Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Messianic
<SPAN class=t18B>Paris mayor condemns attack on French Jews at
anti-war rally
</SPAN>

<SPAN class=t18B>
<P lang=en dir=ltr><SPAN class=t13>PARIS - Paris Mayor Bertrand Delanoe condemned an attack on young French Jews at a demonstration against the war in Iraq, calling Monday for respect and dignity.

The Hashomer Hatzair youth organization said several dozen assailants struck two of its members with metal bars on the sidelines of a protest Saturday. They were treated for bruises at a hospital. Two other members suffered less serious violence, the group said.

"In the name of Parisians, I want to condemn, as strongly as possible, these unacceptable acts," Delanoe said in a statement. "In Paris, everyone must be respected in dignity, no matter what their culture, identity or spiritual faith."

The anti-war demonstration in Paris gathered 90,000 people, according to police, and was largely peaceful.

In the last two years, France has suffered a wave of violence against Jewish schools, temples and cemeteries that coincided with new fighting in the Middle East.

The violence, which peaked a year ago when a Marseille synagogue was burned to the ground, has markedly decreased. But Muslim-Jewish relations remain tense. France has the largest Jewish community in western Europe and one of the continent's biggest Muslim populations.

Some Jewish leaders have said they fear the war in Iraq will trigger new tensions.
</SPAN>
<P lang=en dir=ltr><SPAN class=t13>France has had a real bad time of it in the last couple year and a half or so with anti-semitism. Many french Jews are immigrating to Israel these days despite the threat of war over there. </SPAN>
<P lang=en dir=ltr><SPAN class=t13>Comments?</SPAN></SPAN>

Talmid HaYarok

Feb 3, 2003
Semi-Nomad
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Messianic
Yay, and now Britian comparing Israel with Iraq.&nbsp; :/

I don't care what your politcal stance is (and personally I'd probably rather avoid it), the two are quite a contrast as far as leadership and governments go.

I'll post some more startling news in here a little later.

Upvote 0