✟8,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hi all,

This is my first post, and I'm glad this forum exists. Great to see a venue where believers can encourage each other.

So, here's my issue: I'm fighting hair loss, don't personally think I look good at all bald, and want to keep my hair. I know this is the definition of a first world problem, but for some reason it's still been bothering me quite a bit. I'm still single, and would like to date. My hair hasn't receded a TON yet, but it's visible. When I shave my head, the classic male pattern baldness signs are apparent. I've despised the way I look with a buzzcut since a young age, and have even tried the look again a couple times in the past couple years, only to realize it was not the look for me. Each time, I've been eager for my hair to just grow out. Understandably, when the whole hair loss thing became noticeable, I panicked, got on the meds ASAP (generic forms of propecia/rogaine), and didn't look back. Well, until a couple years ago.

The problem? Well, since renewing my faith and making a deeper commitment to walking with the Lord, I haven't felt spiritual peace about fighting to keep my hair. I know it sounds stupid, but please hear my out. Even though I don't have much of a personal issue with fighting hair loss, in general, I don't know if that's the route I'm personally supposed to take. I'm trying to hear God's voice as to the right actions for me to take on this matter.

When my whole issues about 'fighting hair loss' surfaced in the first place, a friend prayed with me on the matter (he actually prayed for God to heal my hair, while I was just sort of praying about the situation in general -- what to do/not to do/etc.). During this prayer, I actually felt the presence of the Holy spirit (the heat/warm sensation, all of that stuff -- not to get into a charismatic debate). After that prayer I stopped taking the meds. My hair was okay for a bit, but a few months later I could feel it falling. At that point, I chickened out and started the meds back up again, which worked, but I didn't feel right deep down spiritually. So I stopped again, but bargained with myself to not give up on the fight completely, saying 'well, maybe it's just the Propecia I should steer clear of, because it can have bad side effects.' Then, I went on the generic form of Rogaine alone. Unfortunately, I still didn't feel right about the whole thing.

After that, I decided to take an all natural route. I experimented around, lost more hair (and a couple months ago it was legit noticeable, at least to me), and have found a hair loss shampoo and all-natural hair loss supplement that seemed to be way better than nothing. The problem? Well, I still don't feel amazing with the Lord about this. I know it sounds extreme to say "I'm afraid I'm sinning by doing something about my hair loss," but I don't see "not sinning" to be as simple as not breaking laws; I see it as whether a person is following God's specific instructions for his or her own life. To be clear: I don't think doing something about hair loss is a categorical sin; perhaps it just is for me.

This is tough, because I loathe the prospect of disobedience to God, but I also hate the way I look without hair. It's not a flattering look for me at all (let's face it, Bruce Willis and Patrick Stewart are lucky), and I'd like to date around soon. I feel like if I could have a clear answer from God about what path to take, I'd follow it with peace. I'm just having a hard time getting that answer. I'm considering fasting to get that kind of guidance.

Your prayers and wisdom are appreciated. Thank you all.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Do you identify this as an issue with vanity?

Appearance in the flesh can be used as an attack by the enemy if we put too much concern into it.

1 Peter 3:3-4
3 Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. 4 You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.

It's our flesh after all, and the flesh will age and die.

I'm receding and it has been used as an attack which uncovered vanity in me.

Give it over to the Lord and don't worry, let it happen and instead concern yourself with inner beauty.

This is a challenge I am facing too and your thread has encouraged me to not fight hair loss.

May God bless you brother.

Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2017
USA
✟8,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hey guys, appreciate the responses. IM_Sorry, thanks for the insight -- that may be the route I take, it's just not an easy one. I appreciate the encouragement. Hoping that I can find joy if it's the route I feel like I must to go down.

'Go Braves', I'm in my early 30s.

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hey guys, appreciate the responses. IM_Sorry, thanks for the insight -- that may be the route I take, it's just not an easy one. I appreciate the encouragement. Hoping that I can find joy if it's the route I feel like I must to go down.

