Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Church 'terminated' in same-sex battle
B.C. congregation defied bishop, would not marry gays

Michael Higgins
National Post

Tuesday, December 23, 2003
Michael Ingham, Bishop of New Westminster Diocese, approved the closure of Holy Cross church after it refused to submit to his authority.
CREDIT: Bill Keay, CanWest News Service

An Anglican church defying its bishop by refusing to support same-sex unions has been "terminated" only days before Christmas.

The decision by Bishop Michael Ingham to close Holy Cross in Abbotsford, B.C., is the latest action in a dispute that is threatening to split the Anglican church worldwide.

Despite the closure, the priest at Holy Cross, the Rev. James Wagner, vowed yesterday to celebrate mass on Christmas Day with parishioners.

"As far as the diocese is concerned we do not exist. We are a non-entity," Mr. Wagner said yesterday. "But I will not abandon these people. I will continue to pastor and pray for them in the midst of this crisis."

He said the decision by Bishop Ingham to close the church was a surprise because "it's so close to Christmas."

Ronald Harrison, executive archdeacon of the Diocese of New Westminster, said Holy Cross brought the closure upon itself by seeking episcopal oversight from another bishop. He said that a result of the church declaring itself "independent" was that its funds had been stopped and eventually the bishop was forced to close it.

The decision by Bishop Ingham to sanction same-sex unions, and the broader issue of homosexuality, has caused a deep division in the Anglican church. In October, Anglican leaders met at a crisis conference in London called in part because of Bishop Ingham's approval of same-sex unions.

The Canadian House of Bishops has also set up a task force to look at parishes opposed to Bishop Ingham's decision.

Holy Cross, a mission church that relies on its funding from the diocese, is part of a group of breakaway churches in New Westminster that was seeking episcopal oversight by Bishop Terry Buckle of the Yukon.

In October, the Diocesan Council of New Westminster voted to close Holy Cross but needed Bishop Ingham's approval. However, funding was withdrawn from the church.

In a letter dated Dec. 18, Bishop Ingham informed Mr. Wagner that he had decided to close the church.

Mr. Wagner said he told parishioners the news on Sunday.

"They were shocked and surprised that it would come at this time. When they got the news, it was four days before Christmas."

None of the other churches in the breakaway group have been closed. Because they are incorporated individually, and don't rely on funding from the diocese, they have been able to carry on.

Mr. Wagner said the church was being ostracized within the diocese although it was still aligned with Anglican-thinking worldwide.

"Substantially we are right in step with Anglicans throughout the world and that has great consolation for them [the parishioners] because they very much want to be Anglicans. They are not doing things rebelliously and very much want to be a part of the family of Anglicans throughout the world."

The termination of the church meant they were, "like sheep without a shepherd," he said.

He said although they would celebrate Mass on Christmas Day, they would not be recognized as Anglicans.

"It's not just that the Diocese of New Westminster will not recognize us as Anglicans, the really sad thing is that unofficially there are many Anglicans who want to recognize us, but officially there is no one that will recognize us as such."

Mr. Wagner had already had his pay cut off by the diocese and now needed to consult with his lawyer to see what his position is.

"I don't regret what I am doing or the circumstances I find myself in. I think that Jesus often talked about his disciples having to count the cost and having to take up their cross," he said.

He called on the Canadian House of Bishops and primates internationally for clear leadership.

Mr. Wagner said they had already been in discussion with the House of Bishops' task force.

The task force was set up to establish, "adequate provision for Episcopal oversight of dissenting minorities."

It followed a call from Dr. Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury, who warned the church was in danger of splintering over the issue of homosexuality.

After the task force was set up, Bishop Ingham wrote to Holy Cross offering to restore their funding if they accepted his authority.

Mr. Harrison said the bishop had never had a satisfactory reply except from Mr. Wagner to say that he was consulting his lawyer.

"We support and fund all kinds of things, including mission initiatives, but if they have openly declared their hostility to the diocese and the diocesan bishop and will not rescind that even when the bishop has stepped back from the plate, the question is: 'Why would we fund that?'

"The decision was made months ago and the bishop withheld his decision while he waited for the parish to respond favourably. They didn't correspond with him. It has nothing to do with Christmas. We have been waiting for their response for some time."
© National Post 2003

http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=40504029-ab5b-4d11-a979-4f61d537fe9c

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Huh.

A group insists on going into schism rather than remaining in dialogue because they are convinced that their bishops have gone astray from the faith, and an Orthodox woman believes that they are the ones in need of prayer. May I respectfully suggest that (a) everyone, on both sides of the disagreement, need prayer, me most especially, and (b) the stance you outline is contrary to Orthodox principles in one sense though in keeping with them in another.

