Attempting to redefine the judicial system.

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
Do you believe that drinking adolescents aren't well aware of what the drinking age is in their state?
Irrelevant, the question is: Do you have evidence to suggest that he knew about it and did it anyway? The question isn't "Did he did a commit a crime"(The answer is yes obviously).

[quuote]So if he knew at the time, is he lying to himself now to justify his self-image?[/QUOTE]
You are the one who is accusing him of being a liar here, not me.

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Irrelevant, the question is: Do you have evidence to suggest that he knew about it and did it anyway? The question isn't "Did he did a commit a crime"(The answer is yes obviously).

So if he knew at the time, is he lying to himself now to justify his self-image?
You are the one who is accusing him of being a liar here, not me.
I'm suggesting that it is beyond credible that he didn't know that he was underage when he was drinking in high school. He's not a moron and the well-publicized law changed just as he would have come of age.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'll thank you to not paint all liberals with such a broad brush. I'm in no way certain of Kavanaugh's guilt, and I'm perfectly willing to accept his innocence if it is proven via an investigation.

You just proved my point....he has to prove his innocence, instead Ford needing to prove his guilt. We're talking about an incident which supposedly happened 36 years ago...even those Ford claims were present don't remember it.

Short of time travel, how is he supposed to prove his innocence?

Ford's testimony was credible, but the evidence is circumstantial at best,

What evidence? I haven't seen any evidence for this incident and I've read multiple articles about it.

and what we've seen does not meet the "beyond reasonable doubt" standard if this were a court of law.

If she tried to press charges....it would be dismissed outright for lack of evidence.

Doesn't change the fact that I don't think he's qualified for the Supreme Court though. His conduct at the hearing and the amount of lying and stretching of the truth that we've seen from him confirm that, regardless of whether or not he assaulted Ms. Ford.

What lies are we talking about exactly?

Nor do I consider all cops guilty until proven innocent, consider the banking, healthcare, and education systems racist, or consider the entire police force racist (there does seem to be a certain level of institutional racism, but that does not mean that I think all police officers are racist). And I have never advocated punching people that I disagree with.

Sorry...I didn't mean to imply that everyone on the left these days advocates such things. I was simply saying that it's the narrative that the left is pushing lately...not that you or anyone else agrees with all of it.

Spare me.

You don't think this has affected his professional and personal life?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If you don't have any source to support your original assertion, then it would appear your comment was a "shoot from the hip" sort of thing with no evidence to support it.

People don't care about evidence anymore. I find "grasping" to be credible and think his bravery in coming forth with these allegations about the validity of the "polls" should be applauded.

He's an inspiration to people who don't trust polls everywhere.

• Agree
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You just proved my point....he has to prove his innocence, instead Ford needing to prove his guilt. We're talking about an incident which supposedly happened 36 years ago...even those Ford claims were present don't remember it.

Short of time travel, how is he supposed to prove his innocence?
Not being a judge or jury and being a private citizen, I am within my rights to believe that he may be guilty of the actions he is accused of. My post was a direct response to your incredulous question about whether or not the investigation might change anyone's mind. I can say that the results of the investigation may very well change my opinion of the matter. Based on what I've seen, there's nothing that absolutely convinces me of his guilt. Evidence suggests it, but there's room for error or misinterpretation there.

What evidence? I haven't seen any evidence for this incident and I've read multiple articles about it.
Ford's testimony is evidence. Kavenaugh's calendar is evidence. Ford having discussed the incident with her therapist in 2012 is evidence. As I said, it's circumstantial, but it is evidence nonetheless.

What lies are we talking about exactly?
His handling of judicial appointments during the bush administration, his handling of stolen documents from Democratic congressmen, his claims about the Maryland drinking age, his explanations of the statements in his yearbook. They've been detailed multiple times in this and other threads.

Sorry...I didn't mean to imply that everyone on the left these days advocates such things. I was simply saying that it's the narrative that the left is pushing lately...not that you or anyone else agrees with all of it.
As someone on the left, I don't see this apart from a few fringe elements on the extreme left. These views are not anything that "The Left" as a group is pushing.

Any fallout from his demonstrated actions is on him. I doubt the attempted rape allegations will have any significant effect on his future career though, assuming that no further evidence is uncovered. Sure, he'll have to deal with a few weeks of discomfort, but that's part of being a public figure.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
His handling of judicial appointments during the bush administration, his handling of stolen documents from Democratic congressmen, his claims about the Maryland drinking age, his explanations of the statements in his yearbook. They've been detailed multiple times in this and other threads.

