Back in the days.... (an old geezer thread)

Jun 18, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
✟65,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I miss the card catalog....that is how I used to find cool books on topics I'd never otherwise explored...

Before Google,and other search engines,we had the Dewy Decimal System.

200 Religion
201 Religious mythology & social theology
202 Doctrines
203 Public worship & other practices
204 Religious experience, life & practice
205 Religious ethics
206 Leaders & organization
207 Missions & religious education
208 Sources
209 Sects & reform movements
210 Philosophy & theory of religion
211 Concepts of God
212 Existence, knowability & attributes of God
213 Creation
214 Theodicy
215 Science & religion
216 [Unassigned]
217 [Unassigned]
218 Humankind
219 [Unassigned]
220 Bible
221 Old Testament (Tanakh)
222 Historical books of Old Testament
223 Poetic books of Old Testament
224 Prophetic books of Old Testament
225 New Testament
226 Gospels & Acts

Upvote 0

Church2u2

Aug 9, 2016
Georgia
✟15,503.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Back in the day cell phones were huge! I remember that all the "cool" guys had beepers hooked to their belt loops and wore jheri curls or the mullet and then high top fades and long flowing hair like the guys in Bon Jovi.We had boom boxes and Atari instead of smart phones and whatever gaming system available to kids these days. The girls had pouffy hair and wore thick black eyebrows like Madonna or box braids like Janet Jackson in Poetic Justice.

Upvote 0

TheresaC.

May 26, 2016
europe
✟18,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Back in the old days I remember no flat TV and a lot of problem with reception, spending a lot of time moving the antenna. The same with the radio and the channels wheel. Tape cassette, walkman and VHS.
No A/C in the home. No gas hot water heater but electric one that would last few time.
Cars without seat belts or airbag.
Shoulder pads that seem ridiculous today. Period pads for girls were very wide, long and tremendously thick, almost a diaper to wear with plastic protective underwear. In everyday life women didn't wear miniskirt, leotard, skinny pants or so tight t-shirt.
Mobile phones did exist but they were not common, when you were alone out of home you were really alone. I remember some home phone with the number wheel, half an hour to compose a call. Public phones with coins. Parents telling you infinite times to stop the calling with your friends.
Spanking were not an issue, widespread, even for teens, and there were much fewer bullies and brats (young and adult).
Then no PC and internet, so no social media, there were very big book to find phone numbers or shops. No GPS so if you got lost in the city you was lost. If a friend left you had very few contacts, only phone calling if you could catch him/her on the right time or just postal letters. And on vacation you sent postcard.

Many things were harder than today, many others more simple, poor or inefficient. Anyway I feel everything was more "true".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I had a hand-me-down tv in college that had a remote...that was based on sound. It clicked when you pushed it and the clicks forwarded the channel changer on the tv. It was expensive and fancy when it was new. However, we discovered the channels changed if you opened a pop-top can anywhere near the tv ... and then were force to go through all the channels to get back to the original one. Luckily, that only meant 9 stations.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I don't think I ever heard of that style of remote. Can I assume that was like one model for one year?

no idea...it was a hand me down and we loved to mess with each other by opening our soda cans near the tv at a critical moment once we figure it out....

• Haha
Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think I ever heard of that style of remote. Can I assume that was like one model for one year?

That was the first cordless remote, using sound. Before that remotes actually were corded and had very long cords lol
Of course, children were the original remotes.

• Agree
Reactions: James of Arc
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,744.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
That was the first cordless remote, using sound. Before that remotes actually were corded and had very long cords lol
Of course, children were the original remotes.

If I recall correctly some old sets had dial not unlike those on stoves that have a raised part. I'm betting some cleaver person cut a grove in a broom handle as the grandfather of real remotes.

Upvote 0

James of Arc

Venomous Turtle
Site Supporter
Apr 4, 2016
✟30,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Marathon-Bar.jpg

I remember as a kid of about 10 or so and I could go to the store with 26 cents and get a Marathon candy bar. The candy bar was only 25 cents but tax was 1 cents but I could buy two 10 cent candies and only pay 20 cents because nothing was taxed until it hit 25 cents so I guess city tax was 4 cent on the dollar.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I remember our first car - a black 1949 Ford which was hot in the summer and cold in the winter and had prickly upholstery. Of course there were no seat belts and the kids were never put into car seats. It is a miracle we survived.
No miracle- those cars were safer than all of today's cars. The regulations were for power, control, and money - not safety nor anyones welfare. Remember where SCRIPTURE says we (society) is headed. It is , and will be, the hardest time in history to live true (as someone noted decades ago 'seemed' more true.... it was in many ways, and this has been just past the beginning of birth pangs... this year and the last 2 years have been very notably far worse and getting worse than previous years in all areas of life [medical, insurance, licensing, politic, society, religious, economic, etc etc etc).

Upvote 0