Minor bit of vocabulary, too: "episcopal" with a small E means of or pertaining to bishops, or of a church which has bishops in governance. In this sense, the Lutheran, Roman Catholic, and Orthodox churches are episcopal. But with a capital E it refers specifically to two churches -- those in communion with the See of Canterbury in the United States of America and in Scotland. The other churches in communion with Canterbury describe themselves as Anglican, including the Anglican Church of Canada. To refer to the Bishop of New Westminster as "an Episcopal Bishop" is a solecism on a par with referring to all you folks who post in the Ancient Way as "Greek Orthodox."

Upvote 0

EdmundBlackadderTheThird

Proud member of the Loud Few
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would say that a church that is willing to be cut off from their funding and even closed because their parent organization is teaching things that are obviously against the scriptures is in the right and has done the only right thing that they can do. If their parent organization insists that they teach false doctrine then they must refuse and if that refusal results in a schism then it is the fault of the corrupt parent organization and not the fault of the single church that stood up for what is right and scriptural!

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
flesh99 said:
I would say that a church that is willing to be cut off from their funding and even closed because their parent organization is teaching things that are obviously against the scriptures is in the right and has done the only right thing that they can do. If their parent organization insists that they teach false doctrine then they must refuse and if that refusal results in a schism then it is the fault of the corrupt parent organization and not the fault of the single church that stood up for what is right and scriptural!
Believe me, I do understand your point.

But by the same token, would you say that a church that believes that its parent organization's attitude of condemning unrepentant homosexuals goes against God's Law as stated by Christ is actually in the right?

It seems to all depend on what you take as "Scriptural" and what you understand as "false doctrine" based on misreading of Scripture.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
chanter said:
http://www.americananglican.org/

What is this group? Is it a more traditionalistic Episcopalian group?

Perhaps this is the group to watch?

Let's pray for those in the Anglican and Episcopal Church that they may be saved.

Dear Polycarp,

I amended my post as this is what I meant to say. I do pray for the salvation of all. However, not all choose to be saved unfortunately.

P.S. I'll try to be more careful in my use of pronouns.

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
chanter said:
http://www.americananglican.org/

What is this group? Is it a more traditionalistic Episcopalian group?

Perhaps this is the group to watch?

Let's pray for those in the Anglican and Episcopal Church that they may be saved.

chanter - this group comprises the conservative parishes which do not approve the election of Robinson as Bishop of New Hampshire. Perhaps there might be a way for a Canadian church to affiliate as the name is American, as in North American. My experience is that the churches thus affiliated tend to be the spirit-led born-again types. I've attended 5 different episcopal and anglican churches. All but one were affiliated with AAC and as a quasi-pentacostal I loved the worship!

My church in Mass. as well as the Central Florida diocese have affiliated with them. I approve all their actions! This issue may split the church, but the liberal 2/3rds knew that before the vote. If schism is the result, it will be on the heads of both groups!

Upvote 0

EdmundBlackadderTheThird

Proud member of the Loud Few
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My church in Mass. as well as the Central Florida diocese have affiliated with them. I approve all their actions! This issue may split the church, but the liberal 2/3rds knew that before the vote. If schism is the result, it will be on the heads of both groups!

Well I do not think it would be on the heads of both groups, only the group forcing false teachings to be accepted.

But by the same token, would you say that a church that believes that its parent organization's attitude of condemning unrepentant homosexuals goes against God's Law as stated by Christ is actually in the right?

Your question is a bit obtuse, can you please elaborate so that I do not answer something you have not asked?

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
newlamb said:
chanter - this group comprises the conservative parishes which do not approve the election of Robinson as Bishop of New Hampshire. Perhaps there might be a way for a Canadian church to affiliate as the name is American, as in North American. My experience is that the churches thus affiliated tend to be the spirit-led born-again types. I've attended 5 different episcopal and anglican churches. All but one were affiliated with AAC and as a quasi-pentacostal I loved the worship!

Newly edited:

Thanks for the information.

St Paul said that we are to correct one another in love (cf. Corinthians). Sometimes tough love is needed and those in error need to be excommunicated. Or sometimes when the majority of the church is in error (as during the time of the Arian heresy in the 4th century) the laity need to correct the hierarchy. Saint Athanasius (a Bishop in the early church) was very alone in standing up against the heterodox of his times. It was the devout laity and his teachings which finally won the day and the Arian heresy was put to rest. Or was it? Do people truly believe that Christ is the Incarnate God in the flesh? Is Christmas just a meal or is it the belief that the Savior God was born in the flesh - God with us?

If Christ is truly God, then shouldn't we be a Holy People of God? Are we?

