Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LOL it's kinda funny how people can bash America all day long for everything. But you question other places way of doing things, then it a whole, HOW DARE YOU!

Some in your country have attacked us in America A LOT! We've done very little challenging of your country. We are losing our freedoms here as well, and have been for years. But it's amping up now.

Do you now know how it feels for your country to be challenged? You don't like it. We don't like hearing what a crap country we have from other either. Maybe consider that next time.

You were the one who was saying stuff about us, I was simply replying back to the fact you might want to look at home first before pointing fingers. Most of us are glad that they are trying to keep things under control. Obviously we have a different mind set.

We are an ally so I don't know what you mean by attacking you. We would always back up the US. But if you mean we think as a country the regular population is not doing so well and that your government needs to get its act together, then yeah. It's like they don't care about the populations health and well being at all. If poor people could just die quietly under a bridge I think your government would be very pleased.

I hear it all from my US friends. One of them can barely afford her monthly medication bill. She spends $300 on something I would pay $30 for. Her son is severely disabled and she barely gets any help.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think the problem here is the perceived disproportionate response to the situation.

As I was replying to another poster who's an Australian, the idea that a few dozen new cases would trigger a lockdown so strict that it's being enforced by the military doesn't jive with anything we'd ever expect to see happen here.

It isn't 'being enforced by the military'. We have some military personnel helping out with some grunt work such as compliance checks, helping with arrivals at the airport and checking on people who are home quarantined. They are paired with police officers, freeing up some police to do what police are meant to be doing.

'But yesterday, as case numbers rose dramatically, the NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller formally requested help from the ADF in enforcing Sydney's lockdown.

Commissioner Fuller said the ADF assistance would allow police to double the number of house calls they can make in the eight local government areas (LGAs) of concern.

"There's 2,000 doors we have to knock so to bring Defence in made logistical sense," he said.

"We can double the amount of checks we do in a day by doing a police officer with a member of the ADF.

"They don't come with powers and they won't be carrying firearms but they come with an enormous amount of training, very disciplined, they understand the task." Mayor says Berejiklian has 'lost complete control' of outbreak as hundreds of troops set to arrive in Sydney

This is no big deal. This is not armed soldiers patrolling the streets. Some people need to get a grip on reality.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You mean like all the protests last year in the US. People couldn't go to church cause that was way dangerous. But they could protest and that was just fine. And they could give all the attitude they wanted. In fact they could burn down businesses, rob, loot assault and attempt murder, be we could [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] those down. If it was so COVID dangerous that should have been shut down hard like Australia did.

Well, I'm not going to tell you how to solve your own problems. And the causes of those problems. They're yours. We deal with our problems our way. Others can decide who has the better response.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I'm sure harris will be in his place soon enough, and then we'll have plenty of helicopters hovering over American cities herding citizens like a rancher herding cattle.

No need to wait.

'The helicopters were later sent to the streets around the Capital One sports arena in the city's Chinatown district where protesters had gathered.

That was when at least one D.C. Guard helicopter hovered above the protesters at a low altitude in an apparent attempt to disperse the crowd.' Soldiers disciplined for helicopters hovering over BLM protesters in DC

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It isn't 'being enforced by the military'. We have some military personnel helping out with some grunt work such as compliance checks, helping with arrivals at the airport and checking on people who are home quarantined. They are paired with police officers, freeing up some police to do what police are meant to be doing.

'But yesterday, as case numbers rose dramatically, the NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller formally requested help from the ADF in enforcing Sydney's lockdown.

Commissioner Fuller said the ADF assistance would allow police to double the number of house calls they can make in the eight local government areas (LGAs) of concern.

"There's 2,000 doors we have to knock so to bring Defence in made logistical sense," he said.

"We can double the amount of checks we do in a day by doing a police officer with a member of the ADF.

"They don't come with powers and they won't be carrying firearms but they come with an enormous amount of training, very disciplined, they understand the task." Mayor says Berejiklian has 'lost complete control' of outbreak as hundreds of troops set to arrive in Sydney

This is no big deal. This is not armed soldiers patrolling the streets. Some people need to get a grip on reality.

Once the troops are there in the streets, how much time do you think it would take for them to become armed if someone decided it was necessary?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No need to wait.

'The helicopters were later sent to the streets around the Capital One sports arena in the city's Chinatown district where protesters had gathered.

