Feb 21, 2012
✟437,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
A Baltimore police sergeant was spat on and kicked during a check, authorities say - CNN

"A group of people kicked a Baltimore police sergeant as he tried to arrest a man who'd spat in his face, authorities say.

The sergeant was conducting a business check just before midnight Friday when a person started arguing with him and spat on him, Police Commissioner Michael Harrison said in a statement Saturday. It's unclear what the argument or the check were about.

There a video attached. Judging by the video and the article, the cop was checking on a business (probably asked to because an alarm went off or someone behaving suspicious outside) when he got into an argument with a man who spat on him. He went to arrest the man and was assaulted by him and multiple other subjects in the area who kicked and punch him while he struggled with the subject. He has been praised for showing restraint.

The subjects who assaulted him and can be seen laughing while doing it, recorded the incident and posted it online (apparently).

I'm sure we can all agree that this is bad and shouldn't happen. I know that if the situation were reversed, and this was a black subject and a group of white cops beating him...we'd see a lot of the same claims we normally see...

Claims like...

-This was racially motivated.
-Even the cops who weren't involved should turn them in, because they make the whole police community look bad.
-For every time you see this on video, it happens dozens of times without anyone knowing.
-This is why certain communities don't trust cops.
-Cops are held to a lower standard than the average person.

Do these same arguments hold up here? Is this racially motivated because the cop is white and all the suspects appear to be black? Should we expect the friends and family of these people to come forward and turn in everyone involved in this attack? Does this sort of thing happen to police all the time and this is just one of the few times it was recorded? Is it understandable if this cop and others who have been in similar situations now distrust the communities who did this to them?

If you answered no to any of the above questions....do you really think we hold the police to a lower standard than the general public?

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There is a marked anti-cop sentiment among some, particularly on the more left-leaning side of American politics. It is not unjustified in certain cases, but this doesn't appear to be one of them from what you've told us about the incident.

And I sure am glad that the police have come in the few past incidences I've had to call them to deal with, to make sure people didn't hurt/kill themselves or people around them. Everybody hates the cops until there's someone who isn't a cop waving a gun around, and you know they haven't had any cop-level training... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,907.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
A Baltimore police sergeant was spat on and kicked during a check, authorities say - CNN

"A group of people kicked a Baltimore police sergeant as he tried to arrest a man who'd spat in his face, authorities say.

The sergeant was conducting a business check just before midnight Friday when a person started arguing with him and spat on him, Police Commissioner Michael Harrison said in a statement Saturday. It's unclear what the argument or the check were about.

There a video attached. Judging by the video and the article, the cop was checking on a business (probably asked to because an alarm went off or someone behaving suspicious outside) when he got into an argument with a man who spat on him. He went to arrest the man and was assaulted by him and multiple other subjects in the area who kicked and punch him while he struggled with the subject. He has been praised for showing restraint.

The subjects who assaulted him and can be seen laughing while doing it, recorded the incident and posted it online (apparently).

I'm sure we can all agree that this is bad and shouldn't happen. I know that if the situation were reversed, and this was a black subject and a group of white cops beating him...we'd see a lot of the same claims we normally see...

Claims like...

-This was racially motivated.
-Even the cops who weren't involved should turn them in, because they make the whole police community look bad.
-For every time you see this on video, it happens dozens of times without anyone knowing.
-This is why certain communities don't trust cops.
-Cops are held to a lower standard than the average person.

Do these same arguments hold up here? Is this racially motivated because the cop is white and all the suspects appear to be black? Should we expect the friends and family of these people to come forward and turn in everyone involved in this attack? Does this sort of thing happen to police all the time and this is just one of the few times it was recorded? Is it understandable if this cop and others who have been in similar situations now distrust the communities who did this to them?

If you answered no to any of the above questions....do you really think we hold the police to a lower standard than the general public?
If any of those who assaulted the officer found themselves as victims of crime, they would be the first to call the police and bleat for help!

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I'm in my community relations group for our local police. Most of them are hard working, devoted police. There's a few 'bad apples' as with any group, but overall they're good.

• Winner
Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm in my community relations group for our local police. Most of them are hard working, devoted police. There's a few 'bad apples' as with any group, but overall they're good.
Sweeping generalizations don't usually work, do they: often there are good and bad in a measure among groups of people, to a lesser or greater extent.

Upvote 0