• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Baldness

Zbnigniew

Mar 28, 2022
Sacramento
✟8,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm 26 and basically fully bald. I've always been a relatively self-conscious person but now I find myself heaped with this burden that, while hardly crippling, keeps me from doing many things I feel I ought. It's not that it's my Costanza hairline that keeps me from doing anything but it's my thoughts surrounding my looks and that somewhere I simply decided that I'd rather just avoid any situations that would make me uncomfortable. Which is obviously not a lifestyle that I want to live or that God wants me to live, I assume. Despite being aware of these things it doesn't do anything practically and I am hard pressed to remove my hat in most situations. I've always felt like I never really fit in with anywhere or with anyone, besides a few best friends growing up, and that feeling has compounded with me both being a Christian and going bald. I guess nothing can stop me from sharing the gospel with people, and maybe I don't need to fit in, and I'm fine being alone and a self-proclaimed outcast, but it would be nice to reach the other side of this feeling of being trapped in the flesh. I can't help but feel a bit broken by the situation, and I'm not sure that there is anything that could be said here that will help me, because something transformational needs to occur within me and there are no magic words, but I'd appreciate any advice or scripture you would like to send my way. Hope you all have a great day or night. God bless.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I'm 26 and basically fully bald. I've always been a relatively self-conscious person but now I find myself heaped with this burden that, while hardly crippling, keeps me from doing many things I feel I ought. It's not that it's my Costanza hairline that keeps me from doing anything but it's my thoughts surrounding my looks and that somewhere I simply decided that I'd rather just avoid any situations that would make me uncomfortable. Which is obviously not a lifestyle that I want to live or that God wants me to live, I assume. Despite being aware of these things it doesn't do anything practically and I am hard pressed to remove my hat in most situations. I've always felt like I never really fit in with anywhere or with anyone, besides a few best friends growing up, and that feeling has compounded with me both being a Christian and going bald. I guess nothing can stop me from sharing the gospel with people, and maybe I don't need to fit in, and I'm fine being alone and a self-proclaimed outcast, but it would be nice to reach the other side of this feeling of being trapped in the flesh. I can't help but feel a bit broken by the situation, and I'm not sure that there is anything that could be said here that will help me, because something transformational needs to occur within me and there are no magic words, but I'd appreciate any advice or scripture you would like to send my way. Hope you all have a great day or night. God bless.
First of all, have you sought a medical opinion?
If you haven't yet, I would recommend that as your first course of action.
Don't give up hope if you don't have to. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Most all of us have something we'd like to change about how we appear to others. When I was your age, I was a bit self-conscious about my appearance until I met a certain man with a lazy eye. I noticed that this man lacked zero confidence when speaking to others. In fact, he was very charismatic. He was very enthusiastic and encouraging to speak with. He always displayed a sincere interest in the well-being of others. God had gifted him with a magnetic personality and I'm sure I'm not the only that learned from his selfless example of showing compassion at the risk of some people thinking he looked weird.
Isaiah describes Jesus as someone that 'was despised and rejected. We hid our faces from Him.' Yet, He is the most worshiped and adored Man that ever was, is, and will be. Vanity is one of the Devil's most effective traps. May God deliver us from that crippling snare and enable us to follow Christ's selfless love.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟720,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

There are many who have the ability to grown hair but choose to shave their head and embrase and celebrate being bald.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,720.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can create your own personality or style with a shaved head.

Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson, Bruce Willis or Jason Statham are examples that you do not need hair to be confident in society or attractive to women.

You can also experiment with various styles of beard.

Summary - its not as big deal as you personally think it is. Just accomodate your style to it, little bit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As a young man, I told my mother she would never see me bald; I would get a toupee if necessary. As each day passed and I saw more and more of my hair lying on the shower floor, that toupee seemed less and less important. If male pattern baldness wasn't enough, the fringe that remained left me white-headed by the time I was 35. At school conferences, my children's friends would ask them, "Is that your grandpa?"

It's hard to beat genetics. I never got the toupee nor the hair dye. Being prematurely bald never held me back from friendships, relationships, or jobs. The only thing that can limit us is how we think about ourselves. There is life after baldness. How we look does not define who we are. May you find peace with the person you are.

Upvote 0

turkle

Blessed
Jan 25, 2004
✟226,607.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are a child of God; your identity is in Him. You are precious to Him, fearfully and wonderfully made exactly the way He made you.

You call yourself a self-proclaimed outcast. I suspect you felt that way before you started losing your hair. I have found that people who have difficulty with relationships will blame that problem on something they can't control, such as a physical challenge, a family upbringing or something similar. I remember a co-worker who was never at her desk, flirted relentlessly with a young man who didn't want it, and fell behind in her work. When management called her on it, she said she was being targeted because she was female and black. Nothing could be further from the truth. I shared an office with her and watched her constantly goofing off.

My point is, if you are firmly rooted in your identity in Christ, your premature balding means nothing. Folks who are rooted in Him can be confident without being cocky, charismatic without being obnoxious, and fun, friendly people who draw others to themselves.

Do you think you are isolating yourself by using your condition as an excuse? If so, then I recommend that you pray for help in understanding exactly who you are in Christ. In doing so, your confidence can grow exponentially.

And, finally, haven't you noticed that baldness is in fashion? Lots of people shave their heads for a certain look. Why not embrace that? I have a friend that had a gorgeous head of hair when he was young. Then he developed alopecia and lost not only the hair on his head, but his eyebrows, eyelashes and everything else. He embraced his new look, assured us when we were worried he was in chemo, and continues to be a magnetic personality and successful in business and in life. No excuses.

One more thing. Toupees are awful! You can always tell. This is strictly my opinion, but I think men who wear them are unattractive because they are trying to hide. I think that people, both men and women, who accept themselves as they are and make the most of it are the most attractive people around.

Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just turn it into a fashion statement. Embrace the new you and wear it proudly. It has become a common thing among men such that most don't seem to worry about it anymore. Or if not, maybe you could look into things like getting a hair transplant, if it continues to stress you out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums