Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
One drawback of working from home is that you loose track of days. I almost forgot that this is Banned Book week until I came into my office this morning. Many excellent books--ranging from Harry Potter to Huckleberry Finn to the Bible to Where's Waldo to I am Jazz to the Dictionary--have been challenged or banned.

Read a banned book this week!

Reactions: public hermit

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One drawback of working from home is that you loose track of days. I almost forgot that this is Banned Book week until I came into my office this morning. Many excellent books--ranging from Harry Potter to Huckleberry Finn to the Bible to Where's Waldo to I am Jazz to the Dictionary--have been challenged or banned.

which banned book.do you recommend? Aside from Bible, obviously!

Reactions: Nevada Smith
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Where's Waldo was banned???why??

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
which banned book.do you recommend? Aside from Bible, obviously!
If you want serious reading I would recommend Huck Finn. It has been banned for use of the N word. For children, I would recommend Harriet the Spy, banned because some claimed that Harriet was a poor role model for children because she exhibited delinquent tendencies. Of course, I enjoyed all the Harry Potter books (all have been banned in some places).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Where's Waldo was banned???why??
The original edition included a beach scene. If you looked very closely you could see a woman whose top has come off among all the people on the beach. Someone decided that children needed to be protected from cartoon boobs. It later editions the woman is wearing a top.

When I say very closely, it took two of us at least ten minutes of searching to find her.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The original edition included a beach scene. If you looked very closely you could see a woman whose top has come off among all the people on the beach. Someone decided that children needed to be protected from cartoon boobs. It later editions the woman is wearing a top.

When I say very closely, it took two of us at least ten minutes of searching to find her.

crazy world we live in

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you want serious reading I would recommend Huck Finn. It has been banned for use of the N word. For children, I would recommend Harriet the Spy, banned because some claimed that Harriet was a poor role model for children because she exhibited delinquent tendencies. Of course, I enjoyed all the Harry Potter books (all have been banned in some places).
I

I enjoyed Harriet the Spy.... Wasn't so keen on Hick Finn but was a long time since I read it

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I wouldn't say Harriet was a.delinquent.. She did learn that spying on people.and writing nasty things about them was a foolish thing to do with consequences
I agree. I have been collecting banned books and read it again when I got a copy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nevada Smith

Sep 20, 2020
Paxton
✟14,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For those that like "banned" books in the audio format, I would highly recommend
LibriVox | free public domain audiobooks

They have thousands of books are from the public domain. Many of the are no longer in print. The books are read by volunteers and are free to download. If you have a favorite book that is in the public domain and want to share it with other, you can volunteer to be a reader.

Nothing better than lying in bed at night and falling asleep to a good story. I also load up my MP3 player when I hit the road.

For those that are looking for ways to entertain children, other than setting them down in front of the boob tube there is a whole section on children books. Many of them I haven't heard in years, since my mother read them to me long ago
LibriVox

For those that are of a scholarly nature there are the Bible commentary along with other books on religion.
LibriVox

Of a more whimsical nature, there is their insomnia collection. Nothing like having the "
Telephone Directory, Menomonie (Wisc.), April 1919" read to you at night to help you fall asleep.
https://ia800201.us.archive.org/23/...ins003_menomonieteleophonedirectory_128kb.mp3

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,395,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
7UvJN6G.png

MOD HAT ON

This thread has been moved from Current News & Events to The Junk Drawer.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Nevada Smith

Sep 20, 2020
Paxton
✟14,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I was younger, I remember our church banned Origin of Species by Darwin. I read it anyway, and moved on Funny thing is, people badmouthed the book, talked about how it was wrong, what it said etc.....and then admitted that they never read and never would read it. Always wondered what made them experts on a book that they had never read .

After reading it, I discovered that what the book said, and what those church people said it said, were not even close to being accurate. It would seem that certain individuals were in the habit of spreading myth, propaganda, and misinformation as though it were fact.

No big deal, people do all the time. It is human nature. but it made me wonder, if they were wrong about Darwin, and what Darwin taught, are they wrong about God too?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums