• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Australia uses helicopters and the ARMY to enforce its 'Zero Covid' lockdown

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by Johnboy60, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Johnboy60

Johnboy60 Looking For Interesting News.

+2,791
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Australia today used helicopters and the army to enforce its 'Zero Covid' lockdown, as thousands of police flooded Sydney city centre to enforce the rules and hand out $500 fines for those not wearing a mask.

Sirens blared across the city and a draconian message was broadcast from the skies, as millions were told: 'This is public health order —do not break rules —you will be found and fines issued.'

Soldiers are sent in to enforce lockdown in Sydney | Daily Mail Online

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. cow451

cow451 The Most Interesting Poster in the Forum Supporter

+20,039
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    In other news, criminologists have discovered a gene mutation that controls antisocial behavior. It’s called Aussie/BR-549

3. coffee4u

coffee4u Well-Known Member

+2,132
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    This happened because of mass protests where thousands marched yelling with no masks on. This of course resulted in over a thousand Covid cases in a state that had previously been down to or close to 0.
    So yes the government had to enforce lock down, because Covid was once more running rampant due to mass stupidity. We don't want them running up to our state, thanks very much.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+7,031
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    To which the vast majority of Australians said hooray.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Occams Barber

Occams Barber Newbie Supporter

+5,140
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced

The actual number of protesters at the Sydney protest was estimated at 3,500.

While these slack-mouthed idiots were hanging around breathing on each other, the Police, and anyone else who got in the way; the number of Delta Covid infections was climbing.

OB

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  6. anna ~ grace

anna ~ grace Newbie Supporter

+10,868
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Dang…

7. Old Lady

Old Lady ...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me Angels Team Supporter

+10,933
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    :astonished: Human beans just don't use their noggins, I guess.

8. Bradskii

Bradskii Well-Known Member

+1,870
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    A draconian message? The police were warning people that they were breaking the law. All these morons who are either ignoring the rules or even worse, travelling into the city to protest against the rules, are simply extending the length of time we have to live with these rules.

I'd increase the fines to a few thousand dollars. And multiply it again a few fold for a second offence.

9. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+6,636
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I think I saw that same thing in one of those old Charlton Heston movies.

10. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+8,481
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Wow, Australia is so ahead of the game! I can hardly wait for the day when military helicopters are buzzing over American cities blaring messages of, "Return to your homes! All unauthorized persons will be detained!", and military troops roaming the streets with M4 rifles demanding, "Papers please!", and "Halt! Or you will be shot!"

It's only a matter of time. Why not get it over with?

11. pitabread

pitabread Well-Known Member

+12,834
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    Speaking of fines, Canada just fined a couple travelers almost $20,000 apiece for providing fraudulent information re: COVID vaccination status: Canada fines two travelers nearly $20K over false Covid information

12. Bradskii

+1,870
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    You can't wait did you say? Did you actually say that you can't wait for military choppers and armed military on your streets?

The chopper in question was a police helicopter. The very same one flies over my house on a regular basis. It did a half dozen times last week. It's common to have it flying the coast. Bondi is a very popular place. Lots of crowds. It's a local eye in the sky. Always has done pre covid and I'm certain it always will be post covid. There's also a very large police presence along the beach front. It's a popular place but people seem to think that the covid rules don't apply if you're on a beach. They do. And they are enforced.

The Australian Defence Force is often brought in when help is needed and services are stretched. Bush fires, floods - and now Covid. All unarmed and they're generally used to help process people in quarantine and road checks - together with the police.

They're a welcome sight for most because it means that the rules are being enforced and that means that we'll likely get out of this mess sooner rather than later. They do some of the grunt work so the police can do what police are meant to do.

So it's not kevlar jacketed, helmet wearing, armed-to-the-teeth hard core military with armoured vehicles that we might see in some countries (you might be able to suggest one or two), but young service men and women helping to keep us safe.

We're kinda proud that most people don't get paranoid when they see someone in fatigues on the street. If I meet any in the next few days I'll be sure to bump elbows and thank them for their help.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+2,895
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    You mean Jan 6th protestors in Washington DC?

14. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+16,129
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Americans in this thread might not appreciate how different Australia's experience of Covid has been. It has not ripped uncontrolled through our community, and the vast, vast majority of Australians want to keep it that way, and are willing to pay the price of harsh restrictions in order to do so.

While most people have a quibble or two around the edges or inconsistencies in the rules (no system is perfect, least of all one put together in a hurry during an unprecedented global crisis), the protesters are seriously out of step with general public opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Bradskii

+1,870
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    They were more a rabble than an organised paramilitary group. But I'll grant you that when some of those buffoons make the effort, it's difficult to tell.

16. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+7,031
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    I can't wait for the time you realise we are not your country.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  17. Trogdor the Burninator

Trogdor the Burninator Senior Veteran

+1,946
    Christian
    One police helicopter, once. In response to intelligence that a group which had already organised one violent protest was trying to get another one together.

This isn't a re-enactment of Apocalypse now, despite what the Daily Fail might have you believe.

You guys already did that

Meanwhile our army personnel were mostly being used to doorknock people for quarantine checks and contact tracing, and were 100% unarmed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. ThatRobGuy

ThatRobGuy Part of the IT crowd Supporter

+10,301
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    That's a valid point...

Perspective is everything...

The idea that the military would start patrolling my neighborhood because of a daily case count of 300 in my state of 11 million people is practically unthinkable.

Although, on the flip side, that bubble had to burst at some point.

On the flip side, rolling lockdowns can only exist for so long (even in a nation where many people had the best of intentions and sense of altruism) before people start to lose their sanity a bit.

Constant lockdowns and restrictions and shifting goals are going to make a lot of people rebellious after a certain point.

This has been going on for well over a year now... it eventually takes a toll on peoples' mental health, and at a certain point, I can empathize with the person who says "enough of this, I can't take it anymore, I just want to get back on with my life, I don't care if I get sick".

Hopefully you guys can get some more vaccine doses soon...I didn't realize that Australia only had 15% of people fully vaccinated...for some reason, I just assumed it would be more.

We have idiots here who refuse to take it, despite the fact that we have adequate doses and businesses all over the place with "free vaccine: no appointment needed" signs up.

There are people in other countries who would love to get protected from it...here, we can't get some people to take it, even offering them a $25 gift card at the store they're literally walking into to buy something.

Funny/Sad story, I went to a Best Buy (popular tech/electronics chain here in the US) to pick up a new graphics card for my gaming PC (that finally was back in stock after all the wanna-be bitcoin millionaires killed the GPU market)... a large local hospital system had a stand set up offering a $25 best buy gift card for getting a vaccine on the way in... people walked right by it, one even saying "<expletive deleted>, I'm not lettin' them put chemicals in me for $25"

That's what we're dealing with here.

19. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+14,231
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    This is what a functional society and government looks like, so some people in the US have trouble understanding it

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  20. renniks

renniks Well-Known Member

+2,771
    Christian
    Married
    Yes we do have trouble understanding how a police state is a functional society. Something about the fact that we pledged alliance to liberty, no doubt.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List