Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I grew up with King Jimmy and usually consult it first. But I have been working in oriental churches since '81 and if English is not their first language the KJV is unintelligible to them. For modern translations I lean toward the NIV. My first Greek professor Dr. Roger Omanson was on the NIV translation committee. He often mentioned the difficulties they had.

• Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

James Chairs4U

Jan 10, 2019
Madison
✟21,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I grew up with King Jimmy and usually consult it first. But I have been working in oriental churches since '81 and if English is not their first language the KJV is unintelligible to them. For modern translations I lean toward the NIV. My first Greek professor Dr. Roger Omanson was on the NIV translation committee. He often mentioned the difficulties they had.

Good morning my friend God Bless!!
I my wife and I both use the NIV I enjoy the dialog of the KJV and use the NKJV in studies.

Thank you for sharing :)
James

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually a Royal prerogative, not copyright of the authorized version, but considered public domain as it can be quoted in limited text within the commonwealth unlike other translations designed to profit from copyright.
I don't think copyrights are eternal. In the USA they expire after a time limit. I think they can be renewed though.

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I do compare versions, I only hold the King James Version of the Bible to be my source of scripture. To give an example of why I am "KJV only" :

"Universe" is mentioned 4 times in the NLT, 4 times in the NIV, 2 times in the ESV, 2 times in the CSB, 4 times in the RSV, and 1 time in the HNV.

I'll use only the NIV for sake of example:

NIV: 1Co 4:9 - For it seems to me that God has put us apostles on display at the end of the procession, like those condemned to die in the arena. We have been made a spectacle to the whole universe, to angels as well as to human beings.

Greek word: kosmos - translated from "to the world".

NIV: Eph 4:10 - He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in order to fill the whole universe.

Greek word: pas - translated from "all things".

NIV: Heb 1:2 - but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe.

Greek word: aion - translated from "the world".

NIV: Heb 11:3 - By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

Greek word: aion - translated from "the worlds"
------

The word "universe" is not in the Authorized King James Bible

What is "universe" in etymology:

1580s, "the whole world, cosmos, the totality of existing things," from Old French univers (12c.), from Latin universum "all things, everybody, all people, the whole world," noun use of neuter of adjective universus "all together, all in one, whole, entire, relating to all," literally "turned into one," from unus"one" (from PIE root *oi-no- "one, unique") + versus, past participle of vertere "to turn, turn back, be turned; convert, transform, translate; be changed" (from PIE root *wer- (2) "to turn, bend").

universe | Origin and meaning of universe by Online Etymology Dictionary

What is "universe" in the Dictionary:

1: the whole body of things and phenomena observed or postulated : COSMOS: such as

a: a systematic whole held to arise by and persist through the direct intervention of divine power

b: the world of human experience

c(1): the entire celestial cosmos

(2): MILKY WAY GALAXY

(3): an aggregate of stars comparable to the Milky Way galaxy

Definition of UNIVERSE

-------

Why this example:

I have chosen this example because while the term "universe" is correct, though only from etymology, (all things/the whole thing) it's still deceptive for those who read scripture without studying translation and original meaning.

This example also resulted because someone brought up to me today that scripture taught the "universe" as it's understood today. This is wrong, it doesn't and I believe I've proven it doesn't. I think some are just too quick to read into scripture, rather than read scripture.

Reading into Scripture is common. I don't believe there are many who will do the research and study to understand the background and geopolitical events of the time. If I had to guess, I'd say that over 90% of Christians don't truly understand the Bible. I submit that it is this lack of understanding that has lead to the vast number of denominations and sects that have sprung up over the last 2000 years.

The problem I find with being KJVO is that There are no Greek texts that match the KVJ exactly. There are those who claim that the KJV is inspired. I don't see how one can claim that when it doesn't match any Greek text. Another point to note is that many of the modern versions are translated from a different text than the KJV. Personally I like and use the KJV, however, I consider it just a translation like the others.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One of my former pastors said every time he uses something other than KJV he has doctrinal problems.
The problem that most people have isn't that they are reading the wrong Bible translation. Rather, the problem is that they are not reading the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

James Chairs4U

Jan 10, 2019
Madison
✟21,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good morning,
Thank you so much for all the information you provide, I agree with everything you have said, I use the NKJV for my souce of scripture and study; however do also reference and compare other versions at times.

I am in attempt reading the Bible, jotting down all questions I may have and trying to find the answers, one book one chapter at a time, and I just started.

Have a blessed day.....take care.

While I do compare versions, I only hold the King James Version of the Bible to be my source of scripture. To give an example of why I am "KJV only" :

"Universe" is mentioned 4 times in the NLT, 4 times in the NIV, 2 times in the ESV, 2 times in the CSB, 4 times in the RSV, and 1 time in the HNV.

I'll use only the NIV for sake of example:

NIV: 1Co 4:9 - For it seems to me that God has put us apostles on display at the end of the procession, like those condemned to die in the arena. We have been made a spectacle to the whole universe, to angels as well as to human beings.

Greek word: kosmos - translated from "to the world".

NIV: Eph 4:10 - He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in order to fill the whole universe.

Greek word: pas - translated from "all things".

NIV: Heb 1:2 - but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe.

