Authorities on the nature of the Holy Trinity?

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In regards to the nature of the Holy Trinity, there are early writings such as the letter to Theophilus, Tertullian, Novatian and St Augustine. How respected are they? What other works are there?
I suggest you hop over to the Ancient Way (the EO forum) and ask, since some members there are very familiar with this subject.

The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox

I know only generalities, and tend to know the errors as a way of avoiding them and which writers are most trustworthy, but topically I am still learning.

Origen and Tertullian are at the top of the list of ones to be careful of, and I've read serious error written by both of them. But that doesn't mean everything they wrote is wrong.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
In regards to the nature of the Holy Trinity, there are early writings such as the letter to Theophilus, Tertullian, Novatian and St Augustine. How respected are they? What other works are there?
I cannot answer your question, but do we really need them to explain the Trinity to us?

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

The Cappadocian Fathers, St. Basil, St Gregory of Nyssa, and St Gregory of Nazianzus were also highly influential on the doctrines concerning the Trinity during the First Council of Constantinople in 381. In fact, Gregory of Nazianzus would serve as the president of the council. They all wrote various treatises arguing against the Arians after the first council of Nicea.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As with all theological studies we build upon those that have gone before us, those you mentioned all added to collective knowledge of Trinitarian Theology as did many others such as the Cappadocian Fathers. Augustine had a strong influence of Trinitarian thought in the West and the Cappadocian Fathers in the East. The basic difference (without going into it too deeply) from that time is the West focused on starting with the One and how we get the Three into One and East started with the Three and we get the One from the Three.

My studies in this area take me down the Franciscan (Bonaventure) thinking of the Trinity blending in the Liberation Theological directions of Trinitarian Theology.

Upvote 0