London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Very recently I was exchanging in a topic built around doubts and possibly exiting the faith here on CF, and as usual everyone was very pleasant, reserved and indirect, but the objections to the faith (and as a result the reasons one might leave Christianity) were so bad. Perfect inspiration for another topic!

On the record I think there might be compelling reasons to doubt your faith, but none of those reasons seem to be part of the modern conversation around unbelief. The modern conversation often appears to be “this is how I feel, don’t confuse me with the facts,” moving the convo from ideas and arguments (which are part of a healthy conversation) onto feelings (which is a chemical crank that even the unbeliever isn’t in proper control of.)

So I decided this would be an interesting topic, especially for later converts to the Christian faith (although everyone is included.) The topic is have you ever believed in a really poor argument against Christianity, what was the argument, why don’t you believe in the argument anymore and how do you feel about the argument now that you’re of the opposite opinion?

Coming from a non Christian household (or a nominally Christian home) I’ve entertained nearly every bad argument against Christianity, normally during my teen years, \s where the greatest and most knowledgeable atheists are formed and where we do our most clear headed thinking \s

My contribution to the thread is this “If you were born in a non Christian culture you wouldn’t be a Christian.” Mic drop on the Christians. :tearsofjoy:

There are so many reasons that this complaint is a bad one. My culture growing up (British) was pro abortion, pro uncontrolled immigration, pro European Union, pro homosexuality, pro religious pluralism, relativistic and anti Christian.

Yet people still made this argument against obviously conservative leaning Christians. So being a no holds barred practising Christian in a country that’s Christian in name only isn’t an example of Christians being influenced by the culture, it’s an example of going against the grain of societal norms.

What’s more the complaint was always being made by people who already subscribed to the societal norms listed above, yet they considered their unbelief immune from the same charge.

The objection gets even worse when it’s used as some kind of “therefore Christianity isn’t true” argument, I write the objection gets worse because even with the smallest amount of thought we can each see that the way you arrive at a belief doesn’t invalidate the belief itself.

I could think it’s going to be bright, sunny clear skies today because I’m an incurable optimist, does that odd method prove my belief in the bright day ahead is inaccurate? Of course not. The weather man has more to go on than I do, but we can both share the same accurate belief in a clear sunny day incoming.

“If you were born in a non Christian country you wouldn’t be a Christian” can’t account for people who convert to Christianity after having been raised in majority Muslim, Hindu or atheistic countries. For all of these reasons (and many more) the objection absolutely sucks.

So, were there ever any bad reasons to leave Christianity that you were convinced by or sympathetic to in the past? How do you feel about those objections today?

• Agree
Reactions: hluke

hluke

Jul 28, 2020
Melbourne
✟22,274.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This was more a personal thing, but I have seen this argument used by prominent Atheists

-The false premise that God is a strict dictator, holding a rod and waiting to punish those for every sin they commit.

Ephesians 2 offered a quick/perfect fix to this.

The growing underground churches in China and Iran are another great example of God's work in non-Christian cultures. I've watched many testimonies of Muslims having visions of Christ and being converted in this way. Glory to God!

However, not holding a universalist perspective of Christianity is said to be intolerant: moreover, testimonies are insufficient evidence for God-haters.

• Agree
Reactions: Cormack
Upvote 0

Cormack

“I bet you're a real hulk on the internet...”
Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
testimonies are insufficient evidence for God-haters.

The thing about testimonies is that they come from so many different kinds of people from many different walks of life. Miracles happen to broke people and rich doctors alike, denying human testimony because it’s of a spiritual nature is really just to say you don’t trust people regardless of their good moral character, perfect mental health or their previously cynical attitude.

• Agree
Reactions: hluke
Upvote 0

hluke

Jul 28, 2020
Melbourne
✟22,274.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree, if miracles can't be scientifically proven, then they become false: yet apparently the origin of life can be proven via evolution.

Dr James Tour, a Jewish Christian, chemist, and nanotechnologist studies the human cells and DNA. According to his field of study it is impossible for evolution to describe human existence, let alone for us to understand even the simplest formation of a human cell. It is fanciful and insulting to assimilate the complexity of our bodies to apes, and it is even more astounding to suggest the earth and all its beauty (1) Formed out of nothing (2) has no meaning or reason: it just exists because it can.

If scientist fervently mock and dismiss the supernatural, then how could they possibly give credence to the biggest miracle ever: the formation of the world?

Creationism is obviously a big argument that deters the secular world from coming to the truth. And if Jesus did indeed rise from the dead, (as even the most skeptical historical scholars affirm), then why should any doubt the gospel?

Here are only a few reasons:
  • Pluralism
  • Pride
  • Self-centredness
  • Spiritual blindness

Upvote 0