It's amazing the amount of mind-reading, projection and speculation that is going into Dr. Ford while they completely ignore the fact that Kavanaugh clearly lied numerous times during his tirade.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Who cares? This is a hearing to see if he is worthy of sitting on the highest court in the country for the rest of his life, making decisions that will affect generations of Americans.

This is bigger than any one man's hurt feelings.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Not being a judge or jury and being a private citizen, I am within my rights to believe that he may be guilty of the actions he is accused of.

Absolutely....in fact, as this is a nation that values individual freedoms, you're well within your rights to believe just about anything. You could believe that Hitler had some valid foreign policies...you could believe the earth is flat...you could believe that your dreams predict the future when correctly interpreted. The freedom to believe as you will and the freedom to express those beliefs is a right guaranteed by a bunch of old wealthy white men who helped create this nation long ago.

It's worth mentioning though....that I have the right to disagree, and just as if you held any of the beliefs I listed above, I think it's important for people like me to explain why your beliefs are wrong.

My post was a direct response to your incredulous question about whether or not the investigation might change anyone's mind. I can say that the results of the investigation may very well change my opinion of the matter. Based on what I've seen, there's nothing that absolutely convinces me of his guilt. Evidence suggests it, but there's room for error or misinterpretation there.

Fair enough.

Ford's testimony is evidence. Kavenaugh's calendar is evidence. Ford having discussed the incident with her therapist in 2012 is evidence. As I said, it's circumstantial, but it is evidence nonetheless.

Ford's testimony is the accusation. It can contain evidence (things like the time this occurred, the location, other people who were present, etc)....but that's the part that stands out to me the most, it doesn't actually contain any evidence. She's named people who she remembers being there....but from what I've read, not a single one is willing to say under oath that they were in fact there.

I'll state that I do think it's likely that someone had an incident with her...but I don't think she accurately remembers who it was or what really happened. That, or she's leaving out details about the incident which might put her in a less flattering light. For example, there's aspects of her testimony that don't make much sense. She claimed to have gone to this house with her friend after swimming...yet she doesn't recall why. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that it was because they wanted to do some drinking. If you're a parent, or if you were ever a teenager who drank at parties, then you know how this would sound coming from a 14yo.....

Parent- "So these older boys were drinking and there weren't any parents home?"
14yo Girl- "Yeah"
Parent- "So what were you and your friend doing there? You know you aren't supposed to be hanging out with older boys who are drinking...I don't care if it was the middle of the afternoon."
14yo Girl- "We were just hanging out."
Parent- "Why not hang out at the club? You already had your swimsuit...why go there?
14yo Girl- "Well...I don't really remember why we went."

You wouldn't believe this story from your daughter, and the only reason to believe it now is because it's 36 years later. It's a couple of teenage girls who were hanging out with a group of older guys who were drinking...you think they were there just to socialize or kill time? I don't, I think it's likely that one or both girls had a crush on one or more of the guys...and chances are they were drinking too.

Then there's the matter of the swimsuit. Unless I'm mistaken, she claiming to have had it on for hours underneath her clothes. Is there anyone who wouldn't have used the bathroom for five minutes and removed it? A completely dry swimsuit is uncomfortable under regular clothes after just 10 minutes...why keep it on for hours? I don't think she did...I think she wants to avoid the appearance of deception. She doesn't want anyone to think that perhaps she wore the swimsuit out because she didn't want her parents to know she was going with a friend to hang out with some boys. Older boys with alcohol no less.

Then there's the "I went upstairs to use the bathroom part"...why? Why not not use the one downstairs? Moreover, why would two guys...even drunk guys...follow her as she went to use the bathroom with the intent of raping her? There aren't many guys who are turned on by the specific fetish involved there....and I would imagine that number drops further amongst 16yo guys.

Does it seem a little more plausible that maybe, just maybe, she went up there with the boy she liked after having some drinks with the intention of just making out....then as things began to go further than she intended....she tried to get him to stop, which he was reluctant to do, but he eventually did or was interrupted by another person there?

If that was the story she told, I'd be more inclined to believe it. I'd also like to say that if some kind of sexual assault took place...obviously none of those things I mentioned would excuse it or in any way make it her fault. The idea that two giys, whoever they are, just decided atcthe drop of a hat to rape a 14yo girl they had just met seems unlikely. There's usually more to these stories than the victim mentions.

I've never heard of the judicial appointments, stolen documents, or the "drinking age"....though I did hear his explanation for the yearbook, and it does sound like a lie....but I certainly can't prove it.

If you'd like to explain or provide links for the rest, I'll read it.

