The Desert
✟4,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
' "Everything I Don't Like Is Communism" - A Child's Guide to Political Discourse in the USA'

In reality, governments govern. The driving duty of the state (read: government) is the protection of the welfare of its citizens. If the state fails in that duty, it has failed in totality. If the state cannot impose regulations to promote the general welfare, it is ineffective (and thus also a failure).

Every democracy - whether they have greater or lesser personal freedom than the US or not - has imposed lockdowns and other measures to deal with the coronavirus. Are you arguing that all of these countries are "pretty close to communism"?
Ya'll got mad puffed up at the communism comment, lol.

It is what it is. Overreach. For a virus that has a 99.9% survival rate.

We don't see the state caring about the obesity epidemic, or suicide rates.

But I digress.

Upvote 0

obscura

Jul 6, 2021
The Desert
✟4,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is not a permanent arrangement

Just wait and see.

During WW2 citizens had to

Now that you mention it, I'm trying to remember what else happened during WW2... something about the demonization of select citizens, rounding them up for the safety of others, Nuremberg...

Too bad people never learn from the past.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟248,874.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟248,874.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Too bad people never learn from the past.

What's too bad is people using fatuous comparisons between health recommendations to combat a pandemic that has killed well in excess of 600,000 people in the US alone and the genocide of millions of innocent men, women and children.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟272,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Ya'll got mad puffed up at the communism comment, lol.

It is what it is. Overreach.

That's not me mad. That's me being snarky.

It isn't overreach. I fact, in terms of stringency Australia probably isn't doing enough.

For a virus that has a 99.9% survival rate.

97.01% in Australia, as of yesterday. So for every 100 cases, three people die. There were 295 cases in Australia yesterday.

Your math is awful. In the US, COVID-19 has now killed 0.19% of the population. And continues to kill better than 3000 people per week. With a case fatality rate of 1.7% (as of July, per John Hopkins data).

Also, consider both the short term and long term health implications of COVID-19.

In the immediate term, some emergency rooms and ICU wards are now so full that some hospitals are starting to turn people away. Elective/non-emergency surgeries are being cancelled.

In the short term, as many as 50% of people who contract COVID-19 will suffer some other comorbidity that will outlast the virus (for instance, I have two friends with potentially permanent scarring of their lungs).

In the long term, its looking like COVID-19 leads to a large number (probably better than 15%) of people who suffered it ending up with serious, chronic diseases.

We don't see the state caring about the obesity epidemic, or suicide rates.

But I digress.

Get off that high horse, you're only making yourself a target.

What we're doing about suicide prevention

https://www.phaa.net.au/documents/item/4225

Also, neither of those are novel viruses, with an airborne transmission vector, transmission by asymptomatic sufferers and the potential for exponential transmission growth.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

obscura

Jul 6, 2021
The Desert
✟4,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What's too bad is people using fatuous comparisons between health recommendations to combat a pandemic that has killed well in excess of 600,000 people in the US alone and the genocide of millions of innocent men, women and children.
I'd argue that death toll isn't even accurate, but that's an entirely different can of worms.

Every year, about 647,000 Americans die from heart disease, making it the leading cause of death in the United States alone. I didn't see a mandated program to reduce bad eating habits and stress.

Upvote 0

obscura

Jul 6, 2021
The Desert
✟4,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's not me mad. That's me being snarky.

It isn't overreach. I fact, in terms of stringency Australia probably isn't doing enough.

97.01% in Australia, as of yesterday. So for every 100 cases, three people die. There were 295 cases in Australia yesterday.

Your math is awful. In the US, COVID-19 has now killed 0.19% of the population. And continues to kill better than 3000 people per week. With a case fatality rate of 1.7% (as of July, per John Hopkins data).

Also, consider both the short term and long term health implications of COVID-19.

In the immediate term, some emergency rooms and ICU wards are now so full that some hospitals are starting to turn people away. Elective/non-emergency surgeries are being cancelled.

In the short term, as many as 50% of people who contract COVID-19 will suffer some other comorbidity that will outlast the virus (for instance, I have two friends with potentially permanent scarring of their lungs).

In the long term, its looking like COVID-19 leads to a large number (probably better than 15%) of people who suffered it ending up with serious, chronic diseases.

Get off that high horse, you're only making yourself a target.

What we're doing about suicide prevention

https://www.phaa.net.au/documents/item/4225

Also, neither of those are novel viruses, with an airborne transmission vector, transmission by asymptomatic sufferers and the potential for exponential transmission growth.
My bad. I didn't mean mad, as in "angry", I meant mad as in "very". Excuse my ebonics.

How do you know those numbers are accurate? How do you know those deaths aren't directly caused by an increase in vaccination?

If hospitals are so overburdened by people dying from Covid, then why do they have the luxury of firing any and all hospital staff who refuse to comply with getting vaccinated?

Most of the people who died from covid had comorbidities in the first place. Many people who contracted covid came through it with absolutely nothing wrong with them.

Ask yourself why they demonize Ivermectin, a drug which would help people knock out Covid in about 48 hours? In fact, they've been distributing it to people in India.

No one is on a high horse, fam. It's not us who are virtue signaling, lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟248,874.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

obscura

Jul 6, 2021
The Desert
✟4,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
  • Agree
Reactions: Isabelle13
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟248,874.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My point is we aren't seeing cops beating fat people up in the streets for eating ice cream.

No. You shoot them at home:

'A Dallas police officer missed clues, including the smell of marijuana, when she entered an apartment she believed was her own and shot dead a man eating a bowl of ice cream'. Ex-Dallas cop missed clues before shooting man eating ice cream in own home: prosecutor

OK, it wasn't because he was eating ice cream. But neither do you get cops beating up people for breaking quarantine. Well, it may be different where you live.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟484,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The state forcing people to go along with an idea en mass, despite it opposing their personal liberty and beliefs sounds pretty close to communism.
Not unless it has something to do with the workers collectively siezing the means of production it doesn't.

Upvote 0

obscura

Jul 6, 2021
The Desert
✟4,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No. You shoot them at home:

'A Dallas police officer missed clues, including the smell of marijuana, when she entered an apartment she believed was her own and shot dead a man eating a bowl of ice cream'. Ex-Dallas cop missed clues before shooting man eating ice cream in own home: prosecutor

OK, it wasn't because he was eating ice cream. But neither do you get cops beating up people for breaking quarantine. Well, it may be different where you live.

Was that supposed to be a gotcha?

That incident has nothing to do with the topic at hand, and I don't even like cops, so, I don't know what your point is.

And who is "you"? The cops in AUS are hardly better.

I mean, since you want to play what-aboutism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟248,874.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Was that supposed to be a gotcha?

No. A mildly humerous and sarcastic reponse to your all-too-serious and somewhat irrelevant post. Guess it missed the mark, eh?

• Friendly
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟137,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
No. A mildly humerous and sarcastic reponse to your all-too-serious and somewhat irrelevant post. Guess it missed the mark, eh?
Nah, it was appropriate.
You were presented with an hypothetical absurdity as an “argument” and responded with a real-life absurdity.

Yes, obesity will kill more people than COVID this year and many subsequent years. But an overeater isn’t going to put others in jeopardy of life and limb…unless we want to use even more absurdities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟272,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
A better analogy would be a drunk driver - more likely to kill themselves and other at the same time. We see cops arresting people for drunk driving all the time. We also see the government and cops proactively working to stop drunk driving - with laws, with education/public awareness campaigns, with random checks and with punishment for those that will not follow the law.

Upvote 0