I'm in my early 30's too :)

How much time do you spend worrying about your hair?

Do you obsess about one hair falling out?

How many times do you check it in the mirror?

Does it make you stress, anxious depressed?

Do lies happen? e.g. no one will find me attractive because of hair?

This is how the enemy gets to us and makes us weaker in spirit by bringing us into concerns for fleshly things.

Be free in Christ Jesus brother, I pray for you as the same for me.

Joy is a fruit of the Holy Spirit :)

Galatians 5:22-23
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

• Friendly
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Well I'd say that at your age you're pretty young to be losing hair but it's not all that unusual. I'm in college & know some fellows who are already losing theirs.

I don't think it's vain to want to do something about it. For one thing, hair isn't just a vanity thing since it helps to protect your head. I'm in the ROTC & some of my buddies who have shaved heads have to make sure they put sunscreen on or else they'll have fried heads.

I don't think there's a thing in the world wrong with using Rogaine or any of that stuff.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
there's nothing in scripture that would condemn you for trying to save your hair but if it really is bothersome to your own conscience to save your hair then you need to stop.

as already mentioned, this may be a vanity issue rather than a Rogaine use issue.

as far as the females are concerned, focus on achieving your life goals and building something. when the females see an ambitious man with a plan who is going somewhere, they'll come to you. don't worry too much about the few chics who may not be into bald/balding guys.

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Regarding the flesh, this is from me not scripture:

Perhaps try concentrate on what you do have, we men can grow some epic beards.

Let what will eventually go, go.

But don't put too much weight into appearance, it's not important.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2017
USA
✟8,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, guys. All very helpful and thoughtful advice. Yeah, for me, this is probably a vanity thing, though I would also like to keep my hair because I just like the way it looks better -- not just to females. And yeah, 'Im_Sorry' (ha ha, don't know how to tag people on this thing!), it's become sort of an obsession. The irony is that the bigger obsession I've had than "whether" I'm losing my hair is "am I able to do something about it without upsetting God." Honestly, there was a period when I didn't think much at all about either of these things. It just seemed like a flip switched one day, where all of a sudden what had felt fine didn't so much anymore.

Sadly, my beard growing capability isn't phenomenal, though i can grow an a-okay goatee, ha ha.

I feel like this would be so much easier if I looked good with the hairless look. The first time I went about cutting my hair short in response to this whole struggle was about two years ago over the holidays. The reactions weren't negative, but they weren't positive, either. Once, my mom asked me (before I went to the barber) if I was going to cut my hair short again like I had before, noting that I shouldn't do that. My dad said "it doesn't look so bad." Ha ha -- not terrible, but not reassuring, either.

The second time I did it was a few months ago. I wanted to give this whole 'lack of inner peace' thing a rest. I had some immediate post-barbershop regrets. I didn't get a positive or negative reception -- just "what happened to all your hair?" and "why did you shave your head?"

I feel like my challenge is less about "I want to look amazing" than it is about not wanting to look uh, less than ideal by fleshly standards. Some people just don't rock the bald look, ha ha. Looking less than stellar in my own eyes is something that I am sure I can handle, eventually (or the new look would perhaps be a taste I would acquire over time); being right with God is what I want more than hair, of course. I just wish I could have the best of both worlds.

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
being right with God is what I want more than hair, of course. I just wish I could have the best of both worlds

The former will shape how you see the latter.

:)

May God bless you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,087.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Hi all,

This is my first post, and I'm glad this forum exists. Great to see a venue where believers can encourage each other.

So, here's my issue: I'm fighting hair loss, don't personally think I look good at all bald, and want to keep my hair. I know this is the definition of a first world problem, but for some reason it's still been bothering me quite a bit. I'm still single, and would like to date. My hair hasn't receded a TON yet, but it's visible. When I shave my head, the classic male pattern baldness signs are apparent. I've despised the way I look with a buzzcut since a young age, and have even tried the look again a couple times in the past couple years, only to realize it was not the look for me. Each time, I've been eager for my hair to just grow out. Understandably, when the whole hair loss thing became noticeable, I panicked, got on the meds ASAP (generic forms of propecia/rogaine), and didn't look back. Well, until a couple years ago.

