• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Autism and evangelism

pi_314

Oct 23, 2010
Canada
✟7,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Any autistics here done lots of evangelizing or do you find great trouble doing it? I mean, we have trouble with social communication in the first place and it seems like effective evangelizing often requires a deep relationship with the other person or else they would see you as being blunt (like the stereotypical "You're going to HELL!!").

Or maybe perhaps it has nothing to do with being autistic? I mean, many NTs say they don't find evangelizing an easy task.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have done more group/door-to-door when I was young. Praying ahead of time definitely helps. On my own, I would probably waste a lot of time correcting superficial errors and coming up with superior arguments, but these never touch the heart. If I ask God (and avail myself to His Spirit), I can usually get a sense of where that person's biggest needs are and begin to speak God's Word to them. I haven't seen a lot of immediate conversions that way, but I have seen folks stopped in their tracks as they ponder the weight of what was said.

The Bible says, "The Word of God is living and active... it penetrates... it judges..." (Heb. 4:12)

All we have to do is bring it to bear and it will do the rest! :bow:

I probably do this with Aspie panache,

"But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise;..." 1Cor. 1:27

Upvote 0

teejayinau

Nov 29, 2009
Frankston, Victoria, Australia
✟15,169.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Any autistics here done lots of evangelizing or do you find great trouble doing it? I mean, we have trouble with social communication in the first place and it seems like effective evangelizing often requires a deep relationship with the other person or else they would see you as being blunt (like the stereotypical "You're going to HELL!!").

Or maybe perhaps it has nothing to do with being autistic? I mean, many NTs say they don't find evangelizing an easy task.

A Catholic friend (theologically different than myself) who is familiar with my condition (AS), said not all us are meant to be Evangelists. Not being able to evangelize very well because you are autistic, does not mean that you don't have other gifts for the building up of the body of Christ which is the church.

Here is a bible verse which talks about what I am meaning

1 Corinthians 12:27-31

Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? But earnestly desire the higher gifts. And I will show you a still more excellent way.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

jonrgrover

Mar 19, 2018
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
✟15,972.00
Country
American Samoa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I really want to do a lot of evangelism. What would work for me would be to have a partner to do evangelism as a pair, perhaps neurotypical perhaps not. One problem I find is that all the advice I have heard on evangelism is geared toward telling NT's how to evangelize to other NT's. I would be happy to partner with someone else and use their approach.

My special interest is creating a Christian table top role playing game. This special interest would appeal to many non-Christian gamers and would benefit greatly from a partnership, however I have not found any Christians interested in partnering with me in it. What do you do when your special interest can draw non-Christians? But you need a Christian partner, and can't find one? That is part of why I am here on this forum.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟952,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Autism could be caused my genetic mutation due to pollution from all sources.
Aspies have been around for a long time, but I am willing to accept that rationale for the recent epidemic of severe co-morbid conditions (on top of preexisting autism).

Upvote 0