Visit site
✟280,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am about to start my last semester of the Pastoral School of the Diocese of Chicago and the Midwest (ROCOR). I am working on my Practicum and my Thesis. With 3 children and work, I have very little spare time for reading that isn't better used for my Thesis. That being said, before graduation I have an Oral Exam. On the one hand, I can't imagine that I would have trouble passing an oral exam, and I'm not inclined toward blurting out heresy by accident; but on the other hand, I would like to brush up before hand. So I'm wondering about things that I can listen to that give a good overview of history and theology. I would rather not have to go through individual short podcasts, but would prefer something long-form. I don't see much in the way of audio books. There is one on audible by Prof. Peter Bouteneff, but wonder if it is a good listen.

So I'm looking for recommendations. What have you all found? Scholarly is preferred, but not so scholarly as to lose the spiritual side...

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Subscribing ... I'm afraid I don't personally know of anything very scholarly available.

I have seen a number of audio readings (often via you-tube) recently available of all kinds of things, but the voice is very mechanical. I think it's just a program producing the reading - much more monotone than Siri. It might actually be counterproductive, but if you think it could be helpful, YouTube might be worth a search.

Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟280,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have great appreciation and respect for Bp. Irenei. I will check those out. I just hope I can figure out a way to play them all without headaches. I did end up getting the audible book that HereIStand linked. I've listened to a couple hours of it so far, and suspect it's more for people who don't know much about Orthodoxy, but hopefully will refresh my memories on some things.

Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟280,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wow, graphite! That looks like it might be just the thing I'm looking for. Thanks! I especially like that there seems to be a good section of information about the Russian Church in particular which is one of my greater weaknesses.

Upvote 0