ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i attended a thurs mass, so may be different attending on a sunday..know is usually more in attendance on sunday at my church...went to an ol chapel. was neat inside. just seemed almost robotic/hypotic came away feeling depleated..felt nothing inside..I even prayed a couple times on my own..but nothing...couldn't tell what folks were saying...all the stuff folks were saying was suppose to be prayers...but it was so monotone...anyways..just curious did I pick a bad day? are services usually that meh...I go to church to feel rejuvenated...uplifted...and to learn something..or add to my knowledge...sorry i rambled on..do you guys feel the spirit...how when you are reciting prayers the whole time...other than the reading someone did at the beginning...again no life...and the taking of communion at the end

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
i attended a thurs mass, so may be different attending on a sunday..know is usually more in attendance on sunday at my church...went to an ol chapel. was neat inside. just seemed almost robotic/hypotic came away feeling depleated..felt nothing inside..I even prayed a couple times on my own..but nothing...couldn't tell what folks were saying...all the stuff folks were saying was suppose to be prayers...but it was so monotone...anyways..just curious did I pick a bad day? are services usually that meh...I go to church to feel rejuvenated...uplifted...and to learn something..or add to my knowledge...sorry i rambled on..do you guys feel the spirit...how when you are reciting prayers the whole time...other than the reading someone did at the beginning...again no life...and the taking of communion at the end

Firstly, welcome to Christian Forums, and welcome to One Bread One Body - the Catholic Forum! Also, I'm glad to hear you had an opportunity to go to Mass!

Daily Mass can often be pared down compared to Sunday Mass, so that may be part of it. But in all fairness, if you're going to a Catholic parish expecting an exuberant show like Hillsong, that's just not going to happen. As the ancient Church that Christ founded, we engage in the oldest forms of worship that focus on reverence for Christ.

Something else to think about, should we be going to church because of what we can get out of it? You mentioned you go to get rejuvenated and uplifted, but perhaps how we feel afterwards isn't the point. Maybe we our objective to be to give glory and honor to God and let everything else sort itself out.

I know when I go I feel the Holy Spirit more completely than in any Protestant service I've ever been to (and I'm just now converting to Catholicism, having been a Protestant for the first 28 years of my life). I feel as though I'm actually, literally, tapping into this living stream of consciousness within the worship since it's been essentially unchanged since the time of Christ and the Apostles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
good answer darth bagel. it all depends on our expectations. I am born and raised catholic and honestly I have to say that Mass is still more a chore than a joy. But that is not the point. it is what we put into it and we have come to understand what is actually happening in the Mass. A full understanding of the Eucharist Liturgy. My bone of contention for me is that priests could make their homilies better, more powerful. I think in general people appreciate a good homily. That is not an unfair expectation in my view. oh by the way, some good music accompaniment really helps my enjoyment level. I love the old organ hymns though, which tend to be sparse these days.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Uh yes there was no music..which was odd...we do music to prepare our hearts for the message...that m

good answer darth bagel. it all depends on our expectations. I am born and raised catholic and honestly I have to say that Mass is still more a chore than a joy. But that is not the point. it is what we put into it and we have come to understand what is actually happening in the Mass. A full understanding of the Eucharist Liturgy. My bone of contention for me is that priests could make their homilies better, more powerful. I think in general people appreciate a good homily. That is not an unfair expectation in my view. oh by the way, some good music accompaniment really helps my enjoyment level. I love the old organ hymns though, which tend to be sparse these days.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think it just depends, I have been to 10 different churches...only 2 have I felt presence of holy spirit...one more often then the other...

Like @bettercallpaul touched on, when someone begins to understand what's actually happening during Mass, then I think the Holy Spirit is more visible. The Mass offers a glimpse of the actual heavenly worship that is described in scripture, the body and blood of Christ pulls us into that sacrifice he made 2,000 years ago. It's truly supernatural, and yet not at all irreverent or chaotic like an evangelical, pentecostal or charismatic church can be.

Uh yes there was no music..which was odd...we do music to prepare our hearts for the message...that m

There was no music most likely because it was Daily Mass. Like I said, Daily Mass can often be scaled down so it's kind of minimalistic. Usually those who play the organ or sing in the choir are busy on weekdays so they aren't available to perform those duties in Daily Mass.

Also, it's important to note that in the Catholic Church, the message (aka the homily) isn't the central part of Mass. The Eucharist (Holy Communion) is. Receiving the body and blood of Christ is the summit of our worship, nothing else should be the central focus of Christian worship than the Eucharist.

Reactions: SnowyMacie
Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have attended some daily masses that were "good", but most have been generally poor. The Priests have seemed detached, little response from the pews, no music, no homily, mostly going through the motions. In general, daily Mass is not the best place for a non-Catholic to get the feel of a Catholic Mass.

Curious as to why you went to a weekday Mass, as you are not Catholic? Have you gone to a Sunday Mass?

