Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The Royal Commission into institutional child sexual abuse has found that on average 7% of priests between 1950 and 2009 were pedophiles with some individual institutes having 21%. In total 4444 cases of cild sexual abuse were identified with 90% being boys with an average age of 11 and the average age of girls being 10.

While this specific interim report focussed on catholic institutions, it has been shown to be an issue in most religous institutions and still continues.
Worst Catholic groups for child sex claims in Australia revealed

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah - I heard about that study on the radio (NPR) here in the US.

It is horrible. I would guess that most of those 4000+ victims still carry the scars of that abuse. And there are probably many more who have not been identified yet.

• Agree
Reactions: Aryeh
Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟243,771.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is a shocking reflection on Australia and the Catholic Church. Though there is 7% of Catholic priests and lay workers implicated this should not go against the many good workers who have helped many. What is more concerning though is the lack of action taken by those in power who knew about the abuses. This shows that there was and is a mentality of coverup and not facing the truth which is the opposite of what Christ represented in living in the light and the truth. I think the child abuse is a symptom of the Catholic Church being a man-made religion that has strayed away from the true teachings of Christ. It's the same for the wealth that they accumulate which could help millions of poor and hungry people.

The Church has introduced more and more rules and practices that are not biblically based which are more like a secular institution like some men's club. The secrecy and the power the church have accumulated have gone to their heads and some think they are untouchable. Groupthink sets in and before you know it some in the church begins to believe their own misguided beliefs and thinks that they are right and know best. Maybe this latest revelation will cause the church to look at itself and change and become more Christ-like. They need to be more open and transparent and accountable to the people. If they get rid of all their trappings and give all their possessions to the poor that may be a step in the right direction.

Reactions: Waggles
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It is a shocking reflection on Australia and the Catholic Church. Though there is 7% of Catholic priests and lay workers implicated this should not go against the many good workers who have helped many. What is more concerning though is the lack of action taken by those in power who knew about the abuses. This shows that there was and is a mentality of coverup and not facing the truth which is the opposite of what Christ represented in living in the light and the truth. I think the child abuse is a symptom of the Catholic Church being a man-made religion that has strayed away from the true teachings of Christ. It's the same for the wealth that they accumulate which could help millions of poor and hungry people.

The Church has introduced more and more rules and practices that are not biblically based which are more like a secular institution like some men's club. The secrecy and the power the church have accumulated have gone to their heads and some think they are untouchable. Groupthink sets in and before you know it some in the church begins to believe their own misguided beliefs and thinks that they are right and know best. Maybe this latest revelation will cause the church to look at itself and change and become more Christ-like. They need to be more open and transparent and accountable to the people. If they get rid of all their trappings and give all their possessions to the poor that may be a step in the right direction.
Totally agree - except I would like to add that Australia's Royal commission was set up with extensive powers including compelling attendance through subpoena's and a capacity to investigate beyond even senate inquiries. The power of the commission and the depth of its investigations should be mirrored in most countries as this commission has already found that what lay in Australia is likely replicated in all other countries. I stress to add that their interim findings and condemnations were not just about the Catholic church but of most churches and institutions including the Pentecostal movement, Anglican, salvation army, scouts, schools, orphanages etc etc.

It really says to all adults....just because you have a pious church, do not be complacent and overlook signs. Don't be silent witnesses because it could never happen in the place you worship. Last year my city prosecuted a conservative orthodox pastor who pleaded guilty of acquiring a 12 year old girl and raping her repeatedly over the course of a year and photographing it all. He had a wife, several children and was well known for his stance on marriage and moral behaviors.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟243,771.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Totally agree - except I would like to add that Australia's Royal commission was set up with extensive powers including compelling attendance through subpoena's and a capacity to investigate beyond even senate inquiries. The power of the commission and the depth of its investigations should be mirrored in most countries as this commission has already found that what lay in Australia is likely replicated in all other countries. I stress to add that their interim findings and condemnations were not just about the Catholic church but of most churches and institutions including the Pentecostal movement, Anglican, salvation army, scouts, schools, orphanages etc etc.

