Louisiana
✟58,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do babies and young children who don't understand and are unable to grasp 'faith' go to heaven?
What about stillborn or aborted babies?
Heaven or hell?

Brother, all I can give you is scripture.

When King David's baby was deathly sick, King David grieved and wouldn't eat and he lay on the ground praying and even his elders tried to pull him up and make him eat something but he refused. When the baby died, he got up - bathed and ate - and went to worship.

His servants questioned that. King David said - "When my child was sick, I fasted and cried thinking God would take pity on my and heal him. When he died, why should I fast? He will not come back to me, but I will go to him someday."

• Informative
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do babies and young children who don't understand and are unable to grasp 'faith' go to heaven?
Heaven or hell?

Matthew 19:14

But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.

Romans 5:13
For sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law. (ie stillborn or aborted not under any law)

They will be in heaven.

Upvote 0

Melody Suttles

SingPeace
Supporter
Sep 22, 2018
Atlanta
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Mark 10:14-16

“Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” 16And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them.

Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heaven or hell?

Anyone who has does not have the capacity to understand and reject Christ will go to heaven.

David knew that he would go to heaven and see his son one day but knew his son would not come back to him on the earth.
2 Samuel 12
21 His attendants asked him, “Why are you acting this way? While the child was alive, you fasted and wept, but now that the child is dead, you get up and eat!”

22 He answered, “While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept. I thought, ‘Who knows? The Lord may be gracious to me and let the child live.’ 23 But now that he is dead, why should I go on fasting? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me.”

Mark 10:14-16
But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, “Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.” And he took them in his arms and blessed them, laying his hands on them.

Matthew 18:10
“See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven.

Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Heaven or hell?
There's no consensus on the matter, there are Christians who are led to believe by some Scriptures that they do, and others who are led to believe by other Scriptures that they do not. My belief leans toward their going to Heaven if they are small enough. I don't know how small that is, though.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟745,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The early Christians seemed to take the innocence of children as a given. An account of the philosopher Aristides ( who later became Christian, St. Aristides) ( 125 A.D.) in his surveillance accounts to the Emperor Hadrian,

And when a child has been born to one of them, they give thanks to God; and if moreover it happen to die in childhood, they give thanks to God the more, as for one who has passed through the world without sins. And

The Apology of Aristides the Philosopher

The above quote is from chapter 15 (XV), the whole letter is only about 12 printed pages.

• Informative
Reactions: lightninboy
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟733,159.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heaven or hell?
It is my belief that God will never send an innocent person to hell. Especially children. I do know of people that have had NDE's that saw children in heaven. But they consistently say they saw no children in hell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lightninboy

Jan 11, 2005
Twin Brooks, South Dakota
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
The typical answer (unless you're a denominationalist who believes in infant baptismal regeneration or predestination of infants or such) is that you're 99% sure that they go to heaven and thus there is a chance they go to hell. My official position is that the age of accountability is conception and they go to hell. I'm open to the "they go to heaven" argument, but the way I see it I was exposed to the fire and brimstone gospel message as a young child that I was headed for hell and now you want to tell me that I wasn't really headed for hell after all?

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The typical answer (unless you're a denominationalist who believes in infant baptismal regeneration or predestination of infants or such) is that you're 99% sure that they go to heaven and thus there is a chance they go to hell. My official position is that the age of accountability is conception and they go to hell. I'm open to the "they go to heaven" argument, but the way I see it I was exposed to the fire and brimstone gospel message as a young child that I was headed for hell and now you want to tell me that I wasn't really headed for hell after all?

So David was going to hell to be with his son?

2 Samuel 12:23
But now that he is dead, why should I go on fasting? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me."

Upvote 0

lightninboy

Jan 11, 2005
Twin Brooks, South Dakota
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I believe all babys and children go to heaven as they are innocent.
When do children start going to hell because they are not innocent?

So David was going to hell to be with his son?

2 Samuel 12:23
But now that he is dead, why should I go on fasting? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me."
"Could have been referring to the grave and not to heaven" goes an argument I have read.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When do children start going to hell because they are not innocent?

"Could have been referring to the grave and not to heaven" goes an argument I have read.

Only God knows the point of accountability for each person.

Don't think you will have a hang out together in a grave.

It would be completely out of God's character to send innocents to hell after he said "Let the little children come to me for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these"

• Friendly
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Heaven or hell?

In simplest terms, we don't know and can't say.

The traditional and historic Christian view:

A baptized child is a Christian, and therefore the promises of God which He has attached to Baptism apply just as much to a baptized infant as a baptized adult since there is no difference--baptism is baptism.

It isn't the Church's business to say who is and isn't saved, we can only speak affirmatively in regard to what God Himself has said and promised; beyond that we can't say because we don't know.

It's important here that when I say we can't say because we don't know, that this isn't said in a callous way. As though we don't know and thus we don't care. It's not about apathy, it's about not allowing us to engage in wild speculation, or to presume to speak for God when we have no right to do so. Because we should very much care, we should very much be a people of hope. And I think that hope, the hope of the Church, is that yes--infants, young children, those who died stillborn, etc--will have their place with God in the Age to Come. Even as it is the hope of the Church down through history that all will be saved. That damnation is not something God does to "those people", but rather damnation is something we do to ourselves.

It is my prayer and hope that, when all is said and done, hell is empty and all are at Christ's side in the end. But, I can't know that, I can't know one way or the other what will be.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟111,917.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
A baptized child is a Christian,
What is a Christian workout faith? What is baptism without faith?
If we are saved by faith alone, and we are born already sinful in nature, then how can these babies be saved.
It's not that the Bible doesn't say... it does say... we are saved by faith and we are born sinful and in need of being saved...

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What is a Christian workout faith? What is baptism without faith?

Baptized infants have faith. Faith is a gift that comes from outside of ourselves, as a gift of God. God creates faith in us. Ephesians 2:8 says that faith is not of ourselves, but the gift of God.

This isn't generic faith here, this is a specific kind of faith--faith or trust in Jesus Christ. We can see an analogy of this faith in the newborn infant that rests calmly in the arms of her mother--trusting in the love and care of her mother. In the same way, the Christian rests in faith in Christ.

If we are saved by faith alone, and we are born already sinful in nature, then how can these babies be saved.

The same way adults are--by grace alone through faith.

It's not that the Bible doesn't say... it does say... we are saved by faith and we are born sinful and in need of being saved...

Yes, but what the Bible doesn't say is what God's judgment is going to be for each possible individual person.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0