Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Ayn Rand Institute bootstrapped its way to a PPP Loan of at least $350K.

In sign of the times, Ayn Rand Institute approved for PPP loan

(Reuters) - The institute promoting the “laissez-faire capitalism” of writer Ayn Rand, who in the novels “Atlas Shrugged” and “The Fountainhead” introduced her philosophy of “objectivism” to millions of readers, was approved for a Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loan of up to $1 million, according to data released Monday by the Trump administration.

The Ayn Rand Institute: The Center for the Advancement of Objectivism in Santa Ana, California, sought to preserve 35 jobs with the PPP funding, according to the data.

The institute advocates the Russian-American writer’s philosophy and “applies its principles to many issues and events, including ones Rand herself never discussed,” according to its website. It “focuses on areas that have a long-term multiplying impact on the direction of our culture — notably, education and policy debates,” the website says.

In a 1962 essay, Rand wrote of seventeenth century French businessmen: “They knew that government ‘help’ to business is just as disastrous as government persecution, and that the only way a government can be of service to national prosperity is by keeping its hands off.”

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Perfect opportunity to roll out this little emoji I made....

Ayn Rand emoticon.jpg

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,677.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I am sure that Ms. Rand wouldn't approve, since her politics were actually at odds with what most Republicans believe, and she definitely was against taking government money.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟294,651.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I am sure that Ms. Rand wouldn't approve, since her politics were actually at odds with what most Republicans believe, and she definitely was against taking government money.

People like that talk an awfully big game. When the chips are down they are happy to accept government enrichment.

• Agree
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
People like that talk an awfully big game. When the chips are down they are happy to accept government enrichment.

Ms. Rand actually ended up somewhat down-and-out financially as her groupies dispersed, but it's been a while since I read about her.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
She was not against taking money from the government. She did so when it benefited her.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I get that she was writing at a time when some on the far left were considering state communism as a moral improvement on American capitalism. So I do think a defense of individual liberty was especially timely then, and some of her points were pretty good. But man did she go overboard. It was the classic "equal and opposite reaction", and so equally goofy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Odd. I wonder why her book sales weren't enough to sustain her.

Because toilet paper on the roll is cheaper in the end, and just as effective.

• Haha
Reactions: Skewpoint
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums