Country
Australia
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
When I was a Christian I could never do anything for myself, I never wanted to leave Jesus but! I was dragged away by my need to survive, otherwise I'd probably kill myself. No amount of believing changed me.

I couldn't work, couldn't shower, brush my teeth, go out, I was afraid of hell, food poisoning and everybody. I prayed and read the bible, tried to go to church, listened to Christian authorities and tried to stop all my sinfulness.

But none of that made a difference. So like I said I walked away from the whole of Christianity, then slowly things changed. Seeing these changes I walked further and further away from my old beliefs, and I became the person you know now.

Should I stick with myself, or return to Jesus?

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When I was a Christian I could never do anything for myself, I never wanted to leave Jesus but! I was dragged away by my need to survive, otherwise I'd probably kill myself. No amount of believing changed me.

I couldn't work, couldn't shower, brush my teeth, go out, I was afraid of hell, food poisoning and everybody. I prayed and read the bible, tried to go to church, listened to Christian authorities and tried to stop all my sinfulness.

But none of that made a difference. So like I said I walked away from the whole of Christianity, then slowly things changed. Seeing these changes I walked further and further away from my old beliefs, and I became the person you know now.

Should I stick with myself, or return to Jesus?
What is drawing you toward Jesus? Matthew 13:45-46 came to mind.

Upvote 0

YesMe

Aug 18, 2016
Earth
✟29,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All your problems were not an effect of having faith in God.

Reading the bible could be the best clue in your path of understanding that people with faith suffered the most, take Jesus as example, just take only Him as example, and you will understand.

I have many problems, I suffer more than I can say ( I am not complaining here ), but I still have faith in God.

Upvote 0

chriscomplex

Apr 24, 2017
Brisbane
✟16,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
All your problems were not an effect of having faith in God.

Reading the bible could be the best clue in your path of understanding that people with faith suffered the most, take Jesus as example, just take only Him as example, and you will understand.

I have many problems, I suffer more than I can say ( I am not complaining here ), but I still have faith in God.
I suffer far less now than I did when I believed.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I suffer far less now than I did when I believed.
I don't think you understood properly. When you do, there is no fear. You have assurance, unless you are willfully sinning. However, when in awe at God and trust Him completely you no longer desire to sin. Not when naturally sowing spiritual seeds. He leads you Faith you just walk it and it deepens. Maybe you weren't quite following Him but you own understanding of Him.

Proverbs 3:5-6

• Agree
Reactions: ElsieBA
Upvote 0

chriscomplex

Apr 24, 2017
Brisbane
✟16,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I don't think you understood properly. When you do, there is no fear. You have assurance, unless you are willfully sinning. However, when in awe at God and trust Him completely you no longer desire to sin. Not when naturally sowing spiritual seeds. He leads you Faith you just walk it and it deepens. Maybe you weren't quite following Him but you own understanding of Him.

Proverbs 3:5-6
Well I'll agree with you here, for many Christians there's no fear. But, that just maybe due to the fact that God won't hurt them anymore because they believe in him.

But on a different note:

Fear is a chemical reaction found in the brain. Science has proven this, why don't you have a look at what they say about fear and why we have it.

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I 'fear' God. Not in the worldly sense as I am His child and rely on Him to protect (spritually) me. Romans 8:31-39 I have a reverent awe kind of fear. Which isn't scary.

I am not scared of Hell as my home is in Heaven with my Father. I fear for those souls facing the judgement and pray for those.

I am not scared to sin. Jesus died to release me of that. I do not want to sin and lose the comfort and peace of being right with God. It is more I want to obey His ways and I can only do that through the Holy Spirit and in His strength. Romans 8:1-4

Here is a list of bible verses on fear. I hope they help you distinguish between unnecessary fear, reverent fear and the Hope we have in Christ. Maybe you need to confront these and understand them in order to Trust and walk with Him. 40 Bible Verses About Fear - Encouraging Scripture Quotes

Upvote 0

chriscomplex

Apr 24, 2017
Brisbane
✟16,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
I 'fear' God. Not in the worldly sense as I am His child and rely on Him to protect (spritually) me. Romans 8:31-39 I have a reverent awe kind of fear. Which isn't scary.

