catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bishop McElroy accused critics of 'homophobia' and distorting Church teaching .

Attacks on Fr James Martin show a ‘cancer’ within the US Church, says bishop | CatholicHerald.co.uk

While I haven't read the book of Fr Martin in question, the basic point that in the U.S. Christians have trouble being judgemental -- and that any and all very much need to repent of and change and stop doing that judgmentalism, that judging others as people -- is a very important message we need to hear preached in all churches.

Reactions: Colin
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Did Bishop McElroy say "Chastity isn't important" ?
He downplays it. Chastity is where we refrain from all immoral sexual activity and impure thoughts. For the unmarried, it means not fornicating or masturbating, among other things. For the married, it means only having sex with your spouse. Homosexual activity is off the table for all persons at all times. All Christians are called to chastity, appropriate to their state in life (married, single, celibate, etc). Suggesting otherwise goes against the bible and sacred tradition.

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
He downplays it. Chastity is where we refrain from all immoral sexual activity and impure thoughts. For the unmarried, it means not fornicating or masturbating, among other things. For the married, it means only having sex with your spouse. Homosexual activity is off the table for all persons at all times. All Christians are called to chastity, appropriate to their state in life (married, single, celibate, etc). Suggesting otherwise goes against the bible and sacred tradition.
So in your convoluted response to my simple question "Did Bishop McElroy say "Chastity isn't important" ?" it take it you are replying "No" .

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So in your convoluted response to my simple question "Did Bishop McElroy say "Chastity isn't important" ?" it take it you are replying "No" .
I'm trying to have a discussion. Sorry if I mistakenly assumed you were interested in discussing the situation.

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
I'm trying to have a discussion. Sorry if I mistakenly assumed you were interested in discussing the situation.
And as part of the discussion I asked you "Did Bishop McElroy say "Chastity isn't important" ?"

You ducked giving an answer .

• Agree
Reactions: Targaryen
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
And as part of the discussion I asked you "Did Bishop McElroy say "Chastity isn't important" ?"

You ducked giving an answer .
I explained my original response regarding the bishop's statement. His response about chastity is not in keeping with what I've been taught regarding chastity. He is wrong to downplay it, especially in such a way as to support a priest that is going against church teaching regarding homosexual relationships. He was also wrong to equate Church opposition to SSM and homosexuality to homophobia.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Fr. Martin, who is one of the most well-known spokespersons in the American Church, took care to submit his book for review and approval by his Jesuit superiors.

I am presently involved in a bi-weekly retreat/study group of the works of Teilhard deChardin, who is arguably the most important theologian of the 20th century. Reactionary forces within the Church sought to silence him as well.

One of deChardin's beliefs is that spiritual evolution must keep up with physical and technological evolution. Fr. Martin's book is a step in the right direction.

Upvote 0