It really says to all adults....just because you have a pious church, do not be complacent and overlook signs. Don't be silent witnesses because it could never happen in the place you worship. Last year my city prosecuted a conservative orthodox pastor who pleaded guilty of acquiring a 12 year old girl and raping her repeatedly over the course of a year and photographing it all. He had a wife, several children and was well known for his stance on marriage and moral behaviors.
Well said. Yes, Australia has set good standards for how to conduct the royal commission and this should be applied in other countries. Our own Cardinal Pell who was appointed to the Vatican recently has been implicated for having knowledge of abuses and not dealing with them.

The confessional in the Catholic church is an issue that needs to be sorted. I think some have used the secrecy of the confession as a justification for not informing on perpetrators of abuses. This was then extended to not inform on child abusers altogether no matter what the situation. But now with the laws for a duty of care and compulsory reporting of child abuse, it makes it illegal to not take action where a person has knowledge of abuse to children.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Royal Commission into institutional child sexual abuse has found that on average 7% of priests between 1950 and 2009 were pedophiles with some individual institutes having 21%. In total 4444 cases of cild sexual abuse were identified with 90% being boys with an average age of 11 and the average age of girls being 10.

While this specific interim report focussed on catholic institutions, it has been shown to be an issue in most religous institutions and still continues.
Worst Catholic groups for child sex claims in Australia revealed
What percentage of the general population are paedophiles?

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Good question. It still seems like 7% is higher than the average though from the articles that popped up when I searched for it. Estimates range from 1-5%. It's hard to determine though because it isn't the sort of thing people are going to be forthcoming about on a survey. Here is a LINK to one article though.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The Royal Commission's role wasn't to examine propriety with regards to child sexual abuse within the general public. It's focus was abuses within institutions. Having said that the interim reports provide a detailed profile of paedophiles that is accessible online to the public.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Royal Commission's role wasn't to examine propriety with regards to child sexual abuse within the general public. It's focus was abuses within institutions. Having said that the interim reports provide a detailed profile of paedophiles that is accessible online to the public.
a lone statistic is useless without broader context. 7% of priests were or are paedophiles. OK, sounds pretty bad. But unless we know whether that's higher or lower than the average, or even just the average of people in trusted youth leadership positions, it's pretty meaningless.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
a lone statistic is useless without broader context. 7% of priests were or are paedophiles. OK, sounds pretty bad. But unless we know whether that's higher or lower than the average, or even just the average of people in trusted youth leadership positions, it's pretty meaningless.
Far from meaningless. It has been taken very seriously by my nation and institutions around the country. The Royal Commission is a very powerful body who you greatly underestimate if you believe they operate on meaningless statistics. Indeed their report is highly detailed. The fact that they do not choose to attempt to normalize it to the general population statistics of our nation is not important. We take this report very seriously. Laws are now in place forcing transparency within institutions and requiring a detailed independent vetting processes of anyone who works with children for more then 5 days of the year. I think you do the Commissions work a disservice by referring to it as a meaningless statistic.

Having said that theres been substantial research to focus on your point : Misperceptions about child sex offenders

The Royal Commission case studies and reports can be found at Media releases, Child Abuse Royal Commission

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armoured

Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Far from meaningless. It has been taken very seriously by my nation and institutions around the country. The Royal Commission is a very powerful body who you greatly underestimate if you believe they operate on meaningless statistics. Indeed their report is highly detailed. The fact that they do not choose to attempt to normalize it to the general population statistics of our nation is not important. We take this report very seriously. Laws are now in place forcing transparency within institutions and requiring a detailed independent vetting processes of anyone who works with children for more then 5 days of the year. I think you do the Commissions work a disservice by referring to it as a meaningless statistic.

