United States
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Fox 13 Source
BATON ROUGE - The coronavirus pandemic claimed its youngest victim yet in Louisiana on Monday — a baby born prematurely after her mother contracted the disease and was put on a ventilator.

“The baby, because of the extreme prematurity did not survive,” said East Baton Rouge Parish Coroner Beau Clark, who blamed the mother’s COVID-19 disease for putting her into labor.

The girl survived only one day, and the coroner said both he and Louisiana’s state epidemiologist agreed that she belongs in the state’s coronavirus death toll.

Whether the baby had COVID-19 remains under investigation, but Clark said her death is clearly linked to the virus.

If not for her mother’s infection, Clark said, “Likely she would have not gone into preterm labor and there would have been a different outcome. This is an incredibly sad case.”

Clark said the mother was admitted to a hospital on April 1 and remains alive. He provided no details about her condition, and no identifying information. This premature baby wasn’t the first U.S. newborn to die in similar circumstances, he added.

Even more reason to be careful, because the unborn are potentially being infected or lost when their mothers get sick with this disease. I've heard everyone should act as if they have the virus and cover their faces accordingly in public. That's probably wise until there is a vaccine or treatment.

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
our government told pregnant women to abort their kids

This seems a bit over the top. The child in the story was premature. That's mind blowing to me that a government would recommend something like that for EVERY instance.

Upvote 0

Kessa

I'd rather be a mermaid
Apr 1, 2020
Savannah, Georgia
✟9,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Abortion isn't the answer. That escalates the baby's situation from risky to 100% fatal. What is needed is more stringent measures to protect pregnant women and their family members who share the home. Babies are not at risk if the mother can avoid catching the disease. Hopefully all expectant mothers will be sheltering in place and getting necessary food and medicine delivered.

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2019
inverness
✟74,329.71
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This seems a bit over the top. The child in the story was premature. That's mind blowing to me that a government would recommend something like that for EVERY instance.
yeah i agree i hate abortions but yh they want all pregnant women in the world to do it

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even more reason to be careful, because the unborn are potentially being infected or lost when their mothers get sick with this disease. I've heard everyone should act as if they have the virus and cover their faces accordingly in public. That's probably wise until there is a vaccine or treatment.
There is no evidence the mother passes the virus to the baby. In fact in China they followed 9 women with COVID and the babies all were brought to birth and showed no signs of the virus.

This is just the abortion lobby wanting to kill more babies to get revenue.

We already heard of a case in CT where the governor reported the first infant mortality. Then when pressed they referred the press to the medical examiner whose report will take weeks to file. There was information even though the infant had tested for COVID19 after death, it was inclusive of the cause of death.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Provide a citation.
Lol. None needed. The abortion mills are open for business during a pandemic where PPE is rationed and medical personnel are needed to help assist COVID19 patients.

Yet the doors are open for non medical emergent abortions.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lol. None needed. The abortion mills are open for business during a pandemic where PPE is rationed and medical personnel are needed to help assist COVID19 patients.

To the contrary, the poster is implying the British government instructed pregnant women to get abortions. As you noted, there is no evidence to date that babies are vulnerable. There's no basis for the government to make such a statement. The poster needs to back up his statement or remove it.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,333.00
Faith
Atheist

Absolutely a citation is needed. Or, clarification. It's seems the poster was alleging that the UK gov't is actively encouraging abortions as a partial solution to Covid-19. If that's not what was meant, I want clarification. If it was, I don't believe it--citation needed.

ETA: Or, what @wing2000 said. (See, I wasn't the only one that took it that way.)

Upvote 0

Kessa

I'd rather be a mermaid
Apr 1, 2020
Savannah, Georgia
✟9,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
There is no evidence the mother passes the virus to the baby. In fact in China they followed 9 women with COVID and the babies all were brought to birth and showed no signs of the virus.

This is just the abortion lobby wanting to kill more babies to get revenue.

We already heard of a case in CT where the governor reported the first infant mortality. Then when pressed they referred the press to the medical examiner whose report will take weeks to file. There was information even though the infant had tested for COVID19 after death, it was inclusive of the cause of death.

In this case, they are unsure whether the baby actually caught the coronavirus from the COVID19-positive mother, or whether her illness triggered premature labor which resulted in death. However there have been stories of infants catching the disease. It isn't clear whether it was passed on in the womb or caught from being exposed to a sick patient, like the mother, but there are cases of infants catching and dying of the disease:

Source: BBC News
A Chinese newborn has been diagnosed with the new coronavirus just 30 hours after birth, the youngest case recorded so far, state media said.

The baby was born on 2 February in Wuhan, the epicentre of the virus.

The baby's mother tested positive before she gave birth. It is unclear how the disease was transmitted - in the womb, or after birth.

and

Source: Fox News
An infant in Chicago died Saturday after testing positive for COVID-19– becoming the youngest person in Illinois to die after contracting the novel coronavirus.

Gov. J.B. Pritzker announced the child’s death during a press conference Saturday. An investigation is being conducted to determine the exact cause of death and determine whether the infant had any underlying health conditions, the governor said.

“I know how difficult this news can be, especially about this very young child,” the governor said at his daily news conference Saturday, according to the Chicago Tribune. “Upon hearing it, I admit that I was immediately shaken. It’s appropriate for any of us to grieve today."

He continued: "It’s especially sorrowful for the family of this very small child for the years stolen from this infant. We should grieve. We should grieve for a sense of normalcy we left behind just a few short weeks ago."

Obviously, abortion isn't the answer here. Just because there is some risk from the disease doesn't mean babies shouldn't be given a chance to live. Most studies on cases of infants coming from Wuhan say children typically get milder infections and almost all survive. There is no chance of survival if an abortion is performed. I think we just need to make sure more people are aware that tiny babies and young children are at risk, too, and everyone needs to be mindful not to expose pregnant women to the disease.

Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think we just need to make sure more people are aware that tiny babies and young children are at risk, too, and everyone needs to be mindful not to expose pregnant women to the disease.

Agreed. That's why I wear a homemade mask when going out into public areas - to protect others. Women's immunity is also reduced while pregnant, though from the articles I have read, there's no findings yet that pregnant women are more susceptible to the virus. And thankfully, the occurrence of infant death is rare, but does happen as you noted. In any case, I feel sorry for expectant mothers who are delivering babies in hospitals during a pandemic. It must be very stressful.

Upvote 0