That was when at least one D.C. Guard helicopter hovered above the protesters at a low altitude in an apparent attempt to disperse the crowd.' Soldiers disciplined for helicopters hovering over BLM protesters in DC

BLM protesters here were destroying things and killing people (leaving a bill of around 2 billion dollars and a death tool of 25). People complained bitterly when "protesters" were dispersed with tear gas, so some fresh air from rotor-wash was used, and they complained about that as well. They weren't even satisfied when they scored brand new TVs for free from Target.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Once the troops are there in the streets, how much time do you think it would take for them to become armed if someone decided it was necessary?

Once again, this time with feeling, we are not America. The ADF is often asked to help out when state or federal services need some help.

To put it another way, if someone did decide armed troops should be on Australian streets, the currently deployment is utterly irrelevant...or more likely a hindrance, given the current deployment has them spread out over the city in very small groups.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Once again, this time with feeling, we are not America. The ADF is often asked to help out when state or federal services need some help.

To put it another way, if someone did decide armed troops should be on Australian streets, the currently deployment is utterly irrelevant...or more likely a hindrance, given the current deployment has them spread out over the city in very small groups.

No, Australia isn't America. Neither is Germany, but we both know how things can change from, "The government is just trying to help everyone", to "Never again!" It happens incrementally. We (or at least some of us) are seeing it happen in America, while others are in denial.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, Australia isn't America. Neither is Germany, but we both know how things can change from, "The government is just trying to help everyone", to "Never again!"

Seriously? Your go to comparison is Nazis.

It happens incrementally.

It happens really fast. The Nazi take over took 1 year. He didn't "erode" liberty, he abolished it basically overnight.
Hitler's Rise to Power: A Timeline

We (or at least some of us) are seeing it happen in America, while others are in denial.

Get back to me when you have gotten over your denial that Australia isn't America.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

There are places where that can happen. The US being one of them. Australia isn't one of them. If the government even suggested that it was contemplating putting armed soldiers on the streets to prevent something akin to people disobeying health regulations then that government would fall.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There are places where that can happen. The US being one of them. Australia isn't one of them. If the government even suggested that it was contemplating putting armed soldiers on the streets to prevent something akin to people disobeying health regulations then that government would fall.

Yeah, that's what people here used to believe. We even have a Constitution that we believed the government "has to follow".

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
...so some fresh air from rotor-wash was used...

I think someone suggested earlier that farmers herd cattle like that. And that the time will come when it happens. Looks like there was no need to wait until the Dems got elected.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Seriously? Your go to comparison is Nazis.

It happens really fast. The Nazi take over took 1 year. He didn't "erode" liberty, he abolished it basically overnight.
Hitler's Rise to Power: A Timeline
https://www.thoughtco.com/hitlers-rise-to-power-timeline-1221353

Oh please, read history books! Dictators often get into power without ever firing a shot. They do it by declaring either "Peace!", or "I'm going to make everything all better.", but almost never by saying, "I'm here because I want power and am going to do as I please."

Get back to me when you have gotten over your denial that Australia isn't America.

Didn't you read what I wrote?
No, Australia isn't America.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think someone suggested earlier that farmers herd cattle like that. And that the time will come when it happens. Looks like there was no need to wait until the Dems got elected.

Who was it in post #44 who was defending such actions in his own country?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, that's what people here used to believe.

You can believe what you want over there. Getting the POTUS out from behind that desk is not easy. We have a different system over here. 92% of Australians voted in the last election. The PM serves at our pleasure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Who was it in post #44 who was defending such actions in his own country?

Using a load hailer to tell people on a beach that they were in breech of health regulations? And I'm sure they used the word 'please' when suggesting that they move on.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Dictators often get into power without ever firing a shot. They do it by declaring either "Peace!", or "I'm going to make everything all better."

Luckily you can vote them out. Even if they try to declare the result invalid they still have to go.

Ah, democracy...don't you just love it.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Luckily you can vote them out. Even if they try to declare the result invalid they still have to go.

Not if they put rules in place that allow election security to be easily bypassed so that the party that promises free money can stay in power.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You can believe what you want over there. Getting the POTUS out from behind that desk is not easy. We have a different system over here. 92% of Australians voted in the last election. The PM serves at our pleasure.

Someday, we might actually have something like that again. Hopefully in 2024....

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, that's what people here used to believe. We even have a Constitution that we believed the government "has to follow".

They are armed with blue latex gloves. If I had a latex allergy maybe I should be scared.

Aldebaran, your solution to a large outbreak would be what exactly? It's all very well to be against such measure, but what is your answer instead?

Upvote 0