Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For one thing, I've heard somewhere that the average age of any congregation is within ten years of the pastor's age. Our pastor is in his sixties. My husband and I are in our mid-fifties, and we're among the *younger* members of the congregation. Most are at least in their seventies.

There are next to no young people in our church. In an effort to bring them in, one tactic the (pastor, music leader, I don't know whose decision it is) has tried is making our worship music less of the traditional hymns, and more of the upbeat modern Christian music. I'm not saying one is better than the other. I'm saying that the reason for doing this is to attract younger members--and from where I sit, it doesn't look like it's working.

In my opinion, it sounds phony and put-on when a bunch of senior citizens are singing music that was written with young voices in mind. I compare it to older people trying to use modern slang. And I have actually surveyed young people on this question. Do they want us to try to talk like them? No, they answer. Please don't. It's embarrassing.

My own feeling is that hearing older people singing music that may be two or three generations ahead of their peak years will generate that same feeling in younger people. It just sounds "off."

Especially you younger people, how do you feel about it? Would you be more inclined to go to a church where mostly older people are singing "Leaning On the Everlasting Arms," or where mostly older people are singing "Good Good Father"?

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
We have a wide variety of ages. Zero to 90. And a lot of different music each week. It’s not the music. It’s the message. He needs to preach the gospel, and the Spirit will do what He does.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,896.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, it depends how you define "younger" whether I fit that definition or not. :)

What I've observed is that as far as music goes, it's more important to do it well than to choose a particular style. Young people can appreciate (for example) Palestrina sung excellently, and nobody wants to hear the latest praise band hit done badly. Do what you can do well, do it to the best of your ability, do it with integrity.

So much for music.

That said, I also think Hamm's got a point. The newest members of my congregation are a young couple who choose to go to the service where there is no music. Although I'd say it's the message, yes, but it's also the whole package. Are your congregation living that message? Are they genuinely loving, joyful, peaceful people? Are they serving their local community well? All of that is what will attract new people of any age.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
For one thing, I've heard somewhere that the average age of any congregation is within ten years of the pastor's age. Our pastor is in his sixties. My husband and I are in our mid-fifties, and we're among the *younger* members of the congregation. Most are at least in their seventies.

There are next to no young people in our church. In an effort to bring them in, one tactic the (pastor, music leader, I don't know whose decision it is) has tried is making our worship music less of the traditional hymns, and more of the upbeat modern Christian music. I'm not saying one is better than the other. I'm saying that the reason for doing this is to attract younger members--and from where I sit, it doesn't look like it's working.

In my opinion, it sounds phony and put-on when a bunch of senior citizens are singing music that was written with young voices in mind. I compare it to older people trying to use modern slang. And I have actually surveyed young people on this question. Do they want us to try to talk like them? No, they answer. Please don't. It's embarrassing.

My own feeling is that hearing older people singing music that may be two or three generations ahead of their peak years will generate that same feeling in younger people. It just sounds "off."

Especially you younger people, how do you feel about it? Would you be more inclined to go to a church where mostly older people are singing "Leaning On the Everlasting Arms," or where mostly older people are singing "Good Good Father"?
The only way to attract people is to be a church that is united in love. I'm 68 and I love some of the old hymns. A lot of modern music leaves me cold. There are an awful lot of of awful old hymns too! I do not believe that the church should be an entertainment centre. God commands the blessing where there is unity. The early church flourished because they were united in love. For sure, doctrine is important (I teach the Bible) but the fruit of the Spirit will get people's attention.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟483,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There isn't a once size fits all way to worship. The Apostle Paul adapted to his audience...

1 Corinthians 9:20 (NASB)

To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law;

At our church we have a more traditional service early and later in the day a more contemporary service.

You have to speak to people in a language they relate to.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

smithed64

To Die is gain, To Live is Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 2, 2013
Chattanooga, Tennessee
✟41,497.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
There isn't a once size fits all way to worship. The Apostle Paul adapted to his audience...

1 Corinthians 9:20 (NASB)

To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law;

At our church we have a more traditional service early and later in the day a more contemporary service.

You have to speak to people in a language they relate to.

