wellness books.

Finally, these books are all within the adult section of the library. It is very separated from the children and teen section. Usually a reference section, periodical section, computer lab, etc separates them. It is by design.

Upvote 0