I am not scared of Hell as my home is in Heaven with my Father. I fear for those souls facing the judgement and pray for those.

I am not scared to sin. Jesus died to release me of that. I do not want to sin and lose the comfort and peace of being right with God. It is more I want to obey His ways and I can only do that through the Holy Spirit and in His strength. Romans 8:1-4

Here is a list of bible verses on fear. I hope they help you distinguish between unnecessary fear, reverent fear and the Hope we have in Christ. Maybe you need to confront these and understand them in order to Trust and walk with Him. 40 Bible Verses About Fear - Encouraging Scripture Quotes
I don't have problems with fear like I used to, and I don't need bible verses to calm my mind when I do fear something. I just listen to my fear and turn away from the thing that's causing me fear.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well I'll agree with you here, for many Christians there's no fear. But, that just maybe due to the fact that God won't hurt them anymore because they believe in him.

But on a different note:

Fear is a chemical reaction found in the brain. Science has proven this, why don't you have a look at what they say about fear and why we have it.

Fear (the chemical imbalance) is a God given gift. It lets us know when there is danger. As a Christian though we are told not to fear. Philippians 4:6-8 Matthew 6

It is a warning to let us know to act or avoid. When walking with God we can leave all consequences in His hands knowing that if anything happens, good or bad, He can work it in to good and for His purpose for those who love Him... also Romans 8... I now strongly feel that a deep understanding of Romans 8 will help you immensely.

The initial 'fear' response is ok. That is tge warning signal the Lord gave us. However we are commanded to not live in fear, worry and anxiety. There is immense freedom in handing it over and submitting to the Lord and His will. I have found that it is in obedience that I have the greatest freedom.

God bless you brother, I hope and pray that you can get over this stumbling block and live and walk in the Lord's peace and comfort.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't have problems with fear like I used to, and I don't need bible verses to calm my mind when I do fear something. I just listen to my fear and turn away from the thing that's causing me fear.

Why should one listen to a chemical reaction in the brain?

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Because you might get yourself in serious danger if you don't.
This life on earth is a blink of an eye in regards to eternity. Remember that when making your decisions. We also don't have it taken for granted that we will have a tomorrow, next week or another year.

• Agree
Reactions: ElsieBA
Upvote 0

chriscomplex

Apr 24, 2017
Brisbane
✟16,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Fear (the chemical imbalance) is a God given gift. It lets us know when there is danger. As a Christian though we are told not to fear. Philippians 4:6-8 Matthew 6

It is a warning to let us know to act or avoid. When walking with God we can leave all consequences in His hands knowing that if anything happens, good or bad, He can work it in to good and for His purpose for those who love Him... also Romans 8... I now strongly feel that a deep understanding of Romans 8 will help you immensely.

The initial 'fear' response is ok. That is tge warning signal the Lord gave us. However we are commanded to not live in fear, worry and anxiety. There is immense freedom in handing it over and submitting to the Lord and His will. I have found that it is in obedience that I have the greatest freedom.

God bless you brother, I hope and pray that you can get over this stumbling block and live and walk in the Lord's peace and comfort.
Ok lets leave it at that.

• Agree
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chriscomplex

Apr 24, 2017
Brisbane
✟16,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
This life on earth is a blink of an eye in regards to eternity. Remember that when making your decisions. We also don't have it taken for granted that we will have a tomorrow, next week or another year.
That's OK, my heart is ready.

Upvote 0

chriscomplex

Apr 24, 2017
Brisbane
✟16,518.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Fonzarelli's advice to Ralph Malph on Happy Days?
"what ever you do Ralph, don't be yourself"
Oh I get it, but their all fun characters aren't they. Didn't they rip on Ralph all the time, lot's of TV shows have someone as the comic relief.

I guess Betty White showed them all.

• Haha
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0