Baker wins big judgement against Oberlin

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Gibson’s bakery is a 5th generation family business . They get up at 3:00 or 4:00 am everyday to run the family business. Real working class family. Two Black Oberlin college students were caught shoplifting , stuffing bottles of wine under their shirts.
What happened next were organized protests by the usual black activist groups calling the family racist, The college helped organize and fund the continued protest almost causing the family to go out of business.

Now the good news.

An Ohio bakery that sued Oberlin College for libel over accusations of racism has been awarded a total of $44 million in damages.

The family behind Gibson’s Bakery sued the liberal arts institution and a school administrator after the Oberlin bakery was the focus of protests following the arrest of three black students involved in a November 2016 shoplifting incident. The three students later pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges.

A Lorain County jury on Thursday awarded Gibson’s Bakery $33.2 million in punitive damages. Last week, that same jury awarded the bakery, which was founded in Oberlin in 1905, $11 million in compensatory damages.

The actual punitive damages awarded in the case will likely be reduced to around $22 million because Ohio law caps punitive damages to no more than twice that of compensatory damages.

In its lawsuit, the bakery said student protests outside its store and a flier that claimed the business “is a racist establishment” had a “devastating impact” on both the bakery and family.

Ohio Bakery Awarded $44 Million in Libel Case Against Oberlin College

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,667,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good for the bakery! This is just getting ridiculous! Paste a label on people that disagree with you and hold fast to their beliefs. It's gross. People are such lemmings anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I live a few minutes south of Oberlin and graduated from their school district- I still go down there a time or few a week for coffee. They've yet to fire the employee responsible for the lawsuit, but odds are that they're going to give pink slips to several support staff as a result.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I live a few minutes south of Oberlin and graduated from their school district- I still go down there a time or few a week for coffee. They've yet to fire the employee responsible for the lawsuit, but odds are that they're going to give pink slips to several support staff as a result.

They should just build a fence around the university and call it a jail. They will learn nothing from the lawsuit.

Upvote 0