Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've noticed that modern democracy seems obsessed about "legitimacy," much more than it is concerned with consistency or indeed even coherency.

For example we have the quote here:

“More generally, I think what she would say is that there is a clear difference between legitimate scrutiny and conduct that is fuelled by hate and personal abuse.”

Which essentially says that they are only against "illegitimate" speech. If you are punished for your speech, then it clearly wasn't "legitimate scrutiny."

This criteria of "legitimacy" seems to generally be employed to pretend to support a general principle while simultaneously opposing specific instances. We can easily imagine the spokeswoman saying "I support the right of everyone to voice his or her opinion" but then following up with "but that only applies to legitimate opinions, not those formed by hatred." It's not clear why hatred makes something no longer an opinion or a form of scrutiny, so it would appear that a general principle is being applied and then violated.

It reminds me of how people will dismiss all negative examples of their favorite types of government as being inauthentic or illegitimate.

Upvote 0