Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,294.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You'll note that of the hundreds tested, nine were fined for using their phones while driving, of which seven fines were revoked - Two weren't.
@mnorian hardly an over-reaction
Apparently at least one was also given a warning for using a kindle device.

This is not an over-reaction, this is horrible publicity for public testing. Would YOU stand for six hours in a line to get tested if you can't even pass the time with your phone? Or would you rather stay at home and hope that itch in your throat is nothing serious?

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

This is not an over-reaction, this is horrible publicity for public testing. Would YOU stand for six hours in a line to get tested if you can't even pass the time with your phone? Or would you rather stay at home and hope that itch in your throat is nothing serious?

I can't speak for your country but I can speak for mine. The answer is we would go out and line up for 6 hours to get tested. There's a reason Australia is virtually free of the virus, and it's in part because we aren't murderous snowflakes.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,294.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I can't speak for your country but I can speak for mine. The answer is we would go out and line up for 6 hours to get tested. There's a reason Australia is virtually free of the virus, and it's in part because we aren't murderous snowflakes.
You don't think this will have any impact on the willingness of people to get tested?

Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And you know this because you think the australian people are.. what? Somehow better than anyone else?

What does "better" have to do with the conversation? I know it because I know Australians. We are, by and large, community minded, trust our governments and systems, and in this specific instance pretty proud that we are and have been for the last few months effectively virus free. We have a specific, achievable goal we attained and are looking to re-attain.

48000 tests, 9 fines, 7 of which were reversed. We are capable of seeing the bigger picture, and not throwing our country into the toilet because of the over zealous actions of a few officers.

• Agree
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Murderous snowflakes? Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What does "better" have to do with the conversation? I know it because I know Australians. We are, by and large, community minded, trust our governments and systems, and in this specific instance pretty proud that we are and have been for the last few months effectively virus free. We have a specific, achievable goal we attained and are looking to re-attain.

48000 tests, 9 fines, 7 of which were reversed. We are capable of seeing the bigger picture, and not throwing our country into the toilet because of the over zealous actions of a few officers.

Over zealous or petty dictators?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Like I said, we are Australians. Your inability to understand our psyche is reciprocated in spades.

I haven't attempted to understand anyone's psyche. I do understand that when you give people power they tend to abuse it.

Snowflakes hide in safe spaces. They don't go about committing murder. Waiting in line for six hours is a snowflake- like activity. Murder is not. Murder is more of a psychopaths' activity.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I haven't attempted to understand anyone's psyche.

Then why start a conversation about said psyche?

I do understand that when you give people power they tend to abuse it.

I disagree.

Snowflakes hide in safe spaces.

That is the opposite of the connotational meaning of "snowflake"

Snowflake (slang) - Wikipedia.

Snowflake is a 2010s derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are overly-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions

They don't go about committing murder. Waiting in line for six hours is a snowflake- like activity. Murder is not. Murder is more of a psychopaths' activity.

Your inability to understand higher order meaning and implication in English is also duly noted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then why start a conversation about said psyche

You tell me. I did not do that.

I disagree.

You have the right to do that even in the face of the vast historic overwhelming evidence that I am correct on this point.

That is the opposite of the connotational meaning of "snowflake"

No it actually isn't at all contradictory to the connotation of the word in the context that it is used to classify a person. A snowflake is so convinced of his/her not really uniqueness but specialness, and so self centered because of it, that he/she cannot abide even an opinion that is not exactly in line with the snowflake's own POV. The natural habitat of the snowflake is a safe space in which nothing is allowed to intrude upon the snowflake's artificially induced sense of extreme self esteem and self importance. For someone like that murder is not a thing they are capable of doing only a thing they call for a perceived authority figure to do for them.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You tell me. I did not do that.

You have the right to do that even in the face of the vast historic overwhelming evidence that I am correct on this point.

No it actually isn't at all contradictory to the connotation of the word in the context that it is used to classify a person. A snowflake is so convinced of his/her not really uniqueness but specialness, and so self centered because of it, that he/she cannot abide even an opinion that is not exactly in line with the snowflake's own POV. The natural habitat of the snowflake is a safe space in which nothing is allowed to intrude upon the snowflake's artificially induced sense of extreme self esteem and self importance. For someone like that murder is not a thing they are capable of doing only a thing they call for a perceived authority figure to do for them.

As I intimated before, I have no interest in attempting to improve your ability to understand the nuance of the English language. If (erroneous) dictionary definitions of words in sentences strung together is how you cope, it's your cross to bear, not mine.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As I intimated before, I have no interest in attempting to improve your ability to understand the nuance of the English language. If (erroneous) dictionary definitions of words in sentences strung together is how you cope, it's your cross to bear, not mine.

Even though Wiki is not actually a dictionary , their definition does not in any way contradict what I wrote.

Neither do the defintions from the urban dictionary ( unlike Wiki, an actual dictionary )
Urban Dictionary: Snowflake

TOP DEFINITION
Snowflake
A very sensitive person. Someone who is easily hurt or offended by the statements or actions of others.

This has nothing to do with politics. Snowflakes can be liberal or conservative. Whether it is a compliment or an insult is a matter of opinion and depends on the context.
Don't criticize Jane for what she did. She's a snowflake and you'll only upset her.

snowflake
A hypersensitive, irrational person who can't stand to have their world views challenged, or be offended in any perceived or even slightest of ways; they will have any number of emotional reactions: impuning character and/or motives, blocking on social media, shouting, interrupting, threatening, assaulting, etc. They often live in an echo chamber of their own beliefs and surround themselves exclusively with people and opinions that agree with their own. This term is most often use to describe people left-leaning people, but can be applied both left and right wing people.
I told that snowflake that I respectfully disagree and had some questions, and she started screaming that I was a nazi.
John Doe saw that I agreed with Jane Doe on an issue, and he blocked me; I never knew he was so petty snowflake.

Some of this referenced snowflake behavior reminds me of a post I recently quoted

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟230,752.00
Faith
Christian
...while waiting in a six hour line to get tested for the corona virus.

Never get between a cop and some revenue.

Thankfully, the government could see pretty quickly how stupid it was and reversed the fines, and people are still lining up to get tested.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Which is why 7 of the nine were revoked. The other two (of the hundreds tested that day) had more serious breaches - ie they were actually driving - or so the media reports.

Upvote 0