Reactions: ml5363
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think it's common for a daily Mass to seem like not a lot of preparation was put into it. A daily Mass is always shorter than a Sunday Mass, but it contains all of the essential parts. Some people attend it between work that day and feel the pressure of time. Sunday Mass usually has more preparation than the daily Mass since Sunday is the Lord's day, the high point of every week. At the parish I attend, the priests consistently prepare well for the Mass, even during the weekdays.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
This thread raises an interesting contrast between Protestant and Catholic services. I have attended several protestant church services and been pleasantly surprised. I did feel entertained but also left with a good clear message from the sermon. It is just a different perspective. I enjoyed the music, the sermon and the feeling of community at protestant churches. A few experiences turned me off though. One was some guy harassing me to come to the front and declare my need to be saved to everyone else. Personally I also found the Jesusless cross to be weird.
I'd like to think I am free to visit both catholic masses and protestant services. I get different things from both. But I imagine the purists will say stick to one. I agree that scripture is important but something draws me back to Catholicism. Hopefully more than nostalgic hymns from childhood. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic

Hi,

I have read all of your posts here in this thread.

The first part of the Mass is similar to Protestsnt services, as far as the sermon and some readings of The Bible go, however, the speaker can be anywhere from going through the motions to Totally God Inspired.

The second part of the Mass is very technical, and is this: with Jesus Invisibly wrapping the Priest, which a Saint of old was shown by God, Jesus actually, but to us we see the priest, changes the bread and wine into His Actual Body and Blood.

The effect of this on all Catholics, is for about three or four weeks afterwards, from a single taking of that body and sometimes the blood of Jesus, they now make people's lives better, while doing precisely nothing different that they are aware of.

As a full blown Christian Mystic, Jesus has taken me through that exercise twice or more, to separate the effects of Jesus, from my own personality and effectiveness.

The first time, The Eucharist was withheld from me, others worried. I told them that I would wait this out to see what was the reason for it.

One day, in the morning, everyone misunderstood my intentions. It was horrible. Within an hour, and the first time in weeks, I was allowed to take the Eucharist again.

Instantly no one misunderstood me again.

Call it by any Name, Jesus in me, Jesus around me, Graces from Jesus, that Eucharist, makes people understand me, when I am being Biblical in deeds and healing and helping words to others, because I am told to do those things in The Bible, or by a priest.

I have noticed, all Catholics are similar. The only difference with me, is I actually know what is happening to me, and then what I see in other Catholics makes sense that way also.

The Eucharist and The Real Presence of Jesus in it, is the fundamental difference in The Catholic Church from Protestsnt Churches.,

Either one, that you are assigned to by God is fine.

LOVE,

Upvote 0

mea kulpa

Benedictine Traditional Catholic
Feb 9, 2016
united kingdom
✟39,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

We exist to love and to serve God... we are NOT about how uplifted we feel and how rejuvenating mass is that is not how we feel the holy spirit. The holy spirit is what moves us to worship God in the first place. It is what moves us to serve God by taking his word and his love to others. It is the holy spirit who moves our hearts towards God. If you want to experience the holy spirit go before God recognising your sinfulness that you have wronged God offended him and your not worthy to even be in that church let alone before him in the eucharist let the spirit move you to repentance and know your salvation lies within the faith and sacraments of the church founded by Christ.... if your just looking to feel uplifted and rejuvenated the world offers you many avenues by which to loose yourself in... drugs promiscuity alcohol sports fast cars money. Catholicism is much deeper and if your merely looking for the superficial you will never understand catholicism

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
I prefer the Eucharist to be without music .

I used to love hymns and music at Mass , but now I prefer a more quiet Eucharist .

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
So do I. That's why I much prefer the weekday Mass, frankly - no kids :) At Sat/Sun Mass, people today think it's OK to let their kids cry and yell and carry on. In fact I don't go to my old church any more because it got so bad and drive a fair bit further to another one if I'm going to Sat/Sun Mass.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
So do I. That's why I much prefer the weekday Mass, frankly - no kids :) At Sat/Sun Mass, people today think it's OK to let their kids cry and yell and carry on. In fact I don't go to my old church any more because it got so bad and drive a fair bit further to another one if I'm going to Sat/Sun Mass.

I'm glad others take the liberty to say this as it often feels as if I'm a horrible human being for getting ticked off by kids at Sunday mass.

Another thing I really dislike about Sunday mass is how the same disrespectful, mindless people have their cellphones ringing and annoying the crap out of myself, other parishoners and our priest every week.

This horrific behaviour is nonexistent at weekdays which is good.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Yes, thank you also for letting me know someone else gets it. Actually I think many do but are afraid to say something or even give these thoughtless people a glare, which I have on numerous occasions. PS I take no pleasure in that, but if tolerating such rude behavior only enables if not emboldens such people. This is also the reason I almost never go out to eat any more, but I digress :)

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single

Feelings are subjective and God's precense doesnt depend on our ability to sense him.

Feeling his presence is a true blessing and should be appreciated greatly when it's experienced, but not to feel such precense does not imply we've been abandoned or anything.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Yes, thank you also for letting me know someone else gets it. Actually I think many do but are afraid to say something or even give these thoughtless people a glare, which I have on numerous occasions. PS I take no pleasure in that, but if tolerating such rude behavior only enables if not emboldens such people. This is also the reason I almost never go out to eat any more, but I digress :)

Glaring doesn't help one bit trust me I've tried :mad:

The social antennas of these people are nonexistent is seems :(

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Yeah I'm with you there. I feel like such a jerk for getting a bit frustrated when people freely let their kids misbehave. Sometimes I can barely hear the prayers, homily or choir over the toddlers screaming.

Upvote 0