• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Amy-Rebekah

Apr 20, 2017
Bristol
✟18,078.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hi guys, last Sunday I went to church and ended up with a thumping migraine due to the lights and noise etc but in my migraine medication state I had an idea. Many services are simply inaccessible for people with autism and other disabilities. I am wondering how I could make a service accessible and then potentially arrange one. A chill out zone is already planned with lots of soft cushions for those who need it. I’m thinking a very unplugged worship style and even a ban on clapping and cheering for sensitive ears. soft lighting and lowered microphone volumes but are there other things I could and should consider (I’m already thinking of sign language interpreters!)

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My daughter has autism and finds out Baptist church services fine. We have hymns and some modern songs thrown in. However, being a child she might tolerate more stimuli than you as she puts up with school each day. She struggles most when things are really noisy or a group of teens get on public transport.

Maybe an evening service would be more tolerable, they seem to be even more relaxed in my church and less attendance.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My daughter has autism and finds out Baptist church services fine. We have hymns and some modern songs thrown in. However, being a child she might tolerate more stimuli than you as she puts up with school each day. She struggles most when things are really noisy or a group of teens get on public transport.

Maybe an evening service would be more tolerable, they seem to be even more relaxed in my church and less attendance.
We went to a service a while ago and unknown to us they were going to do hard rock style music, which was unexpected.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m also targeting the service at parents of autistic children who may want to explore church but feel unable.
Sounds to me like a great idea. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Caterpillar5
Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,587.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like a great plan! Some churches have rooms off to the side with speakers so the people in there can still see and hear what's going on within the church without having to be in the sanctuary. My autistic son has grown that he actually likes the loudness that comes with worship. But he still has his "it's too loud" days and prefers to be out in the foyer, or basement or will even wander out to the parking lot. He also loves the outdoors and I know it's wishful thinking but maybe outdoor services more often in the nicer seasons.

Reactions: Caterpillar5
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,209.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A church I worked in a while ago designed a service for kids on the spectrum (and their parents).

We did things like have a box of fidget toys available at all times; we used like a comic-strip version of the gospel story we were doing that day (not relying on verbal skills for comprehension), and during the prayer time we would pull out paper and paints and pencils and so forth for people to express themselves visually.

Probably more too, I still have my notes somewhere, but I don't know if that's the sort of thing you had in mind?

Upvote 0