Bakers hit with $135k ruling...Go Fund Me shuts down fundraiser for them...

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That was a conversation I had with someone else on here but I was referring to where they were derived from in their establishment.

Of course laws have changed over time and in particular laxed in their application. Some found in criminal law remain eg. theft and murder.

Common law of course is about setting precedents in that individual country...as our law is derived from the UK some of our precedents are based on decisions of the Privy Council.

Like I said even though I totally acknowledge laws have changed (and greatly in the last 50 years here) I was pointing out to people who were clearly in denial, that our laws were in their origin steeped in Christianity.

No, Common law came out of judges trying to apply edict law or regal law, commands from the king. They often used previous rulings to help them (because the English loved to write everything down), and sometimes the Bible or local traditions to fill in the gaps. It is not steeped in Christianity, though it was part of it. But we did not get all of our law from Christianity.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I take it you would be opposed to having Sharia Law implemented in your country but that is in effect what your country has invited by setting this very dangerous precedent. You can be guaranteed that it will be tested in the Court.

You need to understand how broad the implications are for your country. If SSM is ok there would be few little ground on which to rule out polygamy either because the definition of marriage has substantially amended.

Err, no. This ruling strengthens us against Sharia Law, just like it brings us away from Christians using their religion to discriminate against gays. In fact, if they where allowed to discriminate against gays by not selling them a wedding cake, that would make it easier for Sharia Law to be applied, because hey, religious freedom.

I think you are under the illusion that only Christianity can give a free society, and history shows that is not always true.

Upvote 0

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
New South Wales, Australia
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, Common law came out of judges trying to apply edict law or regal law, commands from the king. They often used previous rulings to help them (because the English loved to write everything down), and sometimes the Bible or local traditions to fill in the gaps. It is not steeped in Christianity, though it was part of it. But we did not get all of our law from Christianity.

Do you know how the common law works?

You are correct in saying Judges have to read down statute....that is written law. Written law doesn't help them, it is to be followed. Their job is to take the issue, find the law and apply it.

Previous rulings from the highest court don't help Judges, they must be followed. This is known as the doctrine of precedent.

I think you'll find you'll have difficulty when you go back in time in researching where your country's laws came from. The Council of Nicea had a massive impact on the Emporer and then Constantine wrote it into law.

Marriage just like a number of other laws was derived from Christianity.

Err, no. This ruling strengthens us against Sharia Law, just like it brings us away from Christians using their religion to discriminate against gays. In fact, if they where allowed to discriminate against gays by not selling them a wedding cake, that would make it easier for Sharia Law to be applied, because hey, religious freedom.

I beg to disagree and think you will find it to be quite the opposite... time will no doubt show us all. I suspect the UK is going to be the first.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...he-British-Muslims-who-practise-polygamy.html

I think you are under the illusion that only Christianity can give a free society, and history shows that is not always true.

Considering God is real I'm under no illusion about anything. I'm well aware that unless every single soul on this earth was a Christian, we will never have a free society. That's not going to happen until Jesus comes back again.

Reactions: ken777
Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It's interesting to note that Christianity, as Jesus preached it, is about as far from a legalistic religion as you can possibly get. Jesus' challenging of the legal practices common at the time, coupled with His emphasis on the spiritual letter of the Law (rather than its literal implementation) have given Christians leave to live under the law of the land and not impose their personal morality on government.

Obviously, this isn't always the case, and I've no idea how a Christian state would look, considering how there is no established Christian legal code.

Upvote 0