Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We see jobs go overseas all the time, but not usually to the US. I would have thought jobs going to the US would have been unlikely because of the (relatively) high wages compared to the places our jobs normally get outsourced; poverty-stricken places in Asia where people can be paid a few cents a day and much slavery gets overlooked.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
We see jobs go overseas all the time, but not usually to the US. I would have thought jobs going to the US would have been unlikely because of the (relatively) high wages compared to the places our jobs normally get outsourced; poverty-stricken places in Asia where people can be paid a few cents a day and much slavery gets overlooked.

Australia outsources peoples to slavery?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
brinny, they're multi-nationals, not necessarily Australian companies. That article mentioned Gap; that's an American company. H&M is Swedish. They'll go wherever they can make the most profit.

Once it was cheaper for them to manufacture in Australia for the Australian market because transport costs were so high; now even the cost of manufacturing overseas plus transport doesn't come anywhere near our wage costs, so where once they might have set up factories here, now they're gone overseas.

But that's where our jobs are going; not to America, which also has relatively high wages.

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
brinny, they're multi-nationals, not necessarily Australian companies. That article mentioned Gap; that's an American company. H&M is Swedish. They'll go wherever they can make the most profit.

Once it was cheaper for them to manufacture in Australia for the Australian market because transport costs were so high; now even the cost of manufacturing overseas plus transport doesn't come anywhere near our wage costs, so where once they might have set up factories here, now they're gone overseas.

But that's where our jobs are going; not to America, which also has relatively high wages.

Then why did Australian Treasurer Scott Morrison "sound the alarm bells"?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"If Australia doesn’t pass its own version of the Trump tax cuts, Morrison fears the country will take a hit to its GDP of up to 1 percent. Morrison initially proposed a $65 billion tax cut, saying it would add 1 percent to Australia’s GDP. After Trump’s cut, however, Morrison warned that the cuts are necessary for the country’s economy not to contract."

Scott Morrison belongs to our Liberal party, which is (despite the name) similar in ethos to America's Republican party. They are the party of small government and low taxes.

I see this as ScoMo using anything he can to try to get political leverage for his party's policy of cutting taxes, that's all. I don't think (and I doubt he does either) that we're seriously at risk of losing jobs because of this, but that sounds scary and might buy his party a bit of political support, which they desperately need right now.

It's a political ploy.

Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
"If Australia doesn’t pass its own version of the Trump tax cuts, Morrison fears the country will take a hit to its GDP of up to 1 percent. Morrison initially proposed a $65 billion tax cut, saying it would add 1 percent to Australia’s GDP. After Trump’s cut, however, Morrison warned that the cuts are necessary for the country’s economy not to contract."

Scott Morrison belongs to our Liberal party, which is (despite the name) similar in ethos to America's Republican party. They are the party of small government and low taxes.

I see this as ScoMo using anything he can to try to get political leverage for his party's policy of cutting taxes, that's all. I don't think (and I doubt he does either) that we're seriously at risk of losing jobs because of this, but that sounds scary and might buy his party a bit of political support, which they desperately need right now.

It's a political ploy.

Time will tell, eh?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
With any luck... ;)

I prefer prayers.

But let us know how that luck is workin' out for Australia.

4chsmu1.gif

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,140.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ah well, I'm not supposed to pray for this or that party to win. (Not publicly, anyway).

So I leave you with this light-hearted comparison of Christmas here vs. there:

25591854_1851151834957414_8867307431386873741_n.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
  • Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Dear Australia
Just be thankful that you don't live next door to them
Canada

LOL! Careful there.....

it seems that when there's ill-will spewed at the US, it bounces back to where it came from....

y'know, like teflon.

4chsmu1.gif

Upvote 0