As someone on the left, I don't see this apart from a few fringe elements on the extreme left. These views are not anything that "The Left" as a group is pushing.

Really? Have you been living overseas or something?

What would you say are the top 3 issues the left is pushing these days?

Any fallout from his demonstrated actions is on him. I doubt the attempted rape allegations will have any significant effect on his future career though, assuming that no further evidence is uncovered. Sure, he'll have to deal with a few weeks of discomfort, but that's part of being a public figure.

That's incredible to me that you believe that. I've seen people lose jobs simply because social media claimed they did something that was "racist". The idea that these rape accusations won't affect the rest of his life seems unlikely.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Who cares? This is a hearing to see if he is worthy of sitting on the highest court in the country for the rest of his life, making decisions that will affect generations of Americans.

This is bigger than any one man's hurt feelings.

Gotcha....basic human decency and fairness go out the window for anyone in a position to influence people's lives.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm suggesting that it is beyond credible that he didn't know that he was underage when he was drinking in high school. He's not a moron and the well-publicized law changed just as he would have come of age.

Wait....so the drinking age was 18 at one point in Maryland? Well publicized or not, we're talking about 1982. There's no internet...so unless he reads the paper or watches the news, I don't think that's a reasonable assumption.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So, while some seniors were legal to drink, he wasn't; and it isn't clear that these parties took place only during his senior year.

He was also quite belligerent and defensive when questioned about his drinking.

Does the fact that he drank underage or wrote something mean about a girl in his yearbook really relevant? Frankly, I'd be rather miffed if I was in his position and those questions were directed at me. They don't have any relevance to either the rape allegations or his character as a judge.

He was a teenage male in 1982.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Wait....so the drinking age was 18 at one point in Maryland? Well publicized or not, we're talking about 1982. There's no internet...so unless he reads the paper or watches the news, I don't think that's a reasonable assumption.

There was no Internet in 1986 but I was acutely aware of when Texas raised the drinking age to 21. The fact is he admitted to underage drinking and falsely claimed that the drinking age was 18 when it was 21. There's no hand waving that away.

Does the fact that he drank underage or wrote something mean about a girl in his yearbook really relevant? Frankly, I'd be rather miffed if I was in his position and those questions were directed at me. They don't have any relevance to either the rape allegations or his character as a judge.

They do when he lies about them and perjured himself before the committee.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Gotcha....basic human decency and fairness go out the window for anyone in a position to influence people's lives.

This isn't about "basic human decency." It's about a nasty woman's words coming between Brett and the power he feels he's entitled to. Best case scenario -- he put on a performance that he knew his master would approve of.

You think such an obvious puppet belongs on SCOTUS? I don't.

Worst case -- he genuinely came unglued when he realized that the fix might not be in...

You think anyone that fragile belongs on SCOTUS? I don't.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Indeed -- let us not forget that Bill Clinton wasn't impeached over adultery... but for lying about it.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
People don't care about evidence anymore. I find "grasping" to be credible and think his bravery in coming forth with these allegations about the validity of the "polls" should be applauded.

He's an inspiration to people who don't trust polls everywhere.

I hope you're being facetious about that lol.

If there's some other system of gauging public opinion that's better than a well-constructed poll, I've yet to see it.

People who reject polls are eerily similar to those who claim that the peer review system isn't valid in the scientific process when debating things like evolution and vaccines.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

He was a teenage male in 1982.

And he lied about it to Congress in 2018. That has quite a bit of relevance to his character as a judge.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There was no Internet in 1986 but I was acutely aware of when Texas raised the drinking age to 21.

So because you knew the drinking age...he must have. Solid logic.

The fact is he admitted to underage drinking and falsely claimed that the drinking age was 18 when it was 21. There's no hand waving that away.

Unless he genuinely believed it was 18 at the time.

Cuz there's no way he just remembered incorrectly lol. You'll accept a 36 year old accusation with no recollection of date or place....but this guy got the drinking age wrong! He's obviously lying lol.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I hope you're being facetious about that lol.

Just making a point Rob. It's duplicitous to argue "what the evidence shows" when you're ready to believe in accusations without any evidence.

Does evidence matter or not?

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ford's testimony is the accusation. It can contain evidence (things like the time this occurred, the location, other people who were present, etc)....but that's the part that stands out to me the most, it doesn't actually contain any evidence. She's named people who she remembers being there....but from what I've read, not a single one is willing to say under oath that they were in fact there.
Testimony - even from the victim - is in fact evidence. Most jurisdictions do not require any corroborating evidence for rape cases, and rape is the only charge that has historically carried that caveat (Source). Now, that doesn't mean that the victim's testimony alone is always enough to convince a prosecutor to bring the case, let alone convince the jury, but further corroborating evidence is not required. The people who she says were there say that they don't remember, not that it didn't happen. Not surprising for a drunken party 35 years ago that she can't remember the date of. It doesn't help her case, but it doesn't really hurt it ether.