May we be blessed with men of St. Athanasius's calibre today.

Prayerfully yours in Christ our God,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Andre said:
I support that churche's action 100%.
That exemple should be followed by many.

I guess we all have to be careful in our use of pronouns and descriptive adjectives. Mea culpa. Please tell me, Andre -- what do you mean by "that church" and "that example" -- which church and what example?

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Upvote 0

Cary.Melvin

Roman Orthodox
Sep 3, 2003
Ocala, FL
✟1,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
chanter said:
The decision by Bishop Ingham to sanction same-sex unions, and the broader issue of homosexuality, has caused a deep division in the Anglican church. In October, Anglican leaders met at a crisis conference in London called in part because of Bishop Ingham's approval of same-sex unions.

It followed a call from Dr. Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury, who warned the church was in danger of splintering over the issue of homosexuality.
If I were the Archbishop of Canterbury, I would have had this Bishop striped of his position for spreading heretical beliefs. What is he waiting for? The total colapse of the Anglican Church? I think its about time he excersised some authority to nip this problem in the bud.

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
chanter, thanks for your courtesy. I'll try to be worthy of the kindness you have shown me. newlamb, I appreciate your placing the clarification of who the Anglican group is on the board. Actually there are several groups: the "American Anglican Council" (AAC) is a large group of conservative Episcopalians who have not schismed but are working for the reform of the church to what they believe to be Biblically and morally correct. The "Anglican Mission in America" (AMIA) is a fairly small schismatic group that split in 1977 (or thereabouts) over the adoption of the new Prayer Book and the ordination of women as priests. And there are other smaller groups that meet the last description as well -- most of them led by folks who refused to work together, and so split off from the AMIA.

To anwwer cary.melvin's question, the Anglican Church of Canada and the Episcopal Church in the US are autocephalic churches, over whom the Archbishop of Canterbury has no authority save moral leadership. I'd ask chanter or Oblio's help in explaining this, but it's much as though the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople were to speak out on what the Orthodox Church in America or the Antiochan Exarchate chose to do here in the US -- they'd listen respectfully, but they and they alone will decide what is the proper course to take.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Polycarp1 said:
chanter, thanks for your courtesy. I'll try to be worthy of the kindness you have shown me. newlamb, I appreciate your placing the clarification of who the Anglican group is on the board. Actually there are several groups: the "American Anglican Council" (AAC) is a large group of conservative Episcopalians who have not schismed but are working for the reform of the church to what they believe to be Biblically and morally correct. The "Anglican Mission in America" (AMIA) is a fairly small schismatic group that split in 1977 (or thereabouts) over the adoption of the new Prayer Book and the ordination of women as priests. And there are other smaller groups that meet the last description as well -- most of them led by folks who refused to work together, and so split off from the AMIA.

To anwwer cary.melvin's question, the Anglican Church of Canada and the Episcopal Church in the US are autocephalic churches, over whom the Archbishop of Canterbury has no authority save moral leadership. I'd ask chanter or Oblio's help in explaining this, but it's much as though the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople were to speak out on what the Orthodox Church in America or the Antiochan Exarchate chose to do here in the US -- they'd listen respectfully, but they and they alone will decide what is the proper course to take.

Do you remember when the Orthodox Patriarchs of Constantinople and Russia refused to honor each other at Communion during the Divine Liturgy. It caused an international scene! This is what happens when the Orthodox disagree in matters of faith and morals. By not mentioning a particular church at the celebrating of the Eucharist, it indicates that the other is not in communion (excommunicated so to speak).

How does the Anglican Church handle this?

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
Cary.Melvin said:
If I were the Archbishop of Canterbury, I would have had this Bishop striped of his position for spreading heretical beliefs. What is he waiting for? The total colapse of the Anglican Church? I think its about time he excersised some authority to nip this problem in the bud.

The previous Archbishop talked another homosexual into resigning his bishopric. this is a new Archbishop who obviously had a different agenda.

what I read in my AAC newsletter is that the Archbishop is considering separating the churches with the bishop of Pittsburgh in charge of the more conservative churches. We'll have to see.

Hi polycarp! Check out the latest news at americananglican.org

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Polycarp1

Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
chanter said:
Who is the PECUSA anyway?
Original name of the Episcopal Church: Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America. In 1784 when the name was selected though, to its founders "Protestant" meant merely "separate from the Roman Catholic Church" -- so the name meant "the church separate from the Romanists which preserves (the apostolic tradition and) the historic episcopate" and did not carry the focus that American Protestantism has given it. Accordingly, several decades back, the decision was made that, while keeping the original name for historic and legal reasons, the church would refer to itself as the Episcopal Church, with "in the USA" added where necessary for clarification.

