Autism and martial arts?

RenewMyMind

Nov 24, 2013
✟15,124.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you think about a 5 year old boy with autism doing martial arts? I'm wondering if it would be a good outlet for built-up energy or if it would encourage punching and kicking. Of course for a typical child I would say it's a great activity, but not so sure about a child with autism. Any thoughts?

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I already don't like the (false) religious aspects of eastern martial arts, but, even when absent (like in boxing or wrestling*), I shy away from combat sports for my children that have anger or vengeance issues, including those on the spectrum. Those issues even ruin otherwise harmless snowball, water balloon & squirt gun fights (which I would otherwise enjoy). :doh:

For energy release, I would recommend non-combative sports; the less physical contact, the better. Track & cross-country are ideal. Soccer, volleyball and baseball/softball/kickball are good choices for team sports. Football, basketball & hockey sometimes conceal combative intentions. You know the kinds of things that would set your son off. If you don't, try to get a sense of them.

*I have Aspergers and actually enjoyed Greco-Roman style wrestling in high school P.E., but losing (when it happened) didn't particularly hurt my feelings. For elementary school, I enjoyed the variations of dodge-ball and soccer. In my teen years, I enjoyed volleyball at church youth groups.

Upvote 0

ALEA40

Nov 22, 2013
NC
✟8,167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My son is on the autism spectrum and did Tae Kwon Do for 1 year. The teacher was a very loving and gentle man who stressed respect and self-control. It was a great experience for him. I thought it was very good for his self esteem (earning belts) and it is really good for developing coordination. I really didn't see any of the violence usually associated with martial arts. I would encourage you to visit different ones and ask other parents in your neighborhood. Martial arts in general are often recommended for kids on the spectrum.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Four more positive sports: gymnastics, bicycling (when older), swimming & diving.

I was in cross-country in high school. I do a lot of biking, but that wasn't an available sport in our high school.

Upvote 0

Yoona86

Jan 18, 2013
KaliKingChong
✟30,979.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What do you think about a 5 year old boy with autism doing martial arts? I'm wondering if it would be a good outlet for built-up energy or if it would encourage punching and kicking. Of course for a typical child I would say it's a great activity, but not so sure about a child with autism. Any thoughts?

sorry, I don't know about autism, but are you saying a child with autism is incapable of telling what is appropriate or not?

I mean, if a child with autism will not able to control himself and hurt others as results of it, then you pretty much know whether it is a good idea or not.

Upvote 0

ALEA40

Nov 22, 2013
NC
✟8,167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I second Sabertooth's suggestions for gymnastics, swimming and biking. My son spent many years in gymnastics and swimming. He is an avid BMX rider now too. My father (who is undiagnosed but has all the traits of high functioning autism) has been "obsessed" with biking his entire adult life. He's also been into ice skating/dancing, cross country skiing and square dancing (now in his 70s).

It really depends on what your child is ready for and what their interests are. I tried to take my son to a gymnastics class at 4 and he cried in the lobby then entire time (even though he had begged to go). He just physically couldn't bring himself to go out on the mat. But at 5, he was just fine. My son was obsessed with swimming from the ages 5 to 6. Once he got on the competitive team, he lost interest. He was just so slow compared to everyone else and got discouraged. I'm hoping he will pick it up again as he gets older (he's 9 now).

Upvote 0

super mom

Jan 17, 2005
utah
✟22,762.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i have a pdd-nos 7 yro who has impulse control issues any sort of violent sport will just teach him how to injure others more then the occasional concussion hes given, my 8yro has aspergers and adhd with severe anger issues martial arts is so far from anything i would teach a child with autism

Upvote 0

ALEA40

Nov 22, 2013
NC
✟8,167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i have a pdd-nos 7 yro who has impulse control issues any sort of violent sport will just teach him how to injure others more then the occasional concussion hes given, my 8yro has aspergers and adhd with severe anger issues martial arts is so far from anything i would teach a child with autism

