Aviv found--When will you celebrate Pesach?

When will you celebrate Pesach?

• March 26, 2005, as determined by the discovery of aviv in Jerusalem

• April 24, 2005, according to the pre-calculated Jewish calendar

• Neither (Please explain)

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

By Grace

Flying HIGH on eagles' WINGS
Jul 6, 2004
Georgia
Visit site
✟9,130.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I received this from Karaite-Korner:

Karaite Korner Newsletter #194

Aviv Found!

On Tuesday March 8, 2005 Aviv was found in Israel at Alon
Junction and Ein Mabua near Jerusalem. Large quantities of
Aviv barley were found near Ein Mabua and smaller
quantities near Alon Junction. Ein Mabua is located 15km
east of Jerusalem. The Aviv examination on March 8, 2005
started out as a field trip to teach Aviv Searchers about what
to look for during the main Aviv Search on Thursday-Friday
March 10-11, 2005. During this preliminary examination we
immediately found that the barley in the region was in an
advanced stage of ripening. The main Aviv Search, which
will cover the Northern Negev and Jordan Valley regions,
will still be carried out on March 10-11. However, the vast
quantities of Aviv Barley already located east of Jerusalem
are enough to establish the coming month as the Month of the
Aviv. In light of this discovery, the New Moon on Friday
March 11, 2005 will be the beginning of the coming biblical
year. Chag HaMatzot (Feast of Unleavened Bread) will fall
out on Saturday March 26, 2005 and Shavuot (Feast of
Weeks) will fall out on May 15, 2005. The following people
participated in the Aviv examination on March 8, 2005:
Nehemia Gordon, Ruthanne Koch, Devorah Gordon, Glen
Cain, Karl Bloodworth, Ferenc Illesy, Avi Marcus, Dina
Marcus, Avi Gold, Terry Fehr, and Yosef Ruach.

Pictures of Aviv Barley fields found on Tuesday March 8,
2005 are posted at:
http://www.Karaite-Korner.org/aviv/2005/

Happy New Year!

Nehemia Gordon

By Grace

Jul 6, 2004
Georgia
Visit site
✟9,130.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Z, I'll try to find a site for you.

Zayit said:
What I am wondering is what happens to Purim? It is scheduled to be celebrated on the same day, March 25-26.

I've never had a hammenstachen made from Matzah before! :scratch:

Actually, they celebrated Purim a couple of weeks ago, toward the end of Feb, I think. I can go back and look for the e-mail about that one, if you want.

missju said:
I'm confused about this. Does the calendar just... change like that?

The calendar, originally, was always determined by the signs G-d put into place: sun for days, moon for months, and aviv for years (I think). Somewhere along the way, the Jews started calculating their calendars ahead of time, and someone (I think it was Rambam) calculated a calendar all the way through their year 6000, since they assumed that Messiah would come in or around the year 6000 and if not, then something else could be worked out at that time. But that meant they were no longer checking the signs, like the moon for the beginning of the month, or the aviv for the beginning of the year. So, yes, if it's done according to the plan laid out in Torah, it would change each year. You would never know ahead of time if you'll have a leap year that year or not. And you wouldn't know for certain when the month would start, either, until the new moon had been sighted. Kinda makes you lean on God a little more, when you can't make all your plans ahead of time like that! ;) (And that's coming from an avid planner!)

Upvote 0
Feb 20, 2004
Visit site
✟22,847.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
When in doubt, check out jewfaq. :D
In the fourth century, Hillel II established a fixed calendar based on mathematical and astronomical calculations. This calendar, still in use, standardized the length of months and the addition of months over the course of a 19 year cycle, so that the lunar calendar realigns with the solar years. Adar II is added in the 3rd, 6th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th and 19th years of the cycle. The current cycle began in Jewish year 5758 (the year that began October 2, 1997).

Upvote 0

By Grace

Jul 6, 2004
Georgia
Visit site
✟9,130.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
The necessity for a calculated calendar arose when the Jewish people were chased into the Galut and no longer had access to the "events" as they occured in Isreal - AND because the people were so wide spread that communication of when things like Aviv occured could take many months to reach every Jewish village in the Galut :)

Upvote 0

Sephania

Jan 7, 2004
✟16,387.00
I thought that a "telegraph" system was set up for just such a thing millinia ago and that only delayed things one day. Isn't that why there are two days of certain moedim in the diaspora?

And besides why wasn't that calendar put by the wayside when Isreal returned to her land over 50 years ago? There certainly is no plausible reason now to follow this arcaic calendar.

Upvote 0

Sephania

Jan 7, 2004
✟16,387.00
By Grace said:
Z, I'll try to find a site for you.

THANKS!

Actually, they celebrated Purim a couple of weeks ago, toward the end of Feb, I think. I can go back and look for the e-mail about that one, if you want.
Well, that's not moedim so not so important I missed it.

The calendar, originally, was always determined by the signs G-d put into place: sun for days, moon for months, and aviv for years (I think). Somewhere along the way, the Jews started calculating their calendars ahead of time, and someone (I think it was Rambam) calculated a calendar all the way through their year 6000, since they assumed that Messiah would come in or around the year 6000 and if not, then something else could be worked out at that time. But that meant they were no longer checking the signs, like the moon for the beginning of the month, or the aviv for the beginning of the year. So, yes, if it's done according to the plan laid out in Torah, it would change each year. You would never know ahead of time if you'll have a leap year that year or not. And you wouldn't know for certain when the month would start, either, until the new moon had been sighted. Kinda makes you lean on God a little more, when you can't make all your plans ahead of time like that! ;) (And that's coming from an avid planner!)
Yes, by HaShem, not man, and it makes it all the more profound when Yeshua said that no man would know the DAY of his return. And this other calendar it seems has only helped to really confuse matters and perhaps one of the reasons it was made. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Feb 20, 2004
Visit site
✟22,847.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Child of the Most High said:
You were not even on my mind when I said this Zayit. Everyone is talking barley this, and karaite that, so I just asked the question.
Wanting to recognize biblical feasts at their proper time, and not just blindly following a pre-determined calendar, has nothing to do with Michael Rood. To be honest, I wouldn't care if Rood, Avi, Trimm, etc. were never mentioned here again. A movement shouldn't be judged by those on the fringe, and I'm tired of watching that happen here.

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Zayit said:
I thought that a "telegraph" system was set up for just such a thing millinia ago and that only delayed things one day. Isn't that why there are two days of certain moedim in the diaspora?
No :) a thousand years ago it still often took months and always took weeks for information to get from Israel to, say, Siberia, or to Peru, etc :)
Zayit said:
And besides why wasn't that calendar put by the wayside when Isreal returned to her land over 50 years ago? There certainly is no plausible reason now to follow this arcaic calendar.
because the calendar has been used for nearly 2000 years and is widely accepted - you don't change the practices of 12+ million people spread over the entire planet by fiat ;)

Upvote 0

Child of the Most High

Jan 7, 2005
✟333.00
Faith
Messianic
insaneinthebrain said:
Wanting to recognize biblical feasts at their proper time, and not just blindly following a pre-determined calendar, has nothing to do with Michael Rood. To be honest, I wouldn't care if Rood, Avi, Trimm, etc. were never mentioned here again. A movement shouldn't be judged by those on the fringe, and I'm tired of watching that happen here.

IITB,

How can you say that they are separate? Gordon is the one issuing the decrees about the barley, along with Avi and Norman Willis, and Rood and Gordon did the calendar, didn't they?

The "fringe" has a lot of overlap in this situation.

Upvote 0