To answer your other question, I do not believe that any member church has ever been excommunicated from the Anglican Communion. The Church of Kenya's refusal to recognize us would be the first occasion.

Upvote 0

Andre

Bondservent of Christ
Oct 25, 2003
Richmond, VA
Visit site
✟1,847.00
Faith
Baptist
chanter said:
I guess we all have to be careful in our use of pronouns and descriptive adjectives. Mea culpa. Please tell me, Andre -- what do you mean by "that church" and "that example" -- which church and what example?

Thanks,

Elizabeth
Sorry, I mean the that I support the church that didn't comply with the new changes by the Episcopal Church and refused to acept homosexual unions.

Upvote 0

JVAC

Baptized into His name
Nov 28, 2003
Fresno, CA
✟2,369.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is all pretty interesting, in the Lutheran Church, (which is in full communion currently with the Episcopal) is having trouble the other way, renegade churches marry homosexuals and are cut off from the Synod. I can only imagine next we will have cats and dogs befriending eachother.

Well, I am glad not all of the Episcopalian Church has gone to the dogs. Unfortunately another church starts living of the earth instead of on the earth. I am not sure how long the Lutherans can hold fast in this liberalizing world. We come to a dilema, how can we ban brothers and sisters in christ, yet how can we tolerate heresy??

Satan is wickedly crafty, and he has been trying to get into our churches for years. Like that hymn says, "The old satanic foe, hath sworn to work us woe." Schism isn't pretty, everyone must hate to see a Church torn apart. The Bible teaches us to above all strive to keep unity. Should we take members off the body, at the same time, "If you eye causes you to sin, cut it off..."

Such a thing can only be of the devil, there are false sons in the Churches Pale, who are they? Only through fervent faithful prayer can the true children of God be delivered from Poneros (evil, the embodiment of evil, the evil one).

This reminds me so much of a story told in the hymn, "The Church's one foundation"
The Church’s one foundation
Is Jesus Christ her Lord,
She is His new creation
By water and the Word.
From heaven He came and sought her
To be His holy bride;
With His own blood He bought her
And for her life He died.

Elect from every nation,
Yet one o’er all the earth;
Her charter of salvation,
One Lord, one faith, one birth;
One holy Name she blesses,
Partakes one holy food,
And to one hope she presses,
With every grace endued.

The Church shall never perish!
Her dear Lord to defend,
To guide, sustain, and cherish,
Is with her to the end:
Though there be those who hate her,
And false sons in her pale,
Against or foe or traitor
She ever shall prevail.

Though with a scornful wonder
Men see her sore oppressed,
By schisms rent asunder,
By heresies distressed:
Yet saints their watch are keeping,
Their cry goes up, “How long?”
And soon the night of weeping
Shall be the morn of song!

’Mid toil and tribulation,
And tumult of her war,
She waits the consummation
Of peace forevermore;
Till, with the vision glorious,
Her longing eyes are blest,
And the great Church victorious
Shall be the Church at rest.

Yet she on earth hath union
With God the Three in One,
And mystic sweet communion
With those whose rest is won,
With all her sons and daughters
Who, by the Master’s hand
Led through the deathly waters,
Repose in Eden land.

O happy ones and holy!
Lord, give us grace that we
Like them, the meek and lowly,
On high may dwell with Thee:
There, past the border mountains,
Where in sweet vales the Bride
With Thee by living fountains
Forever shall abide!
To all those churches expereincing such a trial:
"May the Lord bless you and keep you,
May the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you
May the Lord grant you his peace
In the name of the Father, and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen"

-James

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Here's some more news that another Christian sent me:

Please pray for the salvation of the Anglicans that they may be saved.

Gay.com UK
Tuesday 30 December, 2003 12:20:
More churches split from Anglicans

The impact of the first openly gay Anglican bishop is still being felt across the worldwide communion, with another Church cutting ties this week.

The Anglican Church in Zambia has announced it will cut its ties with the New Hampshire dioceses in the US, after it consecrated Gene Robinson in November.

While the move brought the Church, which has 70 million worldwide members, to the point of schism, its leader Archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams called for calm while he set up a commission looking into the Church’s stance on sexuality.

Some churches have already said they cannot wait for the results of this, and have effectively cut the Church out. These churches include those in South East Asia, some countries in Africa, including Nigeria and Uganda, and more conservative followers in the USA.

However, the Zambian Church says it will also cut its ties with Williams, because he has so far failed to enforce a rejection of Robinson.

Bishop Derek Kamukwamba said the consecration of a gay bishop is “appalling” because same sex relationships go against Biblical teachings.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.