This is true, but he never got off message. The Risen Christ. His message stayed the same, the Gospel first and foremost. Problem with a lot of churches today are friendly seeker types where filling the pews is more important than the message.
Yes, we need the young in church. I have found that many of the young that do come to church are after the Truth. They may not like it, they'll even argue against it. But will listen to it. And once the word is told to them, it never goes out without affecting them in some way. Remember the Word never goes out void.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I am going to go slightly against the grain in this thread by observing that more traditional churches with more traditional services seem at least anecdotally to be pulling larger crowds. This is one reason for the furore of Traditiones Custodes by Pope Francis. Another example would be the remarkable success of the Continuing Anglican parishes in the US vs. both the Episcopalians and ACNA. Still another would be the continued growth of the less ethnocentric Eastern Orthodox Churches and now even the Coptic Orthodox Church among the US and British populations, the Antiochians doing an exceptionally good job (to the point that “Angliochian” is the latest well known demonym for converts to Eastern churches, following the well known and also perhaps less complimentary “conwertsy”), and the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese in the US, which has a reputation for ethnocentricity, is actually losing members, both Greek and non-Greek, despite an impressive building program in recent years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jul 28, 2022
East Sussex
✟18,781.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My thoughts on this post & others following on.
'' We '' don't bring them in, those 'seeking will find'. They are drawn as you & I were.

Got your music point. Always a point of tension etc. Too loud. Some have left our building because of that. Some wear ear plugs.
''Thats what the younger members want'' as one of our leaders said. Oh dear! Oh dear.! I want much but I hope God's in charge of our real needs.
One of the best Praise leaders I experience in Canada on an End-time farm, was a poor singer but lead the praise with & in the holy spirit. I would love to be able to say, our worship was led by the Holy Spirit; I often the band leader is lost in his own praise or maybe just performing. Yuk.!! Just hearing my own voice united with others can be a blessing. One instrument leading or doing a little of each as led is refreshing.

Don't try to talk to people make/taking opportunities ''To cross the room''; little by little I get more adept at meeting anybody. I believe all Born again Christians want to break out of their fleshiness. We 80+ olds have a couple of older teens coming for lunch this Sunday. I hope this continues a slow & steady revival of us becoming ''One'' In Him.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟839,594.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since this thread was started in 2019, I'll give a little update.

The pastor has since retired. There is an interim pastor, in the same age group, but I don't know much about him. To be honest, I've been dissatisfied there almost from the time we first started going. I only continued to go there because hubby didn't want to leave, and I'd rather worship as husband and wife in the same church than in different ones.

Hubby gave me his blessing to find a new church, and I did. As he is a regional bus driver, he's often out of town. I figured if I'm going to be alone at least half the time on Sundays, I should find a church where I am not among the younger members of the congregation. We're both pushing 60 now, and we still are at least fifteen to twenty years below the average age of the congregation. Nothing wrong with older people at church, but I do believe something is wrong when a church is ALL older people. I wanted a church full of children and young people. By changing, that's what I now have. Hubby goes with me when he is home. Or, if for some reason I cannot attend services, he will go to the old church because he's change resistant and that's where he knows everybody. So essentially now he has two churches. I don't. I refer to the other one as my "former" church.

When modern upbeat music didn't pull young people in, my former church thought maybe a flashy new elecronic sign out front would do it. It didn't.

I am involved in children and youth ministry now, just as I wanted. People from my former church still don't get it. They keep begging me to come back. When my husband goes there, they always ask about me. They think I'm giving them the cold shoulder because maybe somebody must have said something that hurt my feelings. No. I changed because I wanted to be around young people. And I explained this, but they still don't understand. "We had a family with three children come in last week, and we were all excited! You missed it." Yeah, well, there were dozens upon dozens of children where I went. And do the families with young children who visit your church ever come back again? No, they don't. And that's my point.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2022
East Sussex
✟18,781.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟192,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many churches are bringing the world into their service in order to attract new members or appeal to the world. A lot of church-goers don't see that as a problem. A lot of preachers don't see that as a problem. That is a problem.

Worship music is for believers to worship God, praise God, thank God, and above all glorify God. Worship music should be theologically sound and based on Biblical doctrine. Worship music is not a musical concert designed to entertain the people sitting in the pews; although individuals and the congregation may be blessed also through hearing and participating in the worship music.

God is pleased when we sing praises in His name. He hears us whether we are gifted singers or tone-deaf unable to carry a tune. He knows our heart.

Should not young church attendees be attracted first and foremost to the the Gospel message rather than the drum solo from the church band?

All glory to God! Holy, Holy, Holy, is the LORD God Almighty...

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are next to no young people in our church.

What attracts young people are young people and relevent practicle preaching.

What sends them away is a congragation that won't change.

Suggest that your minister starts a monthly apologetic based surmon that clearly explains tha case for Christianity.
does he cover issues facing us today with Christian answers?

That or prsaude him to retire and get a young minister. ( if the average congration age is with in ten years of the minister. :) )

Upvote 0