My son was like this up until about the age of 5. He could not watch anything violent (i.e. Power Rangers or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) without having to imitate what he was seeing. But TKD is not like this at all. It involves controlled movements, memorizing sequences, stretching, breathing, self control, respect, loving your parents, empathy for fellow students, etc. A lot of kids are really motivated by earning belts and really push themselves to do well. It's really neat to see. As you mentioned, I would stay away from any studios that would be considered violent as some other martial arts seem to be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We've done mixed martial arts, jui jitsu, and currently do Kung Fu. My oldest son is currently being evaluated for autism spectrum.

From what I've seen, the martial arts that are geared for kids do not emphasize fighting, even though fighting may be part of the art for adults. When my kids did mixed/jui jitsu, it was all about respect and how to handle bullies when they attack you - how to disarm the attack until help could come. With Kung Fu, it's all about form and movement and respect. The movements can actually calm S1 down from meltdowns sometimes.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know of different ways to train children in martial arts and fight sports. It is a different matter than if You train say adults. I took some lessons in Kickboxing and there were no eastern mystisism in that. Some military training warm up excersices and some strength endurance and some coordination. As for kicks and punches we trained with pillows to start with before we trained with each other and I suppose kids do never hit against the face but it is probably more fun and coordination and pillows and stuff but perhaps You better take a discussion with the trainer about the subject. I do think it is beneficial for a child to learn how to fight properly. If they don´t learn to do it properly they risk to get into a fight anyway and loose the fight. If they know how to win the fight they can cause little or no harm to their opponent. There is of course best not to talk too loudly about the childs joining in a martial arts class or fight class because some bigger kids might challenge Him to fight and He should not fight other than the practise on training.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2016
Park City, UT
✟8,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Here is my long answer (I’m passionate about this topic)...

Martial Arts is a wonderful way for kids to learn self respect, self discipline, and how to defend oneself. I myself was diagnosed with Asperger’s Disorder 15 years ago and know my life would have been IMMENSELY improved hadn’t parents enrolled me in a martial art. Instead I played team sports, did everything I could to win classmate’s approval and then due to lack of self-esteem and self-worth (team sports were all politics in high school) I made very poor choices leading to a very difficult past 20 or so years.

At age 38 I began Muay Thai Kickboxing while my daughter (age 16- diagnosed Autism 1 w/out intellectual impairment) was taking Brazilian Jiu Jitsu lessons. The first thing we are taught to do if someone approaches us to fight is walk away if not run. My daughter is the LAST person to hurt another person, but at 5’4 130lbs I would rather worry about her safety in this crazy world she is about to live in when she leaves the house!

I fell in love with the sport if Muay Thai due to the skill, precision, and dedication involved. I have always been an athlete but know God has gifted me specifically with this ability. Yes, it is an Eastern Spiritual martial art (national sport of Thailand), but there are plenty of Christian practitioner/instructors, some who even substitute Christianity for say Buddhism. When I was learning from a traditional style instructor (a Buddhist) the most spiritual we got was paying our respects to each other, a before each training exercise. Sparring was never very forceful.

In fact, my husband and I are hosting Christian missionaries from Thailand who operate a mission where they reach the people of Thailand through the sport of Muay Thai (Muslim women and children come to their Christmas parties every year). Instead of bowing to the ground and paying respect to their gods during WAI Kru the native Thai fighters pray upwards with their pastors! What a witness to the thousands of fans that watch every month. While my missionary friends are here we are putting on a Muay Thai cultural seminar at our church, and linking up with other martial arts places in the area.

Martial arts is not violent, it is a skill. The last thing either of my kids wanted to do after lessons is show it or use it on others! And by the way, my nephew started Tai Kwondo at age 5 and credits it in large part to his success in self-discipline. He graduated last week from the Air Force Academy, was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant and is starting fighter pilot training in two months.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums