Avila

Boohoo moomoo, cebu
Feb 6, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟2,479.00
Faith
Catholic
I'm not sure but I think it is some pentecostal/charismatic Protestant type of group. I probably wouldn't let my children go to it, but I don't really have any facts to base that upon. My (incredibly anti-Catholic side of the family) nephews go to the teens group, and they like it. I think it has done a lot to provide good Christian teens for them to hang around - which is good since where they live many teens get into drinking and drugs at a very early age because there is simply nothing else to do. I hope somebody can answer you with a better answer!

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A
Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟14,377.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They have an international website

http://www.awana.org/

Looks like the Protestant version of "Catholic Kids Net."

Have you tried finding or founding a Catholic Kids Net group in your area? My kids love it and its very orthodox.

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A
Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟14,377.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here are their beliefs:

The Awana Doctrinal Statement

AWANA DOCTRINAL STATEMENT

THE BIBLE
We believe that the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, is supernaturally inspired, so that it is inerrant in the original manuscripts and preserved by God in its verbal and plenary inspiration, so that it is a divinely authoritative standard for every age and every life. (Matthew 5:18; 1 Corinthians 2:13; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:21)

GOD
We believe in one God that eternally exists and reveals Himself in three persons - Father, Son, Holy Spirit - having each the same nature, attributes and perfections, worthy of the same worship and confidence. (Matthew 3:16-17, 28:19; John 1:1-2, 14, 10:30, 14:15-17; 1 Corinthians 8:6; 2 Corinthians 13:14)

We believe in God as absolute and sole Creator and Sustainer of the universe, and that creation was by divine command, from nothing and not through an evolutionary process. (John 1:3, 10; Acts 17:24-25; Genesis 1:1)

We believe that God, by His sovereign choice and out of love for men, sent Christ into the world to save sinners. (John 3:16; 1 Timothy 1:15; 1 John 4:14)

GOD THE SON
We believe that Jesus Christ was fully God in the flesh and fully man, that He was born of a virgin and that He lived a sinless life, in which He taught and performed mighty works and wonders and signs exactly as revealed in the four gospels. We believe that He was crucified, shed His blood, died to pay the penalty for our sins and was raised bodily from the dead on the third day. Forty days later He ascended to the Father's right hand where He is Head of the Church and intercedes for believers. From there He is coming again personally, bodily and visibly to this earth to set up His millennial kingdom. (Isaiah 7:14, 9:6; Hebrews 1:1-2, 7:25; Luke 1:30-35; Ephesians 4:8; John 1:1-5, 10-14, 14:3; Colossians 2:9; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; Acts 1:3,11; Revelation 20:4)

GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT
We believe that the Holy Spirit is a person and is God, possessing all the divine attributes. He convicts of sin, regenerates, indwells, baptizes and seals all believers at the moment of their salvation, filling them in response to yieldedness with the goal of conforming them to the image of Christ. (John 3:5, 16:7-11; Acts 5:3-4; Ephesians 1:13, 4:30, 5:18; 1 Corinthians 6:19, 12:13)

MAN
We believe that man was created in the image and likeness of God, but that in Adam's sin the race fell, inherited a sinful nature and became alienated from God. We believe that all men are morally corrupt, and of themselves utterly unable to remedy their lost condition. (Genesis 1:26-27; Romans 1:18, 3:23, 5:12; Ephesians 2:1-3, 12)

SALVATION
We believe that salvation is a gift of God and is received by man through personal faith in Jesus Christ and His sacrifice for sin. We believe that man is justified by grace through faith apart from works and that all true believers, once saved, are kept secure in Christ forever. (Acts 13:38-39; Romans 4:5, 6:23, 8:1, 38-39; John 10:27-29; Ephesians 2:8-9)

THE CHURCH
We believe that the true Church is composed of all persons who are regenerated by the Holy Spirit through saving faith in Jesus Christ; that they are united together in the body of Christ of which He is Lord and Head; and are commissioned for the God-given tasks of worshiping, fellowshipping, teaching, evangelizing and exercising the spiritual gifts. (Acts 2:42,47; Romans 12:5; Ephesians 1:22-23, 5:23-24; 1 Corinthians 12:12-14; 2 Corinthians 11:2)

We believe that the establishment and continuance of the local church is clearly taught in the New Testament Scriptures. (Acts 14:27, 20:17, 28-32; 1 Timothy 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-11)

We believe that the local church is autonomous and free of any external authority or control. (Acts 13:1-4, 20:28; Romans 16:1, 4; 1 Corinthians 3:9, 16, 5:4-7, 13; 1 Peter 5:1-4)

THE ORDINANCES
We believe the ordinances for the believer are water baptism by immersion and the Lord's supper as a memorial. They are, however, not to be regarded as a means of salvation. But both of which are an evidence of obedience and fellowship with the Lord. (Matthew 28:19-20; Acts 2:38, 41, 8:12, 35-38; Luke 22:19-20; 1 Corinthians 11:23-29)