The problem? Well, since renewing my faith and making a deeper commitment to walking with the Lord, I haven't felt spiritual peace about fighting to keep my hair. I know it sounds stupid, but please hear my out. Even though I don't have much of a personal issue with fighting hair loss, in general, I don't know if that's the route I'm personally supposed to take. I'm trying to hear God's voice as to the right actions for me to take on this matter.

When my whole issues about 'fighting hair loss' surfaced in the first place, a friend prayed with me on the matter (he actually prayed for God to heal my hair, while I was just sort of praying about the situation in general -- what to do/not to do/etc.). During this prayer, I actually felt the presence of the Holy spirit (the heat/warm sensation, all of that stuff -- not to get into a charismatic debate). After that prayer I stopped taking the meds. My hair was okay for a bit, but a few months later I could feel it falling. At that point, I chickened out and started the meds back up again, which worked, but I didn't feel right deep down spiritually. So I stopped again, but bargained with myself to not give up on the fight completely, saying 'well, maybe it's just the Propecia I should steer clear of, because it can have bad side effects.' Then, I went on the generic form of Rogaine alone. Unfortunately, I still didn't feel right about the whole thing.

After that, I decided to take an all natural route. I experimented around, lost more hair (and a couple months ago it was legit noticeable, at least to me), and have found a hair loss shampoo and all-natural hair loss supplement that seemed to be way better than nothing. The problem? Well, I still don't feel amazing with the Lord about this. I know it sounds extreme to say "I'm afraid I'm sinning by doing something about my hair loss," but I don't see "not sinning" to be as simple as not breaking laws; I see it as whether a person is following God's specific instructions for his or her own life. To be clear: I don't think doing something about hair loss is a categorical sin; perhaps it just is for me.

This is tough, because I loathe the prospect of disobedience to God, but I also hate the way I look without hair. It's not a flattering look for me at all (let's face it, Bruce Willis and Patrick Stewart are lucky), and I'd like to date around soon. I feel like if I could have a clear answer from God about what path to take, I'd follow it with peace. I'm just having a hard time getting that answer. I'm considering fasting to get that kind of guidance.

Your prayers and wisdom are appreciated. Thank you all.
Guys can look great bald. Can you, or someone else, take a photo of you and photoshop all your head hair off? That might help you make up your mind. I see no Biblical problem with you shaving your head. Sometimes in the Bible people shaved their whole bodies for various reasons.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,087.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Well I'd say that at your age you're pretty young to be losing hair but it's not all that unusual. I'm in college & know some fellows who are already losing theirs.

I don't think it's vain to want to do something about it. For one thing, hair isn't just a vanity thing since it helps to protect your head. I'm in the ROTC & some of my buddies who have shaved heads have to make sure they put sunscreen on or else they'll have fried heads.

I don't think there's a thing in the world wrong with using Rogaine or any of that stuff.
I have heard that Rogaine can cause an enlarged heart or other heart abnormalities.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I told my dad that when your hair turns grey it just means its a sign of wisdom and when it falls out.... well I have no answer. lol.

I personally don't care to much about my hair. I've never really understood the obsession with not showing grey. Then again I was on a ton of meds as a child and started getting grey hairs at that time. Not like a full head of them or anything. Just a few greys. As I hit my 20s I had a few more. Around 31 or so I started getting much more. You can barely tell since they are mixed in with my hair, unless you look close.

I also have bald looking spots where most men do in the front corners, but mine are from sensors always being on my head dor EKGs and what not. It doesn't really bother me either. I don't really take good care of my hair either (not that I let it become sloppy and greasy). And yet people still love my hair for some reason because it seems thick and "elegant" (as some say).