Having said that theres been substantial research to focus on your point : Misperceptions about child sex offenders

The Royal Commission case studies and reports can be found at Media releases, Child Abuse Royal Commission
Any statistic, taken in isolation, is meaningless. I'm not diminishing the Royal commission's work, rather the media breathlessly reporting this 7% figure out of context.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Any statistic, taken in isolation, is meaningless. I'm not diminishing the Royal commission's work, rather the media breathlessly reporting this 7% figure out of context.
Then perhaps you should the report as it has more than enough context that every nation should be gleaning.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The specific interim report I refer to was a preliminary summary of the review of the conduct of the Catholic Church. In that regards the commission singles that particular church out. But as Ive said twice before in this thread, and as is repeatedly numerously in the links I posted of the Royal Commission's site, the terms of reference of the commission was of all institutions who had roles with children and found appalling standards in all churches and many institutions it has so far reviewed.

I'd like people like yourself to applaud not criticize their work and instead make comments which strengthen the resolve of Christians to stop believing it doesn't happen in their church and to commit to making necessary changes for the safe management of children in your care.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well said. Yes, Australia has set good standards for how to conduct the royal commission and this should be applied in other countries. Our own Cardinal Pell who was appointed to the Vatican recently has been implicated for having knowledge of abuses and not dealing with them.

The confessional in the Catholic church is an issue that needs to be sorted. I think some have used the secrecy of the confession as a justification for not informing on perpetrators of abuses. This was then extended to not inform on child abusers altogether no matter what the situation. But now with the laws for a duty of care and compulsory reporting of child abuse, it makes it illegal to not take action where a person has knowledge of abuse to children.
I don't know about Australia, but in the USA the priest-penitent privilege is absolute. A priest cannot be compelled to reveal what was said to him in confession and any laws that have attempted to force him to have been struck down by the courts. The privilege also extends to all religions, not just Catholic priests.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't know about Australia, but in the USA the priest-penitent privilege is absolute. A priest cannot be compelled to reveal what was said to him in confession and any laws that have attempted to force him to have been struck down by the courts. The privilege also extends to all religions, not just Catholic priests.
Hi Tallguy yes here too. That is likely to change and the catholic church indicated that they would support and comply with laws where the confessional was used to cover criminal activity. The commission identified that priests were confessing their evils and that that very act was used as a means to cover their activity. The net result was that the priest either continued or was moved to another area where he would simply start his evil activity afresh.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi Tallguy yes here too. That is likely to change and the catholic church indicated that they would support and comply with laws where the confessional was used to cover criminal activity. The commission identified that priests were confessing their evils and that that very act was used as a means to cover their activity. The net result was that the priest either continued or was moved to another area where he would simply start his evil activity afresh.
The Australian Church doesn't have the authority to change that practice. Only the Vatican can change Canon Law. The penalty for any priest violating the seal of confession is defrocking and excommunication that only the Pope could lift.

Seal of the Confessional (Catholic Church) - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The cover up of criminal actions/abuses is typical of institutions that are organized on a hierarchal basis. It seems to be the first knee jerk reaction and it takes a lot of exposure to penetrate the stone wall that such institutions throw up. This includes not just churches but the military, government, educational institutions, political parties, unions and the like. Like most everyone else I am especially offended by churches being involved -- I shouldn't be but there it is.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The Australian Church doesn't have the authority to change that practice. Only the Vatican can change Canon Law. The penalty for any priest violating the seal of confession is defrocking and excommunication that only the Pope could lift.

Seal of the Confessional (Catholic Church) - Wikipedia
The statement from the catholic church was along the lines of - If Australia passes laws into its criminal codes, Australian priests are expected to abide by the laws of Australia or face the consequences. For a decade Australia has had laws compelling Drs and Nurses and teachers to report to police suspicion of child sexual abuse or face prosecution themselves.... this has been wholly supported by those professional groups so this would merely be an extension to clergy.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The statement from the catholic church was along the lines of - If Australia passes laws into its criminal codes, Australian priests are expected to abide by the laws of Australia or face the consequences. For a decade Australia has had laws compelling Drs and Nurses and teachers to report to police suspicion of child sexual abuse or face prosecution themselves.... this has been wholly supported by those professional groups so this would merely be an extension to clergy.
Priests must maintain the seal of the confessional even under threat of death.

Do you have a link to where the Australian church said they can break the seal?

Upvote 0