Attending an Orthodox service for the first time

Nov 22, 2016
Dumfries, Virginia, United States
✟11,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I'm a non-Orthodox Christian who was baptized at a young age into the United Methodist Church, then rejected just about everything for atheism for six years before ultimately coming back to a general faith of sorts. After taking the time to really study the denominations and their views and whatnot, I settled for giving the Eastern Orthodox way a look. There's a Russian Orthodox church about nine miles from my home and I've decided I'll pay a visit tomorrow to see what they're all about in terms of worship.

As ridiculous as this next part may sound, I'm a tad-bit nervous. Not that I think they're gonna boot me out for inquiring, but just experiencing something radically new than the usual sort of sit/sing/pray/leave routine I had experienced at my old church I used to attend. So I guess all I'm really seeking here is just any advice you can give in regards to what I should expect. They'll be beginning with a Reading of the Third Hour, followed by the Divine Liturgy (which is then followed by a Fellowship Hour). I'm probably fretting over nothing, since I'll of course just be a visitor. But yeah, if there's anything you think I should know or just want to add in general, by all means, please do. And thank you for your time.

• Friendly
Reactions: archer75

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
It's entirely possible there will be no pews, so expect to stand most of the time. Just don't enter during readings or processions, and do what everyone else does. Except for Communion, only those who are Orthodoxy Christians can partake. There are generally candles in the narthex (antechamber), it is customary to light one, but you don't have to. There are also icons to kiss in the narthex, since we do strongly believe that the physical can be holy, and see that as integral to the incarnation. During certain seasons (not this one), if there are no pews, you will see prostrations to God being made during the service. During Sunday services, we keep it to bowing, though.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟631,933.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
My suggestion would be to listen and just soak it in. The call and response from the deacon/presbyter and the congregation can be inspiring. Breath in the incense, notice how the icons/iconography tell a story. The center opening of the iconostasis is called the beautiful gate, to your right will be the icon of Christ and John the Baptist. To the left the Theotokos and the icon of the church.

Are you familiar with the Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom?
What about language? Will the service be in Russian or will it be in English? mixed? In our Greek parish it's about half in each. Take your cues for standing/sitting from those around you. Be prepared to stand, wear comfortable shoes (seriously). Don't feel obligated to go forward or venerate anything. Just be respectful and you'll be fine. The Eucharist/Communion will be for Orthodox only.
That's about all I can think of at the moment..

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟738,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I will leave the advice giving to the Eastern Orthodox folks, but please share your experience once you've attended, if you don't mind of course.

Edit: I'd just like to add that I believe it'll be brilliant. I'm looking forward to attending one myself, which will be soon :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2016
Dumfries, Virginia, United States
✟11,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My suggestion would be to listen and just soak it in. The call and response from the deacon/presbyter and the congregation can be inspiring. Breath in the incense, notice how the icons/iconography tell a story. The center opening of the iconostasis is called the beautiful gate, to your right will be the icon of Christ and John the Baptist. To the left the Theotokos and the icon of the church.

Are you familiar with the Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom?
What about language? Will the service be in Russian or will it be in English? mixed? In our Greek parish it's about half in each. Take your cues for standing/sitting from those around you. Be prepared to stand, wear comfortable shoes (seriously). Don't feel obligated to go forward or venerate anything. Just be respectful and you'll be fine. The Eucharist/Communion will be for Orthodox only.
That's about all I can think of at the moment..
Yes, I've read over it a couple times recently to get an idea of what the Liturgy will be like. According to the website for the parish, all services will be done in English, so no language issues or anything.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟631,933.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes, I've read over it a couple times recently to get an idea of what the Liturgy will be like. According to the website for the parish, all services will be done in English, so no language issues or anything.
Oh good. The potential for a language barrier would've been my biggest concern.
I expect that you'll be fine. Here's a link on 'What to Expect' on the Antiochian website. It's a good overview. Overall, just be yourself.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to TAW!

And I hope your visit is a wonderful experience. :)

If someone hands you a piece of bread after the communion has been received, don't worry. It will be Antidoron, blessed bread, not the Eucharist, and you may receive it. In Russian Churches, don't they also pass a little wine or Holy Water? Or dip the bread in it? I'm a little unsure on that offhand.

If people don't speak to you when you arrive, don't feel slighted. It is normal for there to be no real socializing or interaction, sometimes not even in the Narthex, during Church services. They will be happy to greet you at Fellowship afterwards. :)

If you're interested in a (very quick) chat with the priest, you can hang back at the end when everyone goes up to receive a blessing before leaving. If you go last, you can introduce yourself and let him know you are visiting. He can probably take a moment with you, but he still has duties to perform.

If the services are mostly in English, everything else I can think of probably doesn't need to be said. :)

Please come back and let us know what you think. It's always good to hear the impressions of people for the first time. :) Be blessed!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Was going to update and let you all know how it went, but didn't make it this morning due to various circumstances. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time here.

no wasted time at all, those things happen. get around when you can. God knows what He is doing with you.

Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0