Now I will say baldness can be awkward depending on where it starts and what it looks like. For example this picture below is ok for balding:
299ae83c1f3d25deee2115f44a126f1c--older-mens-hairstyles-best-hairstyles.jpg

But this picture below..... I don't like at all:
22ce2e264d31858b3f39a597a0dbe104--bald-haircut-hair-repair.jpg

I just find it odd looking and it makes people look old. At that point I'd just start shaving my head either bald or having a small buzzed looking cut. I wouldn't bother though with hair coloring. Which really just makes any balding even more obvious since the skin is light compared to darkened hair. Again, while I don't care about hair at this point, I just don't want certain looks as I age. My dads hair has really thinned out (he has short kinky Italian hair) and as hes aged its gone from an afro (hes white) to shorter and now very short and thinned out in general. Though it doesn't look that bad really on him. Having his type of hair wors better with balding.

I'm a mix of my mothers straight long hair and my dads short curly hair. I think its called "Wavy".

I forgot to get to the point about God in all this. I don't God cares what we do with our hair really as long as it isn't extreme. Like if you made side mohawks and made them neon blue. lol. While there is some vanity things one could bring up, I don't think its the end of the world to want to color your hair or shave it. Its not like your cutting off a limb or putting in nose rings.

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
My husband starting balding in his late teens and by the time I met him, it was clear he was going bald. I didn't marry him because he had hair, I married him because he is kind, has integrity, treats people fairly and is super smart and handy. He also treats me with respect and values me as person. Beauty fades. There are women out there who understand this and look beyond the surface. Make sure you're fishing in the right pond.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dawnhammer

Mar 5, 2017
Denmark
✟23,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just shave it and learn to take it in stride. Women like more of confident bald guy than guy with a hair who is constantly unsure and worried he is getting bald spots.

Also with age shaving is just gonna get easier while keeping the hair is going require ridiculous amount of stress, time and money.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2017
USA
✟8,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hey all,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies and encouragement. I'm going to keep praying on this one - I think the big deal for me is that I need to drop the vanity and feelings of negativity associated with looking/not looking a certain way. Being post-30, we're all getting uglier (ha ha), and it's best not to have those things occupy too much thought. This image-centric society doesn't help... Whether I do minor things to keep my hair healthy, like taking a supplement, I think I just gotta stop thinking about hair. At all.

I do hope I can hear it clearly from God if the answer to this one is to actually uh, go bald sooner rather than later. I still haven't hit the "it would look better shaved" mark, though that may come before I know it.

And yeah, great advice about fishing in the right pond. I want to build a relationship with someone who has feelings/attraction for me regardless of something so silly.

Wow, sad that something as simple hair loss can be a trial, but maybe it's good that it reminds us of our mortality and that there are things of eternal importance to care about.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am mostly bald and I don't think I have a good-looking "chrome dome". Nevertheless, I determined long ago that when it starts (I come from a long line of baldness) that I won't fight it. My hair started to thin, recede, and fall out. I would *not* do the comb-over thing. I just rolled with what was happening and eventually decided to get it cut off. I don't shave my head but when I get my hair cut (I have a rim of hair around the back and sides) I ask them to run the shaver across the top with no guard (to eliminate the peach fuzz). I'm used to it now, and I actually like the freedom that comes with not having to mess with my hair.

My opinion is that God has already told you what He wants with regard to your hair. It's falling out, right? There's your answer.

P.S. I don't look good shirtless or in sandals either. There comes a time when you simply have to accept who you are.

Upvote 0

Poppyseed78

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This might be harsh, but I find it very unattractive when men fight baldness with drugs like Rogaine or Propecia. Embrace it and, honestly, get over it. I had acne for 20 years, and I could let it get me down, but I choose not to. I never wear any makeup. If someone doesn't like my face, they can just not look at me. My husband loves me as I am.

Focus on developing your character. Looks and youth fade.

Upvote 0