Australian education minister supports teaching ID ...

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor

nvxplorer

Senior Contributor
Jun 17, 2005
✟20,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Three things from the article:

The mention of Bush’s statement regarding ID instruction suggests this may be a political ploy.

The implication that ID is mainly a criticism of evolution verifies that it’s not a science unto itself.

“Australian Council of Deans of Science president Tim Brown said ID would be best taught as religion.” This is true, but we will have opened pandora’s box if we let religion become a valid alternative to science.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Everytime Brendan Nelson opens his mouth he demonstrates how little he understands education, or is interested in good education. His agenda is totally dominated by appealing to (what he thinks are) the wishes of his party's supporters.

Plus, of course, playing political games to try to force Federal asperations onto State education systems.

Upvote 0

Rusticus

Jul 2, 2005
✟8,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Seeing that Brendan Nelson is a Medical Doctor (if I remember correctly) I would have hoped that the knew better than to say that.

Next he will demand that medical schools teach the "Theory of the Stork" alongside the "Theory of Conception" (as an explanation of how babies are made) in order to provide "choice".

(I live in Queensland, and I remember that in the days of Joh Bjelke-Peterson we were heading in that direction. But Joh was nuts. I rexpect much better than that from the Federal Government.)

Upvote 0

BeamMeUpScotty

Senior Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
Kanagawa, Japan
✟18,437.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
I'll bring this up every time I see and id thread: if the conservatives are so into providing "choice", then we should be teaching birth control along with abstinence only and homosexuality as a valid way of life. They can't have their cake and eat it too.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
BeamMeUpScotty said:
I'll bring this up every time I see and id thread: if the conservatives are so into providing "choice", then we should be teaching birth control along with abstinence only and homosexuality as a valid way of life. They can't have their cake and eat it too.
That's ok for you, but in countries where birth control and homosexuality as a valid way of life are taught, we still don't want ID.

Upvote 0

Brennin

Wielder of the Holy Cudgel of Faith
Aug 2, 2005
California
Visit site
✟10,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Rusticus said:
(I live in Queensland, and I remember that in the days of Joh Bjelke-Peterson we were heading in that direction. But Joh was nuts. I rexpect much better than that from the Federal Government.)

Hey, I like that guy!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brennin

Wielder of the Holy Cudgel of Faith
Aug 2, 2005
California
Visit site
✟10,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Rusticus said:
Sorry to tell you, in that case. Joh died a few months back, aged (about) 94.

Yeah, I read that. Apparently, he lived about a decade longer than his doctor thought he would (or some such).

Upvote 0