Backs to the wall: Can bishops ban 'ad orientem'?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A Pillar Explainer

U.S. dioceses in recent weeks have seen new liturgical policies introduced in response to Pope Francis’ motu proprio Traditiones custodes.

But while the pope’s new laws pertain to the Extraordinary Form of the Mass, some dioceses have also announced new policies pertaining to the Ordinary Form, and especially to the ad orientem liturgical posture.

The Diocese of Venice, Florida, announced Tuesday that priests are required to obtain permission from the diocesan bishop or vicar general before offering Mass in the ad orientem posture. Late last month, the Archdiocese of Chicago also announced that priests could not offer Mass in the ad orientem posture without permission.

Continued below.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
A Pillar Explainer

U.S. dioceses in recent weeks have seen new liturgical policies introduced in response to Pope Francis’ motu proprio Traditiones custodes.

But while the pope’s new laws pertain to the Extraordinary Form of the Mass, some dioceses have also announced new policies pertaining to the Ordinary Form, and especially to the ad orientem liturgical posture.

The Diocese of Venice, Florida, announced Tuesday that priests are required to obtain permission from the diocesan bishop or vicar general before offering Mass in the ad orientem posture. Late last month, the Archdiocese of Chicago also announced that priests could not offer Mass in the ad orientem posture without permission.

Continued below.
Most of the bishops who have addressed this in the negative have been careful to not outright forbid it but to say the priests need to ask permission. So what I think I will do is ask my priest for ad orientem and see if he will ask his bishop. If nobody asks then everybody presumes there is no desire for it. And we get discouraged even more. If a bishop had to handle requests frequently, even if he denies them all, he might sense that something is up.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most of the bishops who have addressed this in the negative have been careful to not outright forbid it but to say the priests need to ask permission. So what I think I will do is ask my priest for ad orientem and see if he will ask his bishop. If nobody asks then everybody presumes there is no desire for it. And we get discouraged even more. If a bishop had to handle requests frequently, even if he denies them all, he might sense that something is up.
Great suggestion Chevy.

Upvote 0