Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Its the 3rd day in a row that pain is really affecting my sleep. When I can’t sleep I like to listen to things as I try and fall back to sleep. Whether it’s tv with the picture off or music or books.

It’s probably my really tired brain overthinking things but does anyone think that it’s disrespectful to fall asleep listening to an audio bible?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No. Try not to torture yourself with such thoughts. Better that you listen to the Bible until your body answers the physiological need for sleep than that you listen to pop music, for example, in order not to fall asleep while listening to the Bible. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I work at a church. We have a large room used by teens, it's down in the basement, and we call it The Vault. They have an Ikea couch down there that was unable to take the punishment the teens dish out. As a result one of the legs on the couch broke off. To fix the problem, the teens took three bibles and stacked them up under the corner of the couch with the broken leg.

In my opinion, the Bible should not be used as a support for a broken couch.

Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I work at a church. We have a large room used by teens, it's down in the basement, and we call it The Vault. They have an Ikea couch down there that was unable to take the punishment the teens dish out. As a result one of the legs on the couch broke off. To fix the problem, the teens took three bibles and stacked them up under the corner of the couch with the broken leg.

In my opinion, the Bible should not be used as a support for a broken couch.

I couldn’t do that to any book, especially not a bible! I hope someone explained to them they should respect the bible more that that :(

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Its the 3rd day in a row that pain is really affecting my sleep. When I can’t sleep I like to listen to things as I try and fall back to sleep. Whether it’s tv with the picture off or music or books.

It’s probably my really tired brain overthinking things but does anyone think that it’s disrespectful to fall asleep listening to an audio bible?

I've pondered on the same thing throughout my life listening to different things at times as aids to sleep. I find instrumental music turned way down low to be the most effective. Sometimes, any source with voices ends up getting my mind going and feeds sleep deprivation.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

It doesn't bother me one bit. I would say have peace, and go with G-d. :)

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

I've always believed that the unconscious takes in a lot more than the conscious being. So think of all you are learning while you are sleeping:) I hope your pain gets better or disappears would be better. As for me, sleep and sitting is the only time I don't have much pain and I count my blessings. I wouldn't want it your way, take care. God bless you!

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I usually wake up to quickly finish, but I fall asleep while praying. At best it's a good thing as it must relax me, and what a perfect way to end the day. I honestly can't say if it's disrespectful, especially if it doesn't happen that often. So, you can see why the Audio Bible would be no problem falling asleep to IMO, and probably a good thing.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

So it took three bibles to lift them up? :)

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it's a good idea to fall asleep listening to an audio Bible. In fact, I do it myself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I couldn’t do that to any book, especially not a bible! I hope someone explained to them they should respect the bible more that that :(

So the question is, should the Bible be used as a sleep aid?

In my view, if you put on the audio Bible to hear the Word of God and happen to fall asleep that's fine.
If you put on the audio Bible to help you fall asleep - that's disrespectful.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So the question is, should the Bible be used as a sleep aid?

In my view, if you put on the audio Bible to hear the Word of God and happen to fall asleep that's fine.
If you put on the audio Bible to help you fall asleep - that's disrespectful.
I'm not trying to debate, since we can't do that in this forum. But I am interested in knowing how and why it's disrespectful, please. Could you tell me?

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not trying to debate, since we can't do that in this forum. But I am interested in knowing how and why it's disrespectful, please. Could you tell me?

I fully admit I may be hypersensitive to how the Bible is used, but treating it like anything other than the amazing Word of God is in my view disrespectful.

The Word of God should make you want to sit up and take notice - not fall asleep.

If you fall asleep when someone is giving a lecture it is considered disrespectful. Falling asleep when God is speaking to you is no different.

I can understand how some might see the Word of God as soothing and peaceful and a pleasant way to fall asleep - it's just not something I would ever consider doing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
^^I see your reasoning. Thank you for explaining it. I have sleep problems, and it helps me to play an audio Bible and relax. I believe my brain is still hearing it even if I'm asleep.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

No ... besides you can always go back and revisit parts you missed when you fell asleep. I listen to praise and worship music a lot to help me fall asleep.

May the Lord ease your pain so you may rest more comfortably. Amen

God Bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums