Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Howdy folks. Just read a piece on Bloomberg which suggests that Australia may follow the US and relocate its embassy in Israel to Jerusalem. Apparently, they're throwing in the towel on the 2-state solution. Should the church be happy about this (I know I'm)? Should other nations follow their example? This may actually hasten the coming of the Lord (2 Peter 3:12, Zechariah 8):). Just to be clear, I'm not discussing millenialism or other theories, just longing for the return of the Lord and our journey with Him to heaven (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17). Feel free to comment.

Here's the link:

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Other sources:

Israel says Australia considering moving embassy to Jerusalem - CNN

Jerusalem embassy move a 'sensible' proposal, says Scott Morrison

Australian PM criticized for possibly recognizing Jerusalem as Israeli capital | CBC News

Peace in Christ:).

Last edited:

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it will actually be all that popular a move in Australia. (Eg. See a local editorial here: Moving our embassy to Jerusalem would be a mistake ).

I'm not keen either. Looks like it's deliberately undermining the peace process (such as it is) in favour of one party.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
When it comes to predicting the future, who's to say it was also something that could delay the coming of the Jesus as well? Who's to say that it will help the peace process or hinder it? As far as I know it's a done deal and I'm not sure how much more mileage is left in the peace process.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If he's taking it to the Cabinet, it's not a done deal. This Cabinet is very new and I don't have a feel for how that conversation's likely to go.

I don't see secular politics currently playing out in the middle east as eschatological events.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Hopefully they don't. The world doesn't need to show more support for Zionism, especially when Palestinian Christians are some of the victims of the ideology. Christians need to get real and realize that Zionism puts Jews above all else. We should be standing with our brothers and sisters in Christ, not some people, mostly atheists, who continue to reject their messiah.

• Informative
Reactions: mukk_in
Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No good reason why Israel should be the only country in the world that cannot choose its own capital. A West Jerusalem capital for Israel, and an East Jerusalem capital for the Palestinians could move the stalled peace process along.

Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Howdy folks. Just read a piece on Bloomberg which suggests that Australia may follow the US and relocate its embassy in Israel to Jerusalem. Apparently, they're throwing in the towel on the 2-state solution. Should the church be happy about this (I know I'm)? Should other nations follow their example? This may actually hasten the coming of the Lord:). Feel free to comment.

Here's the link:

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Other sources:

Israel says Australia considering moving embassy to Jerusalem - CNN

Jerusalem embassy move a 'sensible' proposal, says Scott Morrison

Australian PM criticized for possibly recognizing Jerusalem as Israeli capital | CBC News

Peace in Christ:).
While I do not believe this could "hasten the coming of the Lord", it is an exciting development for those of us who understand & believe the prophetic indicators of the coming of the Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
While I do not believe this could "hasten the coming of the Lord", it is an exciting development for those of us who understand & believe the prophetic indicators of the coming of the Lord.

It's futile to base such things on what Israel does; "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only." -Matthew 24:36

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,156.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is not the job of the Australian government to play along with some fundamentalist interpretation of Scripture, but to use it's collective brains as to the best decision to make regarding the Australian Embassy. Above all, the decision should be in the NATIONAL INTEREST.

I see no point whatsoever in shifting the embassy from Tel Aviv, where it is right now. There's enough trouble in the Middle East without inflaming tensions further and for a nation which imports 90% of its petroleum from the (Arab) Middle East, such a move would be absolutely stupid.

Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's futile to base such things on what Israel does; "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only." -Matthew 24:36
No one is proposing a day or an hour ... at least I am not.
However, for a great many Christians, the establishment of Israel again is found in Biblical prophecy ... but this is not the place to debate it.
Luke 21:24-28

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
No one is proposing a day or an hour ... at least I am not.
However, for a great many Christians, the establishment of Israel again is found in Biblical prophecy ... but this is not the place to debate it.
Luke 21:24-28

But that's not it at all. Israel is the church, not a geographical location.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The question is, is the current secular nation known as Israel able to be seen as a restoration of the ancient theocratic state? I would argue that that identification is, at best, doubtful.

Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are many who regard the establishment of modern Israel, and its subsequent history, as having no relevance to Scriptural prophecy. Those who do, do not automatically condone everything Israel does. The secular nation of Israel contains the faithful believers (Romans 9:6).

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it will actually be all that popular a move in Australia. (Eg. See a local editorial here: Moving our embassy to Jerusalem would be a mistake ).

I'm not keen either. Looks like it's deliberately undermining the peace process (such as it is) in favour of one party.

If I could....what peace process? Everyone talks about it, but where is the substance? How many years has the world spoken about the peace process? Both sides have acted wrongly, but to me the peace process is a myth. It just doesn't exist.

Israel has control of that area right now, and as we know fighting has gone on for thousands of years. When wars are lost? Territory is gained - like the rest of the world. I realize the WWII aspect, but still.

Christian, Jewish, and Muslim faiths are respected there now - as much as it can be. It wouldn't be so under certain ruling of other governments. It wouldn't be welcomed under certain other countries control. NOT perfect here presently, but in part respectful. It's the best under a awful circumstance IMO.

Israel has the government offices there now, and I say MOVE while the going is good. I don't see any peace process in the future...but I could be a cynic due to the current timeline of promises.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To me it's not just about whether faiths are respected; we know that the treatment of Palestinians is atrocious. I don't think we've reached a point where the rest of the world could say, "Oh well, near enough is good enough, we'll leave them to it." Not when people are dying for lack of basic life necessities. (I'm sure there are many other examples, but this one comes to mind:
. This hospital only functions due to international support; and even then, what it can offer is limited. Access to treatment that it can't offer is restricted, as getting permits to travel for healthcare is an uncertain process). That's just not good enough.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
There are many who regard the establishment of modern Israel, and its subsequent history, as having no relevance to Scriptural prophecy. Those who do, do not automatically condone everything Israel does. The secular nation of Israel contains the faithful believers (Romans 9:6).

Considering the majority of the Israeli population is secular/atheist it certainly does not contain faithful believers. It sits at about 65% being self-declared non-religious/atheist.

• Informative
Upvote 0