THE CHRISTIAN LIFE
We believe that a Christian should walk in holiness and not after the flesh, with the goal of being conformed to the image of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. As a new creation, walking in the Spirit, the Christian learns to grow in faith, in obedience to Scripture, in prayer, in fellowship with the saints and in a life of service. We believe that the Christian will stand before the judgment seat of Christ to have his life evaluated according to his deeds. (Galatians 5:16-26; Hebrews 10:25; Ephesians 4:20-24; Hebrews 11:6, 12:1-2; John 17:17; Ephesians 6:18; Romans 8:29; 2 Corinthians 5:10; 1 Corinthians 3:10-15)

THE SECOND COMING
We believe in the personal, premillennial and imminent coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. We believe in the bodily resurrection of the dead, of the believer to everlasting glory and the unbeliever to judgment and everlasting conscious punishment. (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; 1 Corinthians 15:51-52; Titus 2:11-13; John 14:1-6; Matthew 25:46; Revelation 20:11-15; 2 Peter 3:10)

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Thanks KC and Avila!
I did end up doing a search on it late last night and ran into the Awana Doctrinal Statement.
Definitely a few conflicts.LOL

My daughter started RCIC last year and loves it.
While I doubt the Catholic/Protestant differences will come up in a group of 6 and 7 year olds, I see no reason to confuse her.
I think I've become more sensitive and aware since I've started hanging out in Apologetic Forums. ;)
Thanks again!

Annabel

Upvote 0

LilyLamb

The Lord is My Shepherd
Feb 5, 2002
Virginia
Visit site
✟1,180.00
I was a Cubbie leader for several years in the AWANA club ... my daughter helps out with the Pals/Chums age ... Cubbies are pre-schoolers ages 3/4.

It's a great club, overall - games, crafts, scripture memorization, awards like any other club (badges to go on their vest or sash).

I would recommend you visit the church and spend the evening ... watch how everything go ... the church I worked at was great, lots of ideas and lots of helpers ... however, the last church I went to with AWANA was not well-run and we ended up not going there anymore. So, it depends on the church that's running the program.

If you want you kids to be involved in something like Girl Scouts/Boy Scouts ... this is similar but they don't camp out ;)

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Thanks Lily,
You're right, It depends a lot on the church ect.
I've been a Girl Scout Leader for my daughters troop for three years now. We love it. We've had two overnight camp-outs in my backyard. Lot's of fun. This May we will have our first *real* camp-out. Should be interesting, to say the least. :)

Annabel

Upvote 0
friend Annabel_lee

I attended AWANAS from second to fifth grade, I believe.

The most long-lasting effect was Bible memorization. I also in retrospect appreciate the interaction with other children as I was an inordinately shy child.

I believe that a great deal would depend on the character and integrity of the leaders, for to a certain extent the impartation of doctrine would come from the initiative of the leaders in small group conversation. I would assume you would be aware of such conversation by questions your child would later pose to you.

I would suggest that you carefully study the materials that are given to the students. In my experience, AWANAS is very strictly organized. Meaning, the leaders follow the materials and do not digress. If you find the materials non-conflicting, go for it.

It is however essentially serving the function of a catechism class.

I will observe that the Bible memorization of AWANAS was ingenious and highly successful. I do not remember doctrine being imparted; I remember word for word the passages of the Bible that were taken in.

As for their doctrinal statement concerning salvation by faith: a bit hypocritical since most of AWANAS is run on a competitive points system and their key verse is "Study to show yourself approved workmen...".

Upvote 0
We have recently instituted AWANAS in our Baptist church. It has been a real blessing for our youth and youth program. I do agree with most other posters, it really depends on the church and even at a deeper level the individual leaders involved. Anytime you enroll your youth in a program you are wise to stay and observe. Some folks wrongly use these programs as a babysitting service. I reccommend it to you if you are involved only.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LilyLamb

The Lord is My Shepherd
Feb 5, 2002
Virginia
Visit site
✟1,180.00
I agree, there is very little if any deviation from what is actually written in the books - in Cubbies we mostly had a reading time of Bible Stories and a craft time that focused on that Bible Story which was focused on the verse for the day and then there was game time and snack time - lots of fun for little ones. The older children have more detailed workbooks, so if you disagree with the way the verses they memorize are presented then don't send them - there are other great clubs for children to be a part of - and I also agree that regardless of where you put your kids you need to hang around and see how things go - your children will appreciate the security of knowing that they can leave if they become uncomfortable about anything because mom/dad are nearby.

Upvote 0

Josh

Indeed.
Dec 10, 2001
✟919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As for their doctrinal statement concerning salvation by faith: a bit hypocritical since most of AWANAS is run on a competitive points system and their key verse is "Study to show yourself approved workmen...".
What do you mean hypocritical? Good works are very important. They do not save. The works follow a saving faith (accepting Christ as Savior).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Didymus

can t spell--can t type
Feb 3, 2002
New York state
✟10,771.00
Faith
Protestant
we were involved in AWANA for years. It is a great organization in that the main emphasis is on memoraizing Bible verses. There is a game time and a group time--songs and stories. I don t remember any catholic children at ours. I suggest you go and sit in at a couple of meetings and see if there is any thing you don t like. There is a web site Awana.org.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.