Authority of scripture and a global flood?

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟447,219.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
From the geologist Dr Andrew Snelling: (5 minutes)
The Flood
...many Christians say "well it doesn't really matter - let the scientists deal with the science - we'll just focus on the gospel". But we need to remember that if Genesis cannot be trusted then how can we trust John 3:16? It is a question of all of scripture or none of scripture....

What do Christians think of this all or nothing thinking?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Flood

It is merely on man's opinion. For instance, there are some who say there was no flood at all. Some say, and I agree, that there was some sort of a flood and people were saved from it along with their livestock. If any of those opinions are accepted, or if any of them are rejected, the acceptance or rejection is still only someone's opinion.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,628.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus speaks of the flood narrative as a true event.

The scripture presents it as a Global event if one takes the text literally.

Josephus records annual pilgrimages to the Ark and the name of the tribe charged with the task of being it's guardians.

If the ark is at round 14000 feet as reported historically by various explorers then a Global hypothesis is sustainable.

But your question seems to be about the dependability of scripture and if one recorded event is deemed scientifically impossible - does the scripture then suffer demise as a flawed document...

This is clearly not the case given that plenty of events recorded are scientifically impossible including the resurrection.

• Agree
Reactions: ChetSinger
Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The Flood

Christians I know are all over the place on whether the flood was global or not. And they're all believers.

I'm inclined to believe it was global, partly because there are ancient flood stories from cultures all over the world. Some of them have eerie parallels to the Genesis account such as eight people being rescued on the boat.

But I've also read from scholars of Hebrew who say the original language permits a local one.

So I don't see any particular point of view being a deal-breaker for the faith.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Flood

Hi JohnClay,

Let me start by defining the word 'christian'. Christian is a word used to describe those who are striving to follow after the example of Jesus. Just as 'Israel' describes an entire nation of people, many of whom don't really believe all that God has told them; so too, does 'christian' describe an entire body of people, some of whom don't really believe all that God has told them.

So from 'christians' you will likely get all sorts of answers. However, there is a distinction within the body of christians and the body of Judaism. It's called being 'born again'. Born of God's Spirit. The Spirit that leads the children of God into all truth and righteousness.

If you've read the Scriptures, you may recall Jesus speaking to Nicodemus about it. Nicodemus was a Jew. Not just any Jew. He was a Jew in high standing among the leaders of Judaism. Yet he seems to have not understood this idea that Jesus was explaining to him that followers of God must be.

Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council.
He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.” Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.” “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!” Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’

Notice that Jesus thrice mentions the importance of our being born again and he is explaining this to someone who should have understood it, according to Jesus' words telling Nicodemus that he should not be surprised at this teaching.

For those 'christians' who are born again, I think this idea of 'all or nothing' is pretty clearly accepted and understood.

I agree with @Carl Emerson above. If we are going to use what science deems as possible or impossible in believing the reality of any event described in the Scriptures, then the birth of Jesus is the first to be thrown out. Friend, God performs miracles!!!! By the very definition of a miracle, despite its not being necessarily so today, it is something unexplainable by any earthly wisdom.

An even greater miracle than a simple world wide flood is the creation of the heavens and the earth. The Scriptures declare that God merely commanded that this realm exist and suddenly it was so. If we follow the chronology of the first generations, the Scriptures declare that this event of creation happened about 6,000 years ago. So all those scientific studies proclaiming to us that the earth is so many billions of years old and coalesced from matter floating around in space that came from...well, uh,...something. As I understand the Scriptures, just aren't true.

Now, scientists don't go out trying to prove that God's word isn't true, but the very core of science is that there are no such things as miracles. Everything has come about by some natural explanation of matter and the laws that govern such things. So they stretch time out with some fairly believable explanations, based on those natural laws that govern such things. But God's word says that He merely spoke, and things became. For those who believe God's word, that's really the only explanation that we need. The explanation of the one who did make it all.

Trust me,...or not. There was a flood and that flood covered the entire earth. All nature of living things died except for those few in the huge ark that God built with the help of Noah.

God bless,
Ted

• Agree
Reactions: Tolworth John
Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟379,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
The Flood

...many Christians say "well it doesn't really matter - let the scientists deal with the science - we'll just focus on the gospel". But we need to remember that if Genesis cannot be trusted then how can we trust John 3:16? It is a question of all of scripture or none of scripture....

The question can be answered by looking at the verse you quoted above. In John 3:16, we see the conditional statement, "...that whosoever believeth in Him...", which puts belief front and center. The verse doesn't say, "that whosoever somewhat believes" or "that whosoever doesn't believe". Thus, the answer is simple. If we believe in God, the flood account of Genesis 6 thru Genesis 9 is true and indeed was a world-wide event. What scripture does not provide is a gray area or straddling of the fence. If you believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God, then the word of God would supersede the knowledge of men in matters of truth; the flood account over science, for instance.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Tolworth John
Upvote 0