1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Backs to the wall: Can bishops ban 'ad orientem'?

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Michie

Michie Standing by the Ukraine. Supporter

+47,573
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    A Pillar Explainer

U.S. dioceses in recent weeks have seen new liturgical policies introduced in response to Pope Francis’ motu proprio Traditiones custodes.

But while the pope’s new laws pertain to the Extraordinary Form of the Mass, some dioceses have also announced new policies pertaining to the Ordinary Form, and especially to the ad orientem liturgical posture.

The Diocese of Venice, Florida, announced Tuesday that priests are required to obtain permission from the diocesan bishop or vicar general before offering Mass in the ad orientem posture. Late last month, the Archdiocese of Chicago also announced that priests could not offer Mass in the ad orientem posture without permission.

Continued below.
    Backs to the wall: Can bishops ban 'ad orientem'?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Lady Bug

Lady Bug Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,815
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    This would pizz me off. My current parish does ad orientem and it's one of the defining features of their worship.

3. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+12,906
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Most of the bishops who have addressed this in the negative have been careful to not outright forbid it but to say the priests need to ask permission. So what I think I will do is ask my priest for ad orientem and see if he will ask his bishop. If nobody asks then everybody presumes there is no desire for it. And we get discouraged even more. If a bishop had to handle requests frequently, even if he denies them all, he might sense that something is up.

4. Michie

Michie Standing by the Ukraine. Supporter

+47,573
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Great suggestion Chevy.