Greek word: aion - translated from "the world".

NIV: Heb 11:3 - By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

Greek word: aion - translated from "the worlds"
------

The word "universe" is not in the Authorized King James Bible

What is "universe" in etymology:

1580s, "the whole world, cosmos, the totality of existing things," from Old French univers (12c.), from Latin universum "all things, everybody, all people, the whole world," noun use of neuter of adjective universus "all together, all in one, whole, entire, relating to all," literally "turned into one," from unus"one" (from PIE root *oi-no- "one, unique") + versus, past participle of vertere "to turn, turn back, be turned; convert, transform, translate; be changed" (from PIE root *wer- (2) "to turn, bend").

universe | Origin and meaning of universe by Online Etymology Dictionary

What is "universe" in the Dictionary:

1: the whole body of things and phenomena observed or postulated : COSMOS: such as

a: a systematic whole held to arise by and persist through the direct intervention of divine power

b: the world of human experience

c(1): the entire celestial cosmos

(2): MILKY WAY GALAXY

(3): an aggregate of stars comparable to the Milky Way galaxy

Definition of UNIVERSE

-------

Why this example:

I have chosen this example because while the term "universe" is correct, though only from etymology, (all things/the whole thing) it's still deceptive for those who read scripture without studying translation and original meaning.

This example also resulted because someone brought up to me today that scripture taught the "universe" as it's understood today. This is wrong, it doesn't and I believe I've proven it doesn't. I think some are just too quick to read into scripture, rather than read scripture.

Reactions: Zetetica
Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good morning,
Thank you so much for all the information you provide, I agree with everything you have said, I use the NKJV for my souce of scripture and study; however do also reference and compare other versions at times.

I am in attempt reading the Bible, jotting down all questions I may have and trying to find the answers, one book one chapter at a time, and I just started.

Have a blessed day.....take care.
I’m going to be doing the same thing on “Bible Day”, basically a day I will set aside every week to be a day for God. Likely Saturday but perhaps Sunday every week. I also will be reading scripture, and writing questions. I won’t be online that one day if I can help it.

Upvote 0

James Chairs4U

Jan 10, 2019
Madison
✟21,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m going to be doing the same thing on “Bible Day”, basically a day I will set aside every week to be a day for God. Likely Saturday but perhaps Sunday every week. I also will be reading scripture, and writing questions. I won’t be online that one day if I can help it.

Hello!! :). That is so great!! So pleased to have met you God is good ...

I have put together a web site that I am using for the study: www.learnthebible.online

James

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
One thing not mentioned here or I may have missed. When reading scripture either for newbies or not, it is wise to remember what God teaches is upside down to what man assumes to be truth. Through the looking glass if you like. The will of man vs the will of God. Two opposing outlooks. Ask yourself which has had more time to influence your life, thus clouding your perspective of His truth? Then read accordingly not expecting God's will to conform to or justify anything mankind has come up with. It also accounts for subtle changes in scripture also. Which does it serve?

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

James Chairs4U

Jan 10, 2019
Madison
✟21,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you go in order, I’d be happy to be your study buddy. We can begin at exodus or numbers?

Hello :)
Sounds wonderful, I had already started in Exodus if that’s okay with you? Our Church is in Exodus thus my reason for being there. A lot of people like to start with John; however any place is a good place.

I understand how important it is to reference other books then the one in study due to the entire Bible telling one story.

Welcome my friend !
James

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello :)
Sounds wonderful, I had already started in Exodus if that’s okay with you? Our Church is in Exodus thus my reason for being there. A lot of people like to start with John; however any place is a good place.

I understand how important it is to reference other books then the one in study due to the entire Bible telling one story.

Welcome my friend !
James
Exodus is fine. I finished it already but restarting is just fine. Message me and we can email questions back and forth.

Upvote 0

James Chairs4U

Jan 10, 2019
Madison
✟21,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exodus is fine. I finished it already but restarting is just fine. Message me and we can email questions back and forth.

Hi,
I have been posting all questions on the web site www.learnthebible.online so that anyone can join and share and learn. Some questions may seem or be like why is he asking that lol but the only dumb question is the one not asked.

My study times for the most part are evenings not all but most.

Am hoping this is okay with you? You seem to be very knowledgeable and want to learn more I like that!!

James

Upvote 0

Zetetica

Jan 2, 2019
Canada
✟19,625.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,
I have been posting all questions on the web site www.learnthebible.online so that anyone can join and share and learn. Some questions may seem or be like why is he asking that lol but the only dumb question is the one not asked.

My study times for the most part are evenings not all but most.

Am hoping this is okay with you? You seem to be very knowledgeable and want to learn more I like that!!

James
Sounds great!

Upvote 0

James Chairs4U

Jan 10, 2019
Madison
✟21,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sounds great!

Hello my friend,
Long day hope yours was well, please feel free in contacting me at learnthebibleonline@yahoo.com or here does not matter, I want to put together a web site that will not only help myself learn and understand the Bible but others as well, thus the reason behind posting all or any given questions that may arrive while reading. Its understood that others may and will read at different speeds thus the reason behind the emailing address.

Something I just learned today.....Exodus: Pharaoh. was most likely Amenhotep II

Upvote 0