Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you think that attractions can change over time? For example if most of your past you've been attracted to those that say they are Christian but their fruits aren't showing it, could that change?

I'd love to here examples and stories of where that attraction or preference changed for a Christian that the fruits of the spirit were demonstrated in their life.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Do you think that attractions can change over time? For example if most of your past you've been attracted to those that say they are Christian but their fruits aren't showing it, could that change?

I'd love to here examples and stories of where that attraction or preference changed for a Christian that the fruits of the spirit were demonstrated in their life.
In terms of gut-level attraction, they haven't changed that much for me in my adult life. I've always been attracted to the same physical and personality types. I suppose one could say I discovered more of them over time, and became more wary of character flaws, but that's getting away from your question.

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In terms of gut-level attraction, they haven't changed that much for me in my adult life. I've always been attracted to the same physical and personality types. I suppose one could say I discovered more of them over time, and became more wary of character flaws, but that's getting away from your question.
All input is cherished. Thanks for giving your thoughts. ❤️

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When i was younger, i could go a little more with females that were not so much seeing life the way i do.

But now i am not sure i would rather have a more like minded female, especially concerning the Bible.
That's great and interesting. So the women that you are attracted to has changed as you've gotten older? You're more attracted to Christian women that are on the same level as you?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
That's great and interesting. So the women that you are attracted to has changed as you've gotten older? You're more attracted to Christian women that are on the same level as you?

I would say yes, but it has been a while (years) since i have been on a date. Being in an area that, as i am older, most women are married. So the field has narrowed down a good bit and i am currently taking care of my mom (92) so night time after the day sitters (sit while i work) have left. I am at home with mom till morning.

But i do see that i would now rather like a female who we agree more than have opposites

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would say yes, but it has been a while (years) since i have been on a date. Being in an area that, as i am older, most women are married. So the field has narrowed down a good bit and i am currently taking care of my mom (92) so night time after the day sitters (sit while i work) have left. I am at home with mom till morning.

But i do see that i would now rather like a female who we agree more than have opposites
God bless you for taking care of your mother. In my dating profile I let people know that I cannot relocate for the next 10 years. I haven't stated it there but when they ask me I tell them it's because I want to be here for my parents. I'm not predicting how long they will live but want to be in the right place when the time comes. I pray if it is the Lord's will that you will find a woman that you can be equally yoked with.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
God bless you for taking care of your mother. In my dating profile I let people know that I cannot relocate for the next 10 years. I haven't stated it there but when they ask me I tell them it's because I want to be here for my parents. I'm not predicting how long they will live but want to be in the right place when the time comes. I pray if it is the Lord's will that you will find a woman that you can be equally yoked with.

Thanks, i am in a unique position (obviously Gods will) being that i am an only child. That was born to older parents my mom had me when she was 36.

So where most people my age 56+or- a few years, their parents are in their 70"s to 80"s.

This day and age it seems so easy to drop of your parents, to a nursing home and continue on with our on lives. Like so many things today the most convenient, is not always the best.

But if any widow has children or grandchildren, let them first learn to show piety at home and to repay their parents; for this is good and acceptable before God.

But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever

• Friendly
Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Attractions can change over time. I'd say it's mostly between healthy and unhealthy variations of what we already like, rather than something completely different.

For me, I sometimes find myself more attracted to a woman's actions than the beliefs that she professes. Talk is cheap, after all. This can put me in an odd predicament where I'm attracted to the fruits of somebody's life, while their proclaimed worldview is at odds with mine. It isn't enough for me to view them as prospects, but they do catch my attention. Then again, things aren't always as they seem. There's more to one's life story than whatever chapter they happen to be on. Maybe in another time and another place, it might work with them, but I’m not holding my breath.

In terms of the superficial aspects that I find attractive, that has remained fairly constant over the years. Not that this is has been a problem. Physical attractiveness is the easiest preference to meet. Things like personality, character, and somebody who is simply pleasant to be around are harder to find.

Upvote 0

LonelyAdams

May 21, 2021
southern US
✟25,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think there are types of attraction. For example Ive met women who were very pretty but once I got to know them the attraction faded due to their personality. Ive also had the opposite happen, where someone wasn't really "my type" but I became attracted to them as got to know them. A persons body can be attractive and you still not end up "attracted" to them on a deeper level.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ive also had the opposite happen, where someone wasn't really "my type" but I became attracted to them as got to know them.
For me, I've noticed that for women where that kind of happened, they actually had one or more attractive features to begin with, even if they weren't perfect 10s. And getting to know them, I liked them more and more. But that seed of initial attractiveness had to be there for it to grow.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
sampa,

Attraction doesn’t always equal happiness or marriage. Some of the qualities we find appealing are not enough to offset the deficiencies we require for happiness.

Knowing the difference enables us to place primacy on the attributes that matter most. Thus, it isn’t a question of change but maturing and. balance that enables us to see what we didn’t in the past.

~bella

• Informative
Upvote 0