Baltimore gun arrests decline by hundreds after indictments of Gun Trace Task Force members

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Baltimore gun arrests decline by hundreds after indictments of Gun Trace Task Force members
The corruption indictments this year against Baltimore’s elite Gun Trace Task Force has produced an undesirable consequence: a major decline in gun arrests in the city.

The corruption indictments this year against Baltimore’s elite Gun Trace Task Force has produced an undesirable consequence: a major decline in gun arrests in the city.

When police corruption is allowed to continue, it only exacerbates the problem, leading to sacking of such task force, which has the unintended results seen here.

• Agree
Reactions: Ygrene Imref

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

When police corruption is allowed to continue, it only exacerbates the problem, leading to sacking of such task force, which has the unintended results seen here.

Good luck getting people to admit there is, definitively and on a massive scale, police corruption without apologizing for the "good ones."

The alleged "good ones" often remain silent in their observance of this corruption - despite having the power to actually challenge it. Understandably, not all cops are bad, but that is just repeating a generalization of a genetalization: that not all humans are bad. It is trite, and an ignorant statement to make in response to massive and wide-scale corruption and criminality. It keeps it going.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Good luck getting people to admit there is, definitively and on a massive scale, police corruption without apologizing for the "good ones."

The alleged "good ones" often remain silent in their observance of this corruption - despite having the power to actually challenge it. Understandably, not all cops are bad, but that is just repeating a generalization of a genetalization: that not all humans are bad. It is trite, and an ignorant statement to make in response to massive and wide-scale corruption and criminality. It keeps it going.
I'm not quite sure they have as much power to fight it. If you look at some of the DOJ reports, the retaliation for snitching/ratting out your fellow officers can lead to very a hostile, dangerous work environment. In one case, the police officer turned another officer in for misconduct, only to have other officers refuse to back him up when he called for it. That poisonous environment makes cops that would not participate in misconduct willing participants in covering things up.

• Agree
Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm not quite sure they have as much power to fight it. If you look at some of the DOJ reports, the retaliation for snitching/ratting out your fellow officers can lead to very a hostile, dangerous work environment. In one case, the police officer turned another officer in for misconduct, only to have other officers refuse to back him up when he called for it. That poisonous environment makes cops that would not participate in misconduct willing participants in covering things up.

You have a point.

However, I am a little less forgiving: if I have a gun pointed to my head, and I am given the choice to between A and B, I can always choose "C" and die.

At some point, dignity and upholding the oath to protect citizens has to supersede circumstance - including ridicule, firing/retaliation or even death. Because these are the only civilians with the power to change the paradigm (however marginal,) they are at times considered even more responsible than the terrible, corrupt lot of alleged officers of the law.

Upvote 0