I'll state that I do think it's likely that someone had an incident with her...but I don't think she accurately remembers who it was or what really happened. That, or she's leaving out details about the incident which might put her in a less flattering light. For example, there's aspects of her testimony that don't make much sense. She claimed to have gone to this house with her friend after swimming...yet she doesn't recall why. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that it was because they wanted to do some drinking. If you're a parent, or if you were ever a teenager who drank at parties, then you know how this would sound coming from a 14yo.....
Typically parents aren't asking about the event 35 years later though.

I don't, I think it's likely that one or both girls had a crush on one or more of the guys...and chances are they were drinking too.
Possibly. Not sure how that's relevant though.

Then there's the matter of the swimsuit. Unless I'm mistaken, she claiming to have had it on for hours underneath her clothes. Is there anyone who wouldn't have used the bathroom for five minutes and removed it? A completely dry swimsuit is uncomfortable under regular clothes after just 10 minutes...why keep it on for hours? I don't think she did...I think she wants to avoid the appearance of deception. She doesn't want anyone to think that perhaps she wore the swimsuit out because she didn't want her parents to know she was going with a friend to hang out with some boys. Older boys with alcohol no less.
Perhaps she didn't bring a change of underwear with her? With regards to comfort, I'm not a woman, so I can't speak from personal experience, but I've seen plenty of women walking around with bikini tops under their clothes all day at amusement parks and music festivals, so I can't imagine that it's that uncomfortable.

Then there's the "I went upstairs to use the bathroom part"...why? Why not not use the one downstairs? Moreover, why would two guys...even drunk guys...follow her as she went to use the bathroom with the intent of raping her? There aren't many guys who are turned on by the specific fetish involved there....and I would imagine that number drops further amongst 16yo guys.
Maybe it was occupied? Maybe someone had puked in there or taken an especially nasty dump and it smelled bad? Maybe there wasn't a downstairs bathroom? Plenty of plausible reasons. And as for why two guys intent on rape would follow a girl to a place where she's isolated and potentially has removed articles of clothing, I'll let you answer that.

Does it seem a little more plausible that maybe, just maybe, she went up there with the boy she liked after having some drinks with the intention of just making out....then as things began to go further than she intended....she tried to get him to stop, which he was reluctant to do, but he eventually did or was interrupted by another person there?
Even if this is the case, it's still a crime (no means no, not "you get five more minutes") and it means Kavanaugh has lied under oath. He claims to have never met Ford, not know who she is, and never have committed any sort of sexual act with her.

The idea that two giys, whoever they are, just decided atcthe drop of a hat to rape a 14yo girl they had just met seems unlikely. There's usually more to these stories than the victim mentions.
Two drunk guys who have a history of rude and crude behavior and who have the views of women that Judge and Kavanaugh appeared to have during their high school days (based on the yearbook notes) assaulting a girl doesn't sound that far-fetched to me.

I've never heard of the judicial appointments, stolen documents, or the "drinking age"....though I did hear his explanation for the yearbook, and it does sound like a lie....but I certainly can't prove it.

If you'd like to explain or provide links for the rest, I'll read it.
Here are details of lies and misleading statements made during Kavanaugh's testimony about the rape allegations.

The lies about stolen documents (or at least extreme obliviousness) are detailed here.

Lies about working on judicial appointments are here.

On the drinking age stuff, he was 17 when this occurred, so even had he not been aware that the drinking age had been raised to 21, it still would have been illegal.

Really? Have you been living overseas or something?

What would you say are the top 3 issues the left is pushing these days?
Universal healthcare (not that the current healthcare system is "racist"), tax reform (mainly getting rid of the massive tax cut that the wealthy received), and the environment. The student loan debt crisis, police accountability, and justice for immigrants are also big themes.

That's incredible to me that you believe that. I've seen people lose jobs simply because social media claimed they did something that was "racist". The idea that these rape accusations won't affect the rest of his life seems unlikely.
Rape allegations don't seem to have affected Trump very much. Or Clinton. Powerful individuals tend to do ok as long as the allegations are relatively unfounded. He might lose out on some opportunities (Kavanaugh's class at Harvard that he was going to teach next year has apparently been cancelled), but that's a far cry from "ruining his